Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 07-22-2016, 05:53   #1
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

NRL Rugby

For those of you with DirecTV, the National Rugby League season is well underway on channel 621 & 621-1 (HD). This is the main rugby league in Australia (one NZ team is in NRL) and features a high level of competition. While not test matches (national team international matches), I find NRL great fun to watch.

A New Zealand army officer introduced me to rugby and the NZ All Blacks in the 1990s when I was in Laos. Their haka will stir the warrior spirit. Check their 2015 World Cup version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PptTeyYShdw

More recently a British SAS NCO took the time to explain the nuances of rugby to me while we were in the Middle East. Think of explaining the NFL to a foreign soccer fan and you get the level of his challenge.

If you are not into rugby, just ignore this post. If you dig the sport, and have a day job, set your DVR to record since the matches are usually on in the wee hours here in the U.S.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:37   #2
bandycpa
Guerrilla Chief

A friend of mine from Australia introduced me to the sport years ago (he actually coaches in the "minor league" level). Love this sport! Rugby League is way better than Rugby Union in my opinion.

State of Origin is how all-star games should be done. Best out of three, and your team is determined by which region of the country you were born, not fan vote.

Thanks for the reminder, sir. I'll have to set my DVR.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:57   #3
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandycpa View Post
A friend of mine from Australia introduced me to the sport years ago (he actually coaches in the "minor league" level). Love this sport! Rugby League is way better than Rugby Union in my opinion.

State of Origin is how all-star games should be done. Best out of three, and your team is determined by which region of the country you were born, not fan vote.

Thanks for the reminder, sir. I'll have to set my DVR.
While a faster game, and easier for people to figure out the rules, I find League a dumbed down version of Rugby. I much prefer Union as I enjoy the tactics that are not present in League play.

However with that said, the Aussies really love their NRL!