Old 07-09-2008, 20:39   #1
gregh
Asset

Michael Echanis

I searched the site but didn't find and old discussions of him.

I was hoping that since this place has so many old hands, people could tell some stories.

First, does anyone know what his actual military background and Vietnam service was? And are there people here that went through his course at Ft Bragg (or other locations) that could let us know what the class was like and what he was like?

Way back in the 80’s at 3rd Batt, myself and buddies bought his books and spent hundreds of hours trying to teach ourselves techniques from them. We learned a lot, but of course never as much as from a qualified instructor. But it was fun and educational.

Thanks

Greg
gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:49   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
I searched the site but didn't find and old discussions of him.................
I think he is mentioned here and there in a few threads.

He hung out with Jake's SCUBA Team, he was not Active Duty at the time, when 5th Group was on the North side of Gruber road on Smoke Bomb Hill. Must have been around 1976ish. Did killer PT. Don't know what his active duty service was but I got the impression he was not SF qualified.

Anything else I have would be second hand or rumors.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:39   #3
504PIR
Guerrilla

I believe he was member of a Ranger Company in VN & WIA as well.
504PIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:45   #4
Mosby Raider
Quiet Professional

Pete, you're right, Sanders was on 594, and I think that's why Euchanis was there so much.
Reality has far outstripped our ability to satirize it. Unknown
Mosby Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:45   #5
Kasik
Quiet Professional

Echanis Update

There is another thread here that I've contributed to recently reference MDE.

The Wiki Page about Mike is accurate and referenced. I know. I did most of it.

About 16 months ago now I helped Mike's family sort through a number of things having to do with their son and brother.

Too many myths, lies, "legends" and folks looking to exploit his name and image for their own agendas or profit.

Along with family archives and photos I did the first FOIA for both Mike and Chuck's military records; contacted a number of "OGs" who actually had first hand contact and interaction with Echanis at Bragg, Little Creek and later in NIC; did some traveling for research purposes and did a formal inquiry of the President Carter Library for records / telegram traffic in September 1978.

Thanks to Master Chief Bob Nissley (Retired), who knew Mike well and remains close to the Echanis Family, invaluable documentation was recovered to include the U.S. embassy (Managua) documentation and NIC GOV documentation beginning on September 8, 1978, when the aviation crash occurred near Lake Nicaragua.

Echanis was inducted into the 2013 Black Belt Hall of Fame last year.

The family is giving consideration to have a legacy book about Mike done, family authorized, to set the record straight once and for all.

Below image is of the Presidential Certificate sent to the Family in February 1979 by then President Jimmy Carter. It commemorates Echanis' service to the nation in the Armed Forces. Such certificates are very, very rare - especially for someone who was not in the Service at the time of his passing - but - as others know - was definitely still in the game.

Image first published in Black Belt Magazine, August/September 2013.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:47   #6
Kasik
Quiet Professional

Presidential Certificate

As provided by the Echanis Family.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Presidential Certificate.jpg (60.3 KB, 74 views)