Old 11-07-2016, 15:43   #1
Dobi84
Asset

USAR to USA 18x Age dilemna

I'm in need of some assistance here. I'm a 32 yr old male enlisted in the USAR. I've talked to some local recruiters and they are all telling me that I've passed the window to go SF due to my age.

Although sparse, from what I've gathered on the forums, there have been guys granted waivers and even candidates graduating from the Q course in their mid to upper 30s.

What are my options here? Where are these guys that were granted waivers and can you give me your recruiters name? Does anyone know of someone that can help me out?

I've came a long way in the last year, to make this happen, only to be let down that I'm too old. Please, all advice is welcome
Dobi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 18:24   #2
Joker
Quiet Professional

http://www.goarmy.com/special-forces...-benefits.html

Quote:
Do You Have What It Takes To Wear The Green Beret?
Qualifications

Army Soldiers who wish to join the Special Forces must meet the following requirements:
20-30 years old
Be a U.S. citizen
Be a high school diploma graduate
Achieve a General Technical score of 110 or higher and a combat operation score of 100 on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery.
Qualify for a secret security clearance.
Qualify and volunteer for Airborne training
You must take and pass the Army Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA)
You must successfully complete the Pre-Basic Task list
You must have 20/20 or corrected to 20/20 in both near and distant vision in both eyes
One year of college is preferred, but it is not a mandatory for enlistment
These are the rules.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 20:11   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I would ask you if this is about your wants, or the needs of a team of individuals.

I think it is pretty hard to be objective when you are trying to accomplish something like SF, but realistically, your shelf life is already more than half gone. By the time you got to an ODA, you will be at least two years older, and 34 years old. Most guys are off teams by the time they are 36. The time to find that out is not in the middle of a firefight at 15,000', with your teammates' lives on the line.

Sometimes, doors that were once open to you will close, as you get older. That is life.

I do not think AD will give you a waiver, unless you are bringing something very special.

The Guard may be willing to.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 20:39   #4
Dobi84
Asset

I called SORB. They informed that the in-service (AD) age limit is 36 and suggested that I take whatever MOS I can get and request a 4187 once I get to my assigned unit.

Only problem is since I'm not airborne qualified nor proficient in a foreign language I'm ineligible for anything else. (Which by BTW was only 11X and 35P)

On a side note I talked to AF recruiter and not only did they offer me several SOF jobs but were very enthusiastic and helpful. What a shame
Dobi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:00   #5
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobi84 View Post
On a side note I talked to AF recruiter and not only did they offer me several SOF jobs but were very enthusiastic and helpful. What a shame
Aim High, and good luck.
Razor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:04   #6
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobi84 View Post

LOL, I bet they did!

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:18   #7
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

USAF...World's largest para-military organization. As for 11X or 35P...Lots of great team guys came from the Infantry and Intel branches.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote