Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 05-12-2006, 08:41   #16
Casket
Asset

Excellent review Sir.

Renee and I both picked up coats from Beyond Fleece at their spring sale down in Eugene Oregon a few weeks back.

I posted a write up here: http://lightfighter.net/groupee/foru...1/m/4291000332

Gary
Casket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:55   #17
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Gary:

Good review by you as well.

I looked at the Desert Jacket too, but went with the Cold Fusion for the added insulation and flexibility. Looks like I made the right choice, but had to pay a lot more for it.

Scott is a member here also, he was very helpful and eager to assist with my questions and order as well.

Next time you hear that they are having a sale, please PM me first, if you would.

Thanks!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:00   #18
Casket
Asset

Roger that. I’m on their e-mail list now, so I should get some advance warning. …I think they have an on site sale about every 6 months or so.

Gary
Casket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:47   #19
Simple Simon
SF Candidate

I have been wanting one of these since this thread was started. Ordered mine today as my christmas present from my wife. Ordered a black Cold Fusion similar to The Reaper's with a few different options. Came out to 269$ this one I will use for personal use and if I like it and it holds up well might buy one in khaki for use on deployments. Thanks for the write up and review TR, how is that jacket holding up???
Old 11-17-2006, 15:40   #20
Rotor Strike

I have a cold fusion that has taken me to Afghanistan and back. It is the finest soft shell I've ever had. How can you beat custom sizing and options for just a bit over what the regular companies offer?!? I will own their gear until it wears out, or I do.
Old 11-17-2006, 23:17   #21
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Simon
I have been wanting one of these since this thread was started. Ordered mine today as my christmas present from my wife. Ordered a black Cold Fusion similar to The Reaper's with a few different options. Came out to 269$ this one I will use for personal use and if I like it and it holds up well might buy one in khaki for use on deployments. Thanks for the write up and review TR, how is that jacket holding up???
So far, just fine.

Wore it this week in freezing rain and high winds with temps in the 30s, worked great. First time I have had to install the hood.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 12-09-2006, 10:07   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Okay, additional follow-up.

The jacket is working well. It is, however, not a single layer garment in extreme conditions.

Just noticed over the past few days that in cold weather, it is best layered up with fleece underneath. I was standing around outside with temps in the 20s and a bit of a breeze and I found that my arms were cold. I was wearing a turtleneck and a Patagonia fleece vest underneath, my torso under the vest was warm, but my arms were chilly.

It is not a particularly heavy or thick garment, so clearly it needs some support underneath when the temps drop. This is in no way a failure, just an added note that as a 40-70 degree jacket, it is fine as a standalone, but when the weather turns cold, you need to layer up underneath.

On another note, through the assistance of some friends (Thanks Bill and Gary!), I recently acquired a pair of the Beyond Steel Pants. I am still doing some T&E on them, will let you know how they work at some point in the future.

TR

Old 12-09-2006, 11:40   #23
Simple Simon
SF Candidate

My cold fusion has been shipped and will arrive Dec. 12. I can't wait to try it out. Scott also gave me a discount on my next item as I told him I was military, and planned on purchasing some more gear after I try out my cold fusion.

I bought a black one for my personal use but will try and get a Khaki one and maybe some other stuff, before I deploy.

Overall my experience thus far has been great, I also told him we were trying out his stuff and writing it up in these forums and he was pleased.

More to follow after I test my christmas present(Cold Fusion) out.
Old 12-17-2007, 18:27   #24
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Okay, additional follow-up. The jacket is working well. TR
Sir, any additional thoughts? How is it holding up? Have you run into anything better?

I am looking for something to replace my Arcteryx Bravo jacket, which lacks armpit zips and is therefore useless for aerobic activities in the cold. I like the warmth of my simple SPEARS fleece, but its a bit bulky, so I'm leaning towards another softshell.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT

Last edited by jatx; 12-17-2007 at 19:29.
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 20:21   #25
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I had some minor frustrations with it, and while I have worn it since, have found that the Mountain Hardwear parka is much more what I was looking for. If the sleeves were an inch shorter, it would be perfect.

TR

Old 12-18-2007, 05:55   #26
jatx
Area Commander

Thank you, I'll check it out.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote