Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

Old 05-20-2009, 21:24   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

1 in 7 Freed Detainees Rejoins Fight

From today's Pravda on the Hudson. My, my.

Richard's $.02

Quote:
1 in 7 Freed Detainees Rejoins Fight
Elisabeth Bumiller, NYT, 20 MAY 2009

An unreleased Pentagon report concludes that about one in seven of the 534 prisoners already transferred abroad from the detention center in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, has returned to terrorism or militant activity, according to administration officials.

The conclusion could strengthen the arguments of critics who have warned against the transfer or release of any more detainees as part of President Obama’s plan to shut down the prison by January. Past Pentagon reports on Guantánamo recidivism have been met with skepticism from civil liberties groups and criticized for their lack of detail.

The Pentagon promised in January that the latest report would be released soon, but Bryan Whitman, a Pentagon spokesman, said this week that the findings were still “under review.”

Two administration officials who spoke on condition of anonymity said the report was being held up by Defense Department employees fearful of upsetting the White House, at a time when even Congressional Democrats have begun to show misgivings over Mr. Obama’s plan to close Guantánamo.

(cont'd)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/us...er=rss&emc=rss
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 21:32   #2
mojaveman
Area Commander

A few Sundays ago 60 Minutes did a story on the Saudi government and how they were trying to rehabilitate a small number of released Guantanamo detainees. It was almost a comedy, one of the methods that the psychologists were using was art therapy. The ex detainees were actually coloring with crayons. I guess it was supposed to be a way for them to sublimate their rage against the Infidels.

Last edited by mojaveman; 05-20-2009 at 21:35.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 21:35   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The ex detainees were actually coloring with crayons.
Were they eating them like Ralph?

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 22:30   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

I think that the number is higher than 1 in 7. I heard a news report in Jan that it was like 40% go back and take up the fight again......

Who really cares 1 is too many.......
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 15:46   #5
rltipton

Scary

The bad part is what the media is leaving out...the fact that the only ones sent to Gitmo were the worst, most dangerous ones we simply could not risk running loose. The majority of the prisoners were sent to jail in country. The ones that got sent to Gitmo weren't the guys conducting ambushes and emplacing IEDs, they are the ones who trained others, distributed, planned and coordinated.

It was VERY hard to send a detainee to Gitmo. We caught a big fish in 04 named on 'the list' and it still took 3 months to get him sent away.

Once he got to Gitmo the shrinks deemed him not a threat and they sent him back to Khandahar where he was promptly released back into the general populace. About 3 weeks later we killed him in an ambush. We killed another former Gitmo detainee the deployment after that one as well. Judging by my personal experience, 100% of them go back to it.
Old 05-27-2009, 13:16   #6
ACE844
Guerrilla

I did a search and couldn't find a mention of this article and thought it dovetailed nicely with this topic. If the mods feel there is a better place for this please feel free to move it there.

Source
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limits of Terrorism by Daniel Pipes
Jerusalem Post April 22, 2009
Does terrorism work, meaning, does it achieve its perpetrators' objectives?

With terror attacks having become a routine and nearly daily occurrence, especially in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, the conventional wisdom holds that terrorism works very well. For example, the late Ehud Sprinzak of the Hebrew University ascribed the prevalence of suicide terrorism to its "gruesome effectiveness." Robert Pape of the University of Chicago argues that suicide terrorism is growing "because terrorists have learned that it pays." Harvard law professor Alan M. Dershowitz titled one of his books Why Terrorism Works.

But Max Abrahms, a fellow at Stanford University, disputes this conclusion, noting that they focus narrowly on the well-known but rare terrorist victories – while ignoring the much broader, if more obscure, pattern of terrorism's failures. To remedy this deficiency, Abrahms took a close look at each of the 28 terrorist groups so designated by the U.S. Department of State since 2001 and tallied how many of them achieved its objectives.
Also this article and some related links can be found here
ACE844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 13:38   #7
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Who really cares 1 is too many......./quote/SF_BHT

Absolutely, your right on target.......

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 16:39   #8
Maytime
Guerrilla

Would it be possible to use their desire to keep fighting against them, such as tracking them upon release back to their cells via electronic means?

I know nothing about tracking, but somehow following the ones most likely to return to the fight seems like a common sense thing, probably much easier said than done.
Old 05-27-2009, 16:57   #9
Geenie
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytime View Post
Would it be possible to use their desire to keep fighting against them, such as tracking them upon release back to their cells via electronic means?

I know nothing about tracking, but somehow following the ones most likely to return to the fight seems like a common sense thing, probably much easier said than done.
Good idea. That would probably save a lot of lives... but you know we can't track them. Wouldn't want to violate their human rights
Geenie is offline   Reply With Quote