Old 02-04-2013, 11:32   #1
KRG1987
Asset

Women in Combat?

With our President and Mr. Panetta's decision to allow women to hold a Combat MOS. Do you believe we will be seeing women in SFAS in the near future? I am curious as to your opinions on the matter.

- George Orwell
KRG1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Good question.

There's a reason we don't have professional woman's football, basketball, hockey teams and why women don't compete against men in the Olympics. It has nothing to do with intellect but everything to do with strength.

But to answer your question, yes, I'm sure the US military will lower the standards to accommodate women in all combat roles.
TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:57   #3
KRG1987
Asset

Now with SFAS that is a selection process by current SF members if im not mistaken? I can forsee these women making a big stink about not getting selected and blame it on being a woman not because they just cant do the job required. I would not want to be in the shit and the woman have the realization this is not for her. I understand the need for political correctness and equality but maybe instead of a complete change of rules a test group or 2 in a limited role?? It just seems rushed.

- George Orwell
Old 02-04-2013, 12:37   #4
KRG1987
Asset

Well thats good to hear. Thanks for the info

- George Orwell
Old 02-04-2013, 12:40   #5
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRG1987 View Post
I understand the need for political correctness...
I don't. Please explain.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:52   #6
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Here's a question from me...just out of curiousity...are you now or have you been in the military?
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:02   #7
KRG1987
Asset

Feb 11 I sign 11x opt 4 contract. I do not have any previous service and I look forward to serving my country Sir

- George Orwell
Old 02-04-2013, 13:10   #8
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Not trying to be a dick...well not a total one anyhows...but I wouldn't want to be "in the shit," when you come to that same realization. I'll give you the same advice I gave my son when he enlisted...take it one day at a time and see if you even have the capacity to serve in the military.
-TOMAHAWK9521
Old 02-04-2013, 13:28   #9
KRG1987
Asset

I thank you very much for your advice Sir. It was very similar advice given to me by my father. Focus on the 25m target get your bearings and make sure it is what you want to do. In re reading my comment I did not have the intention to come across that I know anything of "being in the shit" just a bad use of wordage it was just an opinion on my behalf.

- George Orwell
Old 02-05-2013, 07:20   #10
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

No harm no foul...good luck to you next week.
-TOMAHAWK9521
Old 02-05-2013, 08:09   #11
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by afchic View Post
none of them would even begin to even ponder entering an MOS where they can't meet the current standard.
Do you think the standards will be changed in order to facilitate entry for those women (and there must be some) who would ponder entering an MOS whose standards they can't meet, as they stand, at present?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26   #12
koz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
No woman I know in the military would be making that stink. Just how many military women do you know? All the ones I know concentrate on being the best they can be at their given profession, and none of them would even begin to even ponder entering an MOS where they can't meet the current standard. I am tired of men like you, lumping all women into the same category. A vast majority of us know our limitations, and accept them.

Now politicians, that is a different story, but they are the reason for all this crap in the first place, so it will be no surprise when any of them begin to open their mouths on the subject.
Kate Wilder..... No stink at all.....
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26   #13
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
But there are going to be those that can meet the standard for infantry/mech/artillery units. So instead of bitching, moaning, whining and complaining about it, it is high time we all start to figure out a plan to best integrate those women into those MOS's , because gentlemen, the time is here, and nothing you say about it, is going to change it. As leaders, the best thing we can do for our troops is not complain behind the brass' back, but move out, and effect the change in the best way possible.

Concur. As I've stated before, Ma'am, as long as the current standards aren't modified, there should be no reason to exclude a female from entering a combat MOS.

I don't agree with the chauvinistic misogynists who compare it to a man trying out for the Bearded Lady gig at Barnum and Bailey.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:27   #14
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
. As leaders, the best thing we can do for our troops is not complain behind the brass' back, but move out, and effect the change in the best way possible.
Or get out/retire. but, I agree, staying in and bitching about isn't the right course of action.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40   #15
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Are you really willing to get out/retire over this? Don't you think that in order for this change to be made, there needs to be men like yourself that are willing to stay in and make the change happen in the best manner possible? Instead of leaving it to some FNG who doesn't know his/her ass from a hole in the ground.

Combat veterans are the best mentors for any new person into a unit. Women are going to need those mentors just as much as the men. If everyone leaves in mass protest, how is that good for the DoD? A decision has been made, it is up to us to make it happen.
Actaullay, I retired 5 years ago. I used to tell myself the kind of stuff you just said. But, I have become cynical and I don't think "change from within" ever happens. The forces of evil are too strong. You have to live by your principals.