Old 07-18-2011, 14:03   #1
TB1077
SF Candidate

Opinions on path to 18C

I would love to hear from current/past special forces engineers regarding their path, or opinions on current path options, to becoming an 18C.

I just spoke with a NG SF recruiter discussing the idea of enlisting 12B Combat Engineer instead of REP-63 and going 11B OSUT. He was an 18C and felt that the 12B OSUT would be more beneficial than the infantry OSUT for those wanting to become an 18C. I was concerned that being non-prior service I might be behind in the basic infantry skills necessary and he felt that the basic skills from 11B OSUT would be covered in much better detail in the Q (pending successful selection of course).

I'm looking for thoughts from those that were 18X or REP-63 as well as guys that came in from other avenues that were either happy with their path, or in hindsight might have done things differently.

Thanks in advance.
TB1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 14:23   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Tell you what, after you've read this board for another six months ask that question again. Not that it's a stupid question, but I think if you do "your own" reading you might come to "your own" conclusions. If that is too difficult you might want to be a RANGER instead...... Remember, N is for knowledge......

Let me know if you need any further hand holding......

Team Sergeant
Old 07-18-2011, 14:48   #3
TB1077
SF Candidate

Thanks Team Sergeant. Fair enough. I have time before I plan on signing anything, so I will search on. No hand holding required.

I was asking this question for two reasons. The first is obviously my own personal situation, but also wondering if the Army might ever look at fine tuning the 18X/REP-63 programs to better prepare the SF candidates for their MOS's as well spreading the candidates that are not selected to places other than infantry/airborne infantry. Just curious.

Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2011, 14:56   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB1077 View Post
Thanks Team Sergeant. Fair enough. I have time before I plan on signing anything, so I will search on. No hand holding required.

I was asking this question for two reasons. The first is obviously my own personal situation, but also wondering if the Army might ever look at fine tuning the 18X/REP-63 programs to better prepare the SF candidates for their MOS's as well spreading the candidates that are not selected to places other than infantry/airborne infantry. Just curious.

Thanks again.
Asking for more hand holding?

Let me tell you something Sally, long ago there was no "preparation" if you felt you had what it took to earn the Green Beret you enlisted and attended the Special Forces Qualification course. If you didn't make it you were given a pat of the back a cup of Joe and a ride to the 82nd Airborne Division.
This is not a reality show, if for some reason you have any hesitation Special Forces is not for you. If you feel "unprepared" don't attent. If you feel you need time to mentally prepare, you might want to join the Air Force, or Coast Guard there's no ground combatants in either.

Spare me preparation.

There's a reason terrorists run from us.....
Old 07-18-2011, 14:59   #5
TB1077
SF Candidate

Understood. Thank you sir.