Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 07-21-2011, 23:29   #16
ObliqueApproach
Quiet Professional

Metrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
You would've had to have been there...but you would've been like we were - they could've killed us, they could've dropped us, we could've gotten sick or injured...but we weren't gonna quit.

Richard
There are many metrics to determine who you select and who you don't, but I think the first and most important one is just what Richard voiced, which is why he is a QP, you won't quit. No matter how bad it gets, you know deep down in your soul, that there is no give and no quit among your brothers. If you start with that as the base requirement, then you can assess the other quailities necessary to be an SF soldier. I am not sure many people really understand this, but it is no less true, at least IMO.

We didn't coin the term "March or Die", but I sure heard it often enough.

Just my .02.........
Old 07-22-2011, 01:57   #17
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObliqueApproach View Post
There are many metrics to determine who you select and who you don't, but I think the first and most important one is just what Richard voiced, which is why he is a QP, you won't quit. No matter how bad it gets, you know deep down in your soul, that there is no give and no quit among your brothers. If you start with that as the base requirement, then you can assess the other quailities necessary to be an SF soldier. I am not sure many people really understand this, but it is no less true, at least IMO.

We didn't coin the term "March or Die", but I sure heard it often enough.

Just my .02.........
I'm sure my Quiet Professional Brothers have the same dictionary I have. The only "Q" words in it are "Quiet Professional", "Qualified" and "Q Course". There is no "quit" in our dictionaries.

Along with March or Die, we also have the Spartan version. "Come back with your shield or on it, or don't come back at all".

Even though you may pass Selection, you still have to make it through the SFQC and get to a ODA. Lot of people didn't make it to the end goal for whatever reason. You have to earn your right to stay and serve on a ODA. There are NO silver spoons.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:13   #18
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAH687 View Post
Do you think standards have been lowered in the military? How about in the special operations community or SF specifically?
The reactions you get (in this thread and the previous one on 'religion/ faith' are probably because your questions are somewhat controversial (hence, they raise 'trolling' issues amongst regular members), and because they tend to involve topics that are pretty well-covered in this site. This indicates a lack of familiarity with the massive contents of this site.

That familiarity can only be attained by thoroughly reading and digesting. Newcomers are often told "read more, post less" by QPs and regulars. This isn't because we are rude and short-tempered, but because many of these topics have been well-covered, and more than a few have been beaten to death.

By the way, the method for deleting a post you have composed that you think should NOT be posted is by NOT clicking on the "Submit Reply" icon.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:24   #19
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Nobody told me there was hot cocoa!
My class instructors offered "hot" coffee, donuts, a lifesaver and a ride home if you quit.

@JAH687, You now have the attention of a dozen or more Special Forces soldiers. It's not the sort of attention one desires. Read more post less.
Team Sergeant
Old 07-22-2011, 10:37   #20
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
My class instructors offered "hot" coffee, donuts, a lifesaver and a ride home if you quit.
Yep - ours offered warm food, a dry place to sleep, a hot shower, and clean clothes and dry boots. It was amazing how many took them up on it.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:53   #21
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Guess Mark and I should've waited so we could've avoided being in the last hard class...

And so it goes...

Richard
I'm glad I was a couple months ahead of you two... "The Class Before The Last Hard Class"!

In my class, they must have offered iced tea or lemonade and a long cold shower - or something to get rid of that damned prickly heat.

Quitting never crossed my mind.
Old 07-22-2011, 16:28   #22
mark46th
Quiet Professional

A Life Saver!?!? What flavor? I might have considered it for a Butter Rum Lifesaver...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 19:06   #23
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
A Life Saver!?!? What flavor? I might have considered it for a Butter Rum Lifesaver...
Mmmmm, that would have been good. When he got my weapon, SFC Nail offered me the choice between pulling the rest of his CQ or turning me in to the First Sergeant in the morning. Guess what I chose? I had 2 days left, and thought it was all over!

I often thought I'd be shit-canned, but never thought of quitting!
Old 07-22-2011, 19:29   #24
Joshua.David
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emachine190 View Post
I think your not aware of the current debate in Socom. Which is are the standards getting lower or are the recruits coming better prepared. I lean to towards the recruits being in better shape.
I'd say it's both honestly. People are doing a lot more research before coming into any program in the military. At the same time the physical fitness of 18-21 year olds joining the military is really high. I thought I was in great shape being from 2/75 but all of the 18x's I met were in MUCH better shape than me. They also knew what to expect and basically everything that was going on.

Standards were lowered for the military in general.
Joshua.David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:18   #25
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Mmmmm, that would have been good. When he got my weapon, SFC Nail offered me the choice between pulling the rest of his CQ or turning me in to the First Sergeant in the morning. Guess what I chose? I had 2 days left, and thought it was all over!

I often thought I'd be shit-canned, but never thought of quitting!
When I lost control of my weapon during Robin Sage (Phase III in my day)...I got the opportunity to dig my own grave after the patrol. Six foot deep, length and width appropiate all with one E-tool throughout the night. I spent the rest of my time in RS covered in dirt...and sleep deprived.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 16:56   #26
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
When I lost control of my weapon during Robin Sage (Phase III in my day)...I got the opportunity to dig my own grave after the patrol. Six foot deep, length and width appropiate all with one E-tool throughout the night. I spent the rest of my time in RS covered in dirt...and sleep deprived.
LOLOLOL now I've heard everything.......that's some funny shit......