Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 12-12-2007, 20:42   #1
Razor
Quiet Professional

Interesting Picture

Flipping through the recent issue of ARMY magazine, I come across this picture of a fire team in the FCS BCT. Notice the camo pattern they're wearing. I wonder if this is simply from left over stock at CIF from an old experiment, or if it shows things to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FCS eval BCT in multicam crop sm.jpg (169.6 KB, 2399 views)
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 21:01   #2
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Thats Multi CAM. But the Army decided to go with those Blue Uniforms instead. I believe that picture is from the actual testing years ago.
Old 12-12-2007, 21:15   #3
ZoneOne
Auxiliary

I found it amusing that one soldier is using an Xbox controller to operate a SUGV.
ZoneOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 21:48   #4
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

How the "F" did Multi Cam lose? Can someone explain?
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 22:47   #5
jwt5
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
My theory is money and the rush to get a new uniform out.
Old 12-12-2007, 23:05   #6
S3Project
Asset

kgoerz,

If I recall correctly, the photo comes from a Future Force Warrior exercise circa early 2007. But I may be incorrect.

Regards,

Derek
S3Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:33   #7
Guy
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:12   #8
18Ddave
Quiet Professional

Yeah, I kinda like the ACUs...it's 'retro'... Retro back to frickin the Confederacy’s gray uniforms.

I want to know what the hell an ACU pattern is supposed to blend into? Hesco barriers? Was they guy who picked it color blind?

Too bad we didn't get multi cam, pretty squared away pattern and co. I understand AF PJ s are wearing them in the field.
dave
Old 12-13-2007, 08:25   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Nobody I know likes the ACU camo pattern, or thinks that it is very effective.

It is less effective than the BDU or DBDU, and much less effective than the Crye.

Few people I have spoken with like the material, or the design of the uniform either.

As mentioned before, it appears to be a uniform designed by and for an office pogue. Probably blends in well with the grey steel desks and filing cabinets, or the UNICOR cubicle colors.

The Crye uniforms might have had a better chance had they not cost ten times more than the BDU, and five times as much as the ACU. No one but the AF can afford them.

Personally, I thought that having everyone from all services in the same camo pattern and uniform made target ID much easier, and reduced the chances for fratricide, but what do I know?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:25   #10
jatx
Area Commander

There was a more recent photo on the front page of The Bayonet at Ft. Benning a few weeks ago. Some sort of technology demo, I don't recall the specifics, but I do find it interesting that Multicam keeps popping up whenever the Army wants to look extra spiffy.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:57   #11
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx View Post
There was a more recent photo on the front page of The Bayonet at Ft. Benning a few weeks ago. Some sort of technology demo, I don't recall the specifics, but I do find it interesting that Multicam keeps popping up whenever the Army wants to look extra spiffy.

Hopefully it is only a matter of time until Multi Cam is the new Army camo although I am not going hold my breath. Oh yeah, and you can have the black beret back too.
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:08   #12
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
Thats Multi CAM. But the Army decided to go with those Blue Uniforms instead. I believe that picture is from the actual testing years ago.
Its actually a recent pic of Future Combat System Spin 1, which is what caught my eye, given they're still wearing MC and haven't switched over to ACUs.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:08   #13
GreenSalsa
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Personally, I thought that having everyone from all services in the same camo pattern and uniform made target ID much easier, and reduced the chances for fratricide, but what do I know?
BINGO! Can someone please explain to me why Marine Infantry and Army Infantry have to have separate field uniforms?

Can you imagine what it would be like to resupply a joint unit in the field today...

"I need six sets of Marine Corps Desert, 4 sets of Army ACU and a side order of whatever the AF is wearing these days...."

I liked it MUCH better when we all wore the same thing.
Old 12-13-2007, 13:19   #14
CSB
Quiet Professional

Who test camouflauge, and how?

Does anyone on the board know who actually tests camo uniforms (Natick?, QM School? Contractors?) and how?

Just off the top of my head, I would think that soldiers would decked out in various camo patterns and appear / pop up / move in a variety of terrain (urban and otherwise) and observers would be timed on how quickly the individuals can be located / counted. The best camo would delay identification and tracking the longest.

Same everything, but with mannikins on rifle ranges to see which camo uniform causes the most trouble for shooters to get a good sight picture. As a minimum, what if five popup targets were decked out in:

1 - Jungles or OG 107 fatigues
2 - In ACU
3 - In Multi Cam
4 - In Desert BDU Chocolate Chips
5 - In green BDU's.

and experienced markmen took turns shooting at each of them at all ranges from 50 - 300 meters, iron sights and assisted sights. Maybe on a qualification range. Then plot a chart of which ones got hit the most, and which ones got hit the least. Least is better.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 13:30   #15
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
Same everything, but with mannikins on rifle ranges to see which camo uniform causes the most trouble for shooters to get a good sight picture. As a minimum, what if five popup targets were decked out in:

1 - Jungles or OG 107 fatigues
2 - In ACU
3 - In Multi Cam
4 - In Desert BDU Chocolate Chips
5 - In green BDU's.

and experienced markmen took turns shooting at each of them at all ranges from 50 - 300 meters, iron sights and assisted sights. Maybe on a qualification range. Then plot a chart of which ones got hit the most, and which ones got hit the least. Least is better.
Hmm, destructive testing, I like the way you think!
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote