Old 07-20-2011, 07:49   #2
Penn
Area Commander

I know of two SME in the culinary arts who are available @ 150K+
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:28   #3
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Any QP who went through Phase I back in the day can slaughter a goat.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:47   #4
Penn
Area Commander

Yea, but goat tartar gets boring after awhile.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:26   #5
Pete
Quiet Professional

Point of order

Point of order

Ah, village cooking in Afghanistan. Do the guys do the cooking or do the females and then somebody brings it out?

In other words - who does the cooking when females are around?

Sooooooooo................
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:55   #6
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Point of order

Ah, village cooking in Afghanistan. Do the guys do the cooking or do the females and then somebody brings it out?

In other words - who does the cooking when females are around?

Sooooooooo................
You mean, like CSTs?
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 14:17   #7
PRB
Quiet Professional

A cook or a tea/chai boy are way low on the social totempole....right about there with servants/handmaids.
Serve the right chow...hell, they love shishkebob (sp) the same way we do and it's prepared the same way.
But if some team guy is doing the "I'm preparing benihana style before your very eyes' ...Abdullah will be thinking...'what a nice bitch boy'....
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 14:50   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Yea, but goat tartar gets boring after awhile.
The mud houses they have lived in for "centuries" is not a testament to the Afgan desire for boring?

A three day culinay course for Special Ops personnel should be just about right for an Afgan palette...........
Old 07-20-2011, 17:43   #9
JAH687
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
A cook or a tea/chai boy are way low on the social totempole....right about there with servants/handmaids.
Serve the right chow...hell, they love shishkebob (sp) the same way we do and it's prepared the same way.
But if some team guy is doing the "I'm preparing benihana style before your very eyes' ...Abdullah will be thinking...'what a nice bitch boy'....
I'm not in SF, and I've never even been to the middle east, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night so I think I'm qualified to say that I whole heartedly agree. If they want to know what America is all about, I say we open up a small food court with all the typical food court fare (Burger King, Panda Express, Sbarros, etc..) in every village
JAH687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 18:19   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAH687 View Post
I'm not in SF, and I've never even been to the middle east, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night so I think I'm qualified to say that I whole heartedly agree. If they want to know what America is all about, I say we open up a small food court with all the typical food court fare (Burger King, Panda Express, Sbarros, etc..) in every village
That was discussed but the illegal aliens that man the fast food joints here in the USA refuse to work in Astan.......
Old 07-20-2011, 18:49   #11
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
That was discussed but the illegal aliens that man the fast food joints here in the USA refuse to work in Astan.......
Sir, I think you might have stumbled on to a use for Blackwater.

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 18:59   #12
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

The MSM is a day late and dollar short - as usual. The pilot project was a month ago. A few of us who aided the execution in some way got to attend the graduation "feast" where we (the Command) hosted the Afghan SF General and his entourage. I'm guessing the newspaper saw the solicitation for contract we submitted last month when the program was deemed successful and required. As for the chattering classes - move along smartly now. There's nothing to see here.

P.S. - It isn't for Special Forces Soldiers. It's for cooks. Real, live, honest to God, Army cooks. We've (mostly) broken the code to get cooks from the Army to support the VSO sites and isolated firebases. They needed an introduction to real SF logistics - feeding guys (usually by themselves) without TISA and a mess hall. That means procurement, preparation, presentation, preservation, sanitation, etc. in an austere environment. Thank a really motivated CW3 Food Services Officer in G4 USASFC(A).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Afghan Meal & Gordy's Wedding 001.jpg (104.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Afghan Meal & Gordy's Wedding 005.jpg (114.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Afghan Meal & Gordy's Wedding 012.jpg (34.0 KB, 103 views)
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 20:49   #13
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
The MSM is a day late and dollar short - as usual. The pilot project was a month ago. A few of us who aided the execution in some way got to attend the graduation "feast" where we (the Command) hosted the Afghan SF General and his entourage. I'm guessing the newspaper saw the solicitation for contract we submitted last month when the program was deemed successful and required. As for the chattering classes - move along smartly now. There's nothing to see here.

P.S. - It isn't for Special Forces Soldiers. It's for cooks. Real, live, honest to God, Army cooks. We've (mostly) broken the code to get cooks from the Army to support the VSO sites and isolated firebases. They needed an introduction to real SF logistics - feeding guys (usually by themselves) without TISA and a mess hall. That means procurement, preparation, presentation, preservation, sanitation, etc. in an austere environment. Thank a really motivated CW3 Food Services Officer in G4 USASFC(A).
Hope like hell you didn't have to train them to do that!
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 21:39   #14
mark46th
Quiet Professional

"That was discussed but the illegal aliens that man the fast food joints here in the USA refuse to work in Astan......." Team Sergeant

The reason our hispanic dependents won't go to A-Stan is because Allah has deemed Carnitas as food non gratis. Islam's loss.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:59   #15
Viking
Quiet Professional

Our cook (USAF) was a little overwhelmed at first. All of our cooking was in a firepit using the wooden bases from the airdrop pallets as firewood. He had limited food, UGR-As and some big pots. (of course there was MREs and First Strikes as well). It didn't take him long and he was doing quite well. We have now upgraded to a homemade grill, some microwaves and a small tabletop stove. I think preparing cooks for the environment ahead of time sounds like a great idea.