Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 05-23-2006, 07:38   #16
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
And that Damn Tank was still out there....
that damn tank was replaced...the one you saw was a newer, improved version...probably didn't have a space underneath it that would accomodate a claymore mine...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:59   #17
bost1751
Quiet Professional

That damn tank has become a topic of conversation.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 16:50   #18
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bost1751
That damn tank has become a topic of conversation.
it was quite the topic back then, as well...strangely enough, i was on the roster of officers for courts martial back then...for some strange reason, i was challenged off the panel...by both sides...

but back to the original question, when i was the XO on A-8, the company SGM threatened to send me to the 7th Army NCO Academy...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 05-24-2006, 19:06   #19
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Damn Steve! You should have taken him up on it. You would have come out of it with a promotion. You would have been an NCO.
Old 05-24-2006, 19:09   #20
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
Damn Steve! You should have taken him up on it. You would have come out of it with a promotion. You would have been an NCO.
the SGM's concern is that before OCS, i had managed to make SSG without attending an NCO academy...he thought i was in need of remediation...
Old 05-24-2006, 22:11   #21
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
the SGM's concern is that before OCS, i had managed to make SSG without attending an NCO academy...he thought i was in need of remediation...
There ya go! SGMs know what is needed. Especially when it comes to XOs' of A Teams.

My SGM tried to get me out of going to the NCOA. Turned out, it went higher than even he could get.
Old 05-24-2006, 23:25   #22
bost1751
Quiet Professional

Steve, you missed a golden opportunity.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 00:27   #23
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
UGH........ I mean, I concur.

Last edited by 12B4S; 05-25-2006 at 00:35.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:38   #24
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
nope...i had previously attended the XVIII NCOA...the SGM didn't consider that a "real" NCOA...i guess he figured spit shining the Autobahn was more of a challenge than raking pine needles...
Old 05-26-2006, 21:59   #25
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Given the option and having done both. I'll take raking the pine needles anytime.
Old 02-08-2007, 20:14   #26
jon1481
Asset

I was there

I was there and because of that I made the model for the inspection of the rooms. Photos and descriptions, a manuel. They just wouldn't allow my cowboy boots! I guess the captain thought everybody had to have a pair.
jon1481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 22:56   #27
The Old Guy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
The corner I mentioned would have been to the left as you entered the quad.

Basically, the 7th Army was on the left and Group was on the right. The NCO club was in the far left corner and the EM club was in the far right. That wing straight ahead also had the American Express bank, mess halls, and PX, on various floors.
Brilliant recall of the Kaserne, heaven on earth if I may be so humble and state.

I attended in 1983 and hated every moment. I polished the floors (autobahn), toilet bolts, drains, water fountains and 155mm rounds, asking myself what in the world this has to do with warfighting. I was a lean mean Airborne Ranger/ SF jumpmaster and pathfinder, why was I here with these “legs”. This was my first contact/interaction with women in the Army and it was a traumatic event for me. The cadre and I did not see eye to eye, maybe I should say the Commandant, but thank goodness to a senior NCO acting on my behalf I graduated, but not as the Distinguished Honor Grad! I walked down the middle of the autobahnas I left there to show my contempt for them.

I ended up doing BNCOC in Hohenfels and Distinguished Honor Graduate there, it was too easy!

How the years have mellowed my attitude. I visited the Quad in August 1998 before I left Germany the last time, it was heart breaking.

Michael
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity - even under the most difficult circumstances - to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Victor E. Frankl

Last edited by The Old Guy; 02-09-2007 at 14:24.
The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:05   #28
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
I visited the Quad in August 1998 before I left Germany the last time, it was heart breaking.
It still is heart breaking... One should think that you get used to it, since you see it every day. But you just don´t.... I see pictures in my head from 87, 88, up to 91 when Group left for Panzer/Böblingen. It breaks my heart every single day for the past 16 years...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ehem.flint.jpg (26.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg flintcenter.jpg (70.1 KB, 97 views)
Old 02-13-2007, 01:47   #29
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Still breaks mine..........

Hohenfels. I was there. Thing is. I just have to remember why. Before I research my old paperwork and orders, I'm thinking it was a Flintlock exercise.

Mike. I see pictures in my head from '70/71........ What has happened there is an abomination!!!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:35   #30
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Brad, Hohenfels is and was one of the big training areas for USAEUR. Most likely you have been there for some sort of exercise.

Quote:
Mike. I see pictures in my head from '70/71........ What has happened there is an abomination!!!
It sure is... I have the old photos at the house, and I see the "new" situation every day.