Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Professional Soldiers ® "Hall of Shame" > "Hall of Shame Inductees"

Old 11-05-2010, 05:51   #46
Viking
Quiet Professional

Looks like CSM Boyles needs some range time and to pick better friends.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:58   #47
Richard
Quiet Professional

From what I saw and heard when training Guard units, politics is as integral to the functioning of a Guard HQs as is toliet paper to a useable latrine stall in the barracks - and this case certainly confirms that observation.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 14:50   #48
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Richard,

Isn't that the picture they took of you at your retirement party?...........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 14:18   #49
RB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
JFHQ-NC-IG Staff:
State Inspector General - COL John Sutton
Deputy IG - MAJ Mark McMahan
Detailed IG (M-Day) - MAJ Chris Castro
Assistant IG - MSG Thomas Childers
Assistant IG - MSG David Lewis

How to contact us: * Phone: 919-664-6266

What is an Inspector General?
The Inspector General is a special staff officer of the commander, providing the commander with a sounding board for sensitive issues. The IG is an extension of the commander’s eyes, ears, and conscience. The role of the Inspector General is to determine and report on the economy, efficiency, discipline, morale, esprit de corps, readiness, and resources of the command. In other words, the Inspector General is interested in every aspect of the command.
Col Sutton, I'd say you're dead in the middle of this one.

Quote:
JFHQ-NC-IG Functions:
The four basic functions of the Inspector General are used to accomplish our mission. Those functions are as follows:

* Assistance – Anyone may submit a complaint or request for assistance to an Army/ Air Force IG concerning matters of interest to the Army/Air Force.
* Inspection – IG’s conduct inspections at the direction of the commander. An IG inspection may focus on organizations, functions or both and may or may not be compliance oriented.
* Investigation – IG’s only conduct investigations when directed by the commander. The investigation will focus on violations of policy or regulations. The commander may also direct an investigation into alleged mismanagement, unethical behavior, or misconduct.
This one, too....pay close attention to the 'unethical behavior' part....

Quote:
* Teaching and Training – Teaching and training is integral part of the first three functions. IG’s by their very nature possess a wealth of knowledge and experience. They use this knowledge and experience when assisting, inspecting, and investigating to teach Soldiers/Airmen at all levels about policies and procedures.

Things to remember about the IG:

* Anyone can file a complaint and/or request for assistance either orally or in writing to the IG.
* Airmen/Soldiers cannot be denied access to an IG. They do not have to go through their chain of command. They do not need permission to call or see an IG. They do need to exercise common sense and they cannot leave their place of duty without permission.
* No retribution will be taken against a Soldier who submits a complaint to an IG, however, anyone who knowingly submits an untruthful statement to an IG can be charged under the UCMJ.

Consider this thread my complaint....along with a written statement sent earlier today.

Get'sum TS!

~D-6606~
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 15:10   #50
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
From what I saw and heard when training Guard units, politics is as integral to the functioning of a Guard HQs as is toliet paper to a useable latrine stall in the barracks - and this case certainly confirms that observation.

Richard
Remind me again why we went with SF NG Groups and dropped the SF Army Reserve Groups!.............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 11-09-2010 at 16:09.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 18:21   #51
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
Remind me again why we went with SF NG Groups and dropped the SF Army Reserve Groups!.............

Big Teddy
Combat Arms were supposed to be consolidated in the Guard, Combat Support and Combat Service Support in the Reserves.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 18:26   #52
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Big Teddy
Combat Arms were supposed to be consolidated in the Guard, Combat Support and Combat Service Support in the Reserves.

A complaint has already been filed with the NCNG IG. Given the length of time, it would appear that either they did not pursue it, or the chain of command was informed and elected to do nothing (beyond pulling him out of his BDE CSM slot).

Next step would be a DAIG complaint.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 20:29   #53
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Big Teddy
Because of the Guards Status (Governors, Senators, Congressmen) and political pull the comment was made at the time...
"SF is going to lose two Groups...they can be in the Reserve or Active duty but two will go......"
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 20:46   #54
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Remind me again why we went with SF NG Groups and dropped the SF Army Reserve Groups!
Post GW1 and the reorganization of the neo-kumbayah Army, non-AD Combat Arms were to be consolidated in the Guard and Combat Support and Combat Service Support in the Reserves.

Under the plans, the majority of combat arms perceived to be necessary for the post-Cold War world scenario(s) were to be active duty with the majority of the support elements comng from the reserves as needed (since the Reserves are under direct federal control while the Guard remains predominantly under state control unless mobilized). Reserve CS/CSS were (presumably) easier to mobilize and integrate with AD forces due to their direct civilian/military skill interface while the Combat Arms forces were viewed as needing an extended 'train up' period before useful integration with IN/AR/FA/ADA/SF units.

Under this scenario and because the SF units were deemed Combat Arms, they came out of the Reserves and were consolidated under the Guard.

I was in the OACS-CMO, 21st TAACOM, at the time working for LTG Pagonis and involved with the CA slice of this 'doctrinal three ring circus' for USAREUR/USEUCOM/NATO - made me realize it was time to retire.

