Medal Goes To Soldier Who Jumped On Grenade

USA Today
December 13, 2006
Pg. 10
Medal Goes To Soldier Who Jumped On Grenade
By Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - Pfc. Ross McGinnis was perched in the gunner's hatch of a
Humvee when a grenade sailed past him and into the truck, where four
other soldiers sat during a Dec. 4 mission in Baghdad.

McGinnis shouted a warning to the other soldiers before hurling himself
onto the grenade, lodged near the vehicle's radio, shortly before it
blew up and killed him.

For saving the lives of the other soldiers and sacrificing his own,
McGinnis, 19, of Knox, Pa., has been posthumously awarded the Silver
Star, according to a U.S. military statement released in Iraq.

The medal is given to U.S. Army servicemembers who have been cited for
gallantry in action.

McGinnis was the youngest soldier in his company. His platoon sergeant,
Sgt. 1st Class Cedric Thomas, was quoted as saying that McGinnis yelled,
"Grenade ... it's in the truck!" before the explosion.

McGinnis chose to throw himself on the explosive even though he had
enough time to jump out of the truck, Thomas said. "I looked out of the
corner of my eye as I was crouching down and I saw him pin it down," he
said.

The four other soldiers riding in the vehicle were wounded, but three
have recovered and returned to duty. The fourth is being treated in
Germany.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 19:26   #2
skeeter8654
Asset

This just shows how absolutely arbitrary the awards process is. A silver star for MOH actions. RIP warrior, we will not forget.
skeeter8654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 21:34   #3
CoLawman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter8654
This just shows how absolutely arbitrary the awards process is. A silver star for MOH actions. RIP warrior, we will not forget.
I do not know all the legalize , but am certain that his receiving the Silver Star does not hamper his consideration for the MOH. I believe it is fitting that the Silver Star is immediately awarded. The MOH, as you are aware, is a much longer process that can take years.

His actions are similar to the most recent recipient of the MOH by the way.
CoLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 00:10   #4
skeeter8654
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoLawman
I do not know all the legalize , but am certain that his receiving the Silver Star does not hamper his consideration for the MOH. I believe it is fitting that the Silver Star is immediately awarded. The MOH, as you are aware, is a much longer process that can take years.

That's not the way the awards process works. Lesser awards are not given as a timely band-aid while a higher award is being processed. You are somewhat right in that it is possible to upgrade his award, but his COC put him up for an award and it was either awarded, downgraded, or upgraded. This is purely a supposition on my part but I find it hard to believe that his COC did not recommend him for the Medal of Honor, after alerting the occupants of his vehicle and then knowingly sheilding them from the grenade with his body, subsequently saving 4 Soldiers lives. If that is indeed the case, then somewhere at some level the award had to be downgraded to a Silver Star. That's a lot of assumptions on my part, but that's not right, IMNSHO.
skeeter8654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:25   #5
37F5V
Guerrilla

Well regardless, that young PFC had more honor than any medal you could pin on his chest. RIP young Soldier.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:28   #6
x SF med
Quiet Professional

RIP PFC, you are a hero.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:37   #7
Jaeger1980
Asset

R.I.P. PFC Ross McGinnis.

My deepest sympathy to his family.

Respectfully,
Jäger
Old 12-15-2006, 09:02   #8
stakk4
Guerrilla

I'm sure an MOH was not his motivation. You know he loved his brothers.

RIP, Warrior.
"You are undoubtedly familiar with men who are quiet and strong and seem to be doing nothing. They do not appear to be tense and do not appear to be in disarray. They simply appear. This is exactly the appearance for which they strive. When it is necessary to attack, they do so with complete resolve, sure of themselves, neither overbearing in attitude nor with false humility. They attack with one purpose and one purpose only, to destroy the enemy." --- Miyamoto Musashi
stakk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:21   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

RIP, PFC McGinnis.

Thank you for your sacrifice.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:13   #10
vsvo
Area Commander

Rest in peace, PFC McGinnis.
vsvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:48   #11
Goggles Pizano
Area Commander

Rest in peace PFC McGinnis, your valour is not unnoticed by a grateful nation.
You ask; What is our policy? I will say; “It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us: to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy.” You ask; What is our aim? I can answer with one word: Victory—victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.-Winston Churchill
Goggles Pizano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 13:24   #12
soldierdoc_2005
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoLawman

He and two ther Soldiers are also up for the MOH. All three did the same thing...shield their buddies from a grenade.

I just read it on military.com the other day.

R.I.P.

~Gene Kranz, Flight Director, Apollo 13
soldierdoc_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 19:52   #13
Airbornelawyer

"Soldier who died smothering enemy grenade to be recommended for Medal of Honor"

http://www.estripes.com/articleprint...5&archive=true
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 21:58   #14
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter8654
That's not the way the awards process works. Lesser awards are not given as a timely band-aid while a higher award is being processed.
Skeeter, I'm not sure where you obtained this information, but it seems from the information Airborne Lawyer posted in this thread that your information isn't correct:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...light=mcginnis

I vaguely recall it happening at least a few times during the Vietnam War as well, but I may be incorrect.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 22:56   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Army Regulation 600-8-22

Sec. 578.8 General rules.

(c) Interim awards and awards of a lesser decoration.

(1) To ensure that a deserving act, achievement, or service receives recognition, the appropriate authority may promptly award a suitable lesser military decoration pending final action on a recommendation for a higher award, except for retiring U.S. Army general officers. When a higher award is approved, the approving authority will revoke the interim award in the same orders published for the higher award. The decoration will be returned by the recipient, unless the higher award is approved posthumously, in which case the next of kin will be permitted to retain both awards.

(2) The authority taking final action may award the decoration recommended, award a lesser decoration (or consider the interim award as adequate recognition), or in the absence of an interim award, disapprove award of any decoration.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote