Old 11-07-2017, 21:23   #1
TacOfficer
Guerrilla

Heckler and Koch VP9 and VP9sk

I'm embarrassed to say, but I must confess my search talents have failed me.
I've been searching the threads and haven't found a discussion on the VP9 or sk.
If there is one, could someone help a brother and point me in the right direction?

Otherwise, does anyone have experience or a vague opinion? I currently carry G19 and G17, but the HKs may be a possibility in my future. Due to policy, Im restricted to 9mm (yes I know, .45 set to stun, I get it ).

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:19   #2
7624U
Quiet Professional

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ghlight=pistol

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:59   #3
TacOfficer
Guerrilla

Thank you 7624U for the link,

Other than 2018commo stating that he bought one for his wife and other listed it as a possible choice for the lady shooter , i didn't see much discussion of the pistol it self.

I'll keep digging around the internet, you know how it is. So many airsofters and fanboys that base their opinion on the advertising. Some of the articles seem sincere but others appear to be cut and paste from HK's ad department.

TO
Old 11-09-2017, 09:36   #4
2018commo
Quiet Professional

I have not shot her pistol much, but I like the sights and the magazine release vs the Glock, I find the two very similar performance wise.
Larry Vickers is a big fan of the VP9, Google is your friend.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:35   #5
TacOfficer
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018commo View Post
I have not shot her pistol much, but I like the sights and the magazine release vs the Glock, I find the two very similar performance wise.
Larry Vickers is a big fan of the VP9, Google is your friend.
Thank you 2018commo

I don't have a reason to ditch my G19, but I have always been interested in the HK. As a young lad the USP had a certain appeal to me. Now the VP9 is under consideration by my dept for approval and my eye is starting to wander back towards the HK.

As we all know, TS is a big fan of the HK45, but we're restricted to 9mm striker fire. I need to get out and fire one.

TO
Old 11-10-2017, 09:04   #6
Toaster
Guerrilla

I love my HK P30.

G19s are good pistols and king of the mountain in the pistol world. They're absolutely reliable until people start switching out parts to get an acceptable trigger. Seen one during a TRC class that couldn't get back up and running despite cleaning.

HK magazines are expensive, and a Gray guns trigger job will run $300+, but the triggers are good out of the box. HKs are the best gun if you can afford them.

That's my .02

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:45   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
I love my HK P30.

G19s are good pistols and king of the mountain in the pistol world. They're absolutely reliable until people start switching out parts to get an acceptable trigger. Seen one during a TRC class that couldn't get back up and running despite cleaning.

HK magazines are expensive, and a Gray guns trigger job will run $300+, but the triggers are good out of the box. HKs are the best gun if you can afford them.

That's my .02
Wow, you should run for dem prez next election..............
Old 11-10-2017, 10:00   #8
TacOfficer
Guerrilla

Quote:
I love my HK P30.

That's my .02
I won't say money is no object, but I'm willing to spend on something that could save my life and others. This is not for competition or collecting.

I see it's the same size as a G17 but has the capacity of a G19. If I'm more accurate with it and its more reliable, you can keep the two extra rounds. There is not much room for error when confronting threats in an urban enviroment.

If I could, I'd Have the VP9 for duty and VP9sk off duty. As of now, I don't know enough to make an informed judgement.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:35   #9
7624U
Quiet Professional

I love my S&W model 60 .357

G19s and HK's are good pistols for auto loaders.

Untill it jams on you just when you need it most... Seen one during a SFAUC class that couldn't get back up and running despite cleaning.

Magazines Fail when you leave them loaded and they are expensive and hurt your thumb loading when on the range all day.

Triggers are fine out of the box they can even be pulled by old ladies and get better with time. Wheel guns are the best gun and everyone can afford one after we lower taxes.. they even come in 9mm.

That's my .02
I am voting as a rep next election... sorry toaster

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:48   #10
Toaster
Guerrilla

HKs are better pistols than Glocks, I carry a HK My comparison list is below,

I've been rethinking some of my needs for a pistol for a while, and having shot a...swoopy dude's G19... well a good trigger, compensater and red dot sight... it makes since seeing someone shoot 2-4" groups at 40yds quickly...

There's a 61 page white paper by Sage Dynamics, "Miniaturized Red Dot Systems for Duty Handgun Use" that makes a strong case for optics. If you ever have to use NVGs and your pistol simultaneously, red dot is the way to go. I can send you the document if you want. MRDS are quicker when shooting about 25yds and out, from my experience.

Glocks have some enormous advantages, and why I consider them king.
Economy: An optic ready slide for Mil/LE is $489
Massive number of armorers
Stupidly reliable pistols (90k-100k round count guns)
https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns...ions/4-160140/
Magazines are inexpensive

HK advantages:
Stupidly reliable
Wonderfully adjustable grips
Great triggers
Beautifully engineered works of art

Glock Problems
Shitty stock triggers
Aftermarket things tend to be less reliable
Standard plastic sights

HK disadvantages
Getting work done is expensive
Hard to find people qualified to work on them
Everything is more expensive

When it comes down to a pistol, your comfort and training are more important than your particular choice in a quality reliable sidearm. If you knew you were going to a fight, you'd have a rifle handy. I agree with your assessment that the additional 2 rounds are secondary to your skill. If the trigger on the HK makes a reasonable difference in your ability, that's where I'd go. Otherwise IMO, the money spent on the HK could go to training/ammo.

Reliability source for both pistols
https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns...ions/4-160140/

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 15:30   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
HKs are better pistols than Glocks, I carry a HK My comparison list is below,

I've been rethinking some of my needs for a pistol for a while, and having shot a...swoopy dude's G19... well a good trigger, compensater and red dot sight... it makes since seeing someone shoot 2-4" groups at 40yds quickly...

There's a 61 page white paper by Sage Dynamics, "Miniaturized Red Dot Systems for Duty Handgun Use" that makes a strong case for optics. If you ever have to use NVGs and your pistol simultaneously, red dot is the way to go. I can send you the document if you want. MRDS are quicker when shooting about 25yds and out, from my experience.

Glocks have some enormous advantages, and why I consider them king.
Economy: An optic ready slide for Mil/LE is $489
Massive number of armorers
Stupidly reliable pistols (90k-100k round count guns)
ar15.comm/forums/handguns/High-round-count-pistols-100-000-observations/4-160140/[/url]
Magazines are inexpensive

HK advantages:
Stupidly reliable
Wonderfully adjustable grips
Great triggers
Beautifully engineered works of art

Glock Problems
Shitty stock triggers
Aftermarket things tend to be less reliable
Standard plastic sights

HK disadvantages
Getting work done is expensive
Hard to find people qualified to work on them
Everything is more expensive

When it comes down to a pistol, your comfort and training are more important than your particular choice in a quality reliable sidearm. If you knew you were going to a fight, you'd have a rifle handy. I agree with your assessment that the additional 2 rounds are secondary to your skill. If the trigger on the HK makes a reasonable difference in your ability, that's where I'd go. Otherwise IMO, the money spent on the HK could go to training/ammo.

Reliability source for both pistols
[ar15.comm/forums/handguns/High-round-count-pistols-100-000-observations/4-160140/

Glocks have some enormous advantages, and why I consider them king. (People at Ford love their Taurus also and there's hundreds of thousands of them, so they must be king))

Economy: An optic ready slide for Mil/LE is $489 (Just like Ford Taurus, cheap)

Massive number of armorers (Because they have really stupid mechanical/engineering issues)

Stupidly reliable pistols (90k-100k round count guns) (I’m glad you’re happy with this “count”)
https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns...ions/4-160140/ (We don’t rely on anything written on AR15.comm)
Magazines are inexpensive (Just like Ford Taurus wheels)`

HK advantages:
Stupidly reliable (So is a Ferrari 458)
Wonderfully adjustable grips (Just like a Ferrari 458)
Great triggers
Beautifully engineered works of art (So is a Ferrari 458)

Glock Problems
Shitty stock triggers (Same issues as a Ford Taurus)
Aftermarket things tend to be less reliable (Ditto for the Ford Taurus)
Standard plastic sights (Ford Taurus, lots of plastic)

HK disadvantages
Getting work done is expensive (So is a Ferrari 458)
Hard to find people qualified to work on them (Same with the Ferrari 458)
Everything is more expensive (Ferrari 458, yeah amazing the same)

Toaster, did you come up with this all by yourself? Or did you have help from those at AR15.comm?
Next time, post on AR15.comm, I’m sure someone will agree with you there.
Old 11-15-2017, 16:10   #12
TacOfficer
Guerrilla

Great, now I want a HK and Ferrari 458!
I see a very Deutsch Christmas in my future.