And so it goes...

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 22:26   #55
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
Rgr. There is both logic and illogic in this arrangement. Yes, the NG adds complexity and more asspain over the USAR, but at the same time there is truth in the statement that the nation is not at war until the NG is at war. Like it or not, as things stand now, it is not possible to undertake a large-scale, sustained combat operation without the NG. Period. This acts as a de facto check on the power of the Executive Branch. Is this a bad thing? Was this not one of the many lessons to come out of the Vietnam era?

Sure, did politics play a part in the specific decision on the SF Groups int he USAR and NG? Sure, no doubt. However, was the end result a bad thing, given our system of civilian control of the military? I don't think so.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:29   #56
Pete
Quiet Professional

Busted at last - but not by much

Senior NCO Busted for Unauthorized Medals

http://www.military.com/news/article...tml?ESRC=eb.nl

"A senior noncommissioned officer with the North Carolina National Guard will be leaving the service a stripe lighter as a result of a Guard and Army investigation into his wearing unauthorized unit patches, tabs, decorations and badges..........."

Slap on the wrist.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:12   #57
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

former Command Sgt. Maj. John Letuli LOLOLOL

"former Command Sgt. Maj." John Letuli, now that's funny.

Ouch, bet that is going to leave a mark.... Many Thanks to Bryant Jordan! (and Christian Lowe)

Senior NCO Busted for Unauthorized Medals
November 29, 2010
Military.com|by Bryant Jordan

A senior noncommissioned officer with the North Carolina National Guard will be leaving the service a stripe lighter as a result of a Guard and Army investigation into his wearing unauthorized unit patches, tabs, decorations and badges.

Officials would not offer details on the actions of former Command Sgt. Maj. John Letuli, but a retired Green Beret who had been pressuring for the investigation since September 2009 said he is outraged that the Guard and the Army appear to be letting Letuli retire with just "a slap on the wrist."

Retired Master Sgt. Jeffrey "JD" Hinton said he has written Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, hoping for a congressional inquiry into how the Army and North Carolina Guard handled their investigation of Letuli, including why he is not being more seriously disciplined.

The investigation was launched after Hinton published photos of Letuli on his website, Professsionalsoldiers.com. In one photo, Letuli is wearing a Special Forces patch and tab on his BDUs; in another, he is in Class As, wearing the Purple Heart and Soldier's Medal ribbons, and a Military Freefall Badge, or "HALO wings" -- none of which he earned.

As a result of the investigation, Letuli is in the process of retiring, but as a master sergeant, not a command sergeant major.

"Punishment has been dispensed," Maj. Matthew Handley said in a Nov. 22 e-mail. "The [punishment's] nature and severity I am not in a position to divulge."

Letuli is currently assigned to the 139th Regiment of the North Carolina National Guard. He declined a request for an interview.

Because he was on active duty at the time the allegations surfaced, First Army Division East based at Fort Meade, Md., took the lead in the investigation, Handley said. Calls and e-mails to First Army's public affairs and Judge Advocate's office were not returned.

Hinton, founder of ProfessionalSoldiers.com -- an online forum geared toward the Army spec ops community -- said he began looking into Letuli's patches, awards and decorations after a Soldier deployed to Iraq sent him a photo of Letuli with other command sergeants major. Hinton said the Soldier became suspicious of Letuli after asking him some questions about Special Forces that the senior NCO would not answer. Hinton, who is a retired Green Beret, said he contacted people in the active-duty Special Forces community for information.

"I sent the picture to Special Forces Command and they came back immediately and said, 'he's not SF,' " Hinton said. At that point, he began using the Freedom of Information Act to secure copies of official records, including a listing of Letuli's assignments, decorations, medals and badges.

The record does not list a Purple Heart or Soldier's Medal. It notes Letuli has a basic parachutist badge, but not the Military Freefall Badge.

Hinton said he's angry that Letuli appears to be retiring with full benefits, with only the loss of one stripe as punishment. "He needs to be court-martialed and thrown out," Hinton said. "How does an E-8 or E-9 get away with this, with only a slap on the wrist? I don't get it."

© Copyright 2010 Military.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.military.com/news/article...ed-medals.html
Old 11-29-2010, 13:34   #58
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

TS,
The good news is that PS.com is being recognized (as are you) of finding the frauds and exposing them. They are on notice that anyone is open to verification of awards earned and displayed. The public may not know any better, but PS.com has become an auditing and investigative tool for the army special forces community.
You should be proud of that fact.....the punishment may never fit the crime, but that is out of the realm of this site. You expose them as frauds and frequently find ones like Bill Hillar who takes advantage of both public and private entities and gains recognition, profit, etc and those are the ones who need to fall hard and fast.....AND BE ORDERED TO MAKE RESTITUTION TO THE GREEN BERET FOUNDATION

Great job IMHO.

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 23:27   #59
Snaquebite
Area Commander

I'm bumping this back to the top....This needs to be seen and hopefully will make its way throughout the media and Army hierachy.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:42   #60
Dozer523
BANNED USER

"outraged" That's a good word.
Nice job TS!
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote