Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 11-15-2010, 22:47   #31
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I have a copy that pre-dates 15 August 1970 (as in the first post).......

My copy is dated 24 Feb 1970.....

I'm looking at it right now....
Old 11-15-2010, 22:58   #32
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Who wants to see the first page?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:49   #33
exsquid
Quiet Professional

We don't use the term "base camp" anymore, they are now called "tactical facilities" "TACFAC" for short. This is according to the newest (02/09) FM3-05.230. I believe the change was meant to reflect that fact that you don't always live in a camp but it just sounds gay to me. However, Papi's little green book was still being issued to 18C students when I went through in 07. Would be nice to have it on digits though. Who is our DOTD rep around here?

x/S
Old 11-16-2010, 09:28   #34
glebo
Quiet Professional

I checked with Tim V, the 18C tng developer. He's not sure of what your actually refering to. Any other info on that handout???
Old 11-16-2010, 09:40   #35
wet dog

I'm in agreement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsquid View Post
We don't use the term "base camp" anymore, they are now called "tactical facilities" "TACFAC" for short. This is according to the newest (02/09) FM3-05.230. I believe the change was meant to reflect that fact that you don't always live in a camp but it just sounds gay to me. However, Papi's little green book was still being issued to 18C students when I went through in 07. Would be nice to have it on digits though. Who is our DOTD rep around here?

x/S
"TACFAC" sounds more gay then "base camp".

Last edited by wet dog; 11-16-2010 at 09:42.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:54   #36
glebo
Quiet Professional

ever notice how the conventional army "stole" forward operating base (FOB) and we had to "rename" our facilities....

things that make ya go hhmmm
Old 11-16-2010, 09:57   #37
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
I checked with Tim V, the 18C tng developer. He's not sure of what your actually refering to. Any other info on that handout???
I'm pretty sure it is what has become Papi's little green book. There used to actually be (according to Mr. Tabata) a few blueprint/manual/ documents on base camps and the structures to include detailed blue prints with the BOMs and everything that they used in Vietnam. It was a hodgepodge of information that they had acquired the hard way, through experience, and it was in a manual called Base camps or something to that effect. Not entirely positive it was an actual Army manual or something someone had made by compiling all the BOMs from the base camps in Vietnam. I'd have to ask Mr. Tabata about it to be certain. At any rate, it is this type of institutional knowledge and materials that we seem to lose as it either goes with the people who have it in their heads or the materials/books are forgotten about.....until needed.

Last edited by Papa Zero Three; 11-16-2010 at 09:59.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:02   #38
Richard
Quiet Professional

Tell Ernie to beat his boots for not keeping all his old files on A Camp development - I know he's kept about everything else. FWIW - he and Dick Warren were the guys who built Kham Duc and two of the SF NCOs I truly admired - SGM Warren was my first B TM SGM and SGM Tabata was one of my last B TM SGMs - two of the BEST.

Attached photos are the cover and main sections (Phase 1 - Planning; Phase 2- Construction; Phase 3 - Opening) of the planning handbook circa '66-'67 in my files. I'll see about scanning the entire thing when I get some more time if anyone is interested.

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SF A Camp HB 001.jpg (85.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg SF A Camp Ph1 001.jpg (65.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg SF A Camp PH2 001.jpg (71.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg SF A Camp PH3 001.jpg (58.9 KB, 98 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:14   #39
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Tell Ernie to beat his boots for not keeping all his old files on A Camp development - I know he's kept about everything else. FWIW - he and Dick Warren were the guys who built Kham Duc and two of the SF NCOs I truly admired - SGM Warren was my first B TM SGM and SGM Tabata was one of my last B TM SGMs - two of the BEST.

Attached photos are the cover and main sections (Phase 1 - Planning; Phase 2- Construction; Phase 3 - Opening) of the planning handbook circa '66-'67 in my files. I'll see about scanning the entire thing when I get some more time if anyone is interested.

Richard

I'm going to guess that's the book people were looking for a while back, I know I was. Based on the pictures, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that was never an official Army manual.

I'd appreciate a scan of it if you have the time.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:52   #40
exsquid
Quiet Professional

I am refering to a little mint green covered Base Camp manual written by Papi I believe sometime in the 70s. Once I get back in country I can take a look at mine for the exact title & publication date. It includes a lot of hand done drawing. My favorite being one of a VC crawling under the wire while rounds go over top the wire with a in the corner. The next one is a VC climbing over the wire & getting shot w/ a in the corner.

x/S
Old 11-17-2010, 09:23   #41
bost1751
Quiet Professional

Thanks Richard. I still know it as "Camp". I don't ever recall SF using the term base camp. I still recall the star formation A camp.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:29   #42
bost1751
Quiet Professional

should have read "A Camp"
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:17   #43
HisDisciple
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
ANNEX B (M-16 / CAR 15 Tips) to Detachment B-52 (Project Delta) Reconnaissance Tips of the Trade.

M-16 / CAR 15 Tips

13. Place magazines upside down with the bullets pointed away from your body in the ammo pouches. This will keep dirt and water out of them and if a round goes off due to enemy fire, you won’t be injured by your own ammo.
I have never heard of this, is this popular to pack mags like this on the teams?

This manual is excellent, a lot of it is common sense, lots of excellent info though. Unfortunetly, I'm sure this knowledge was paid in blood, so that we can know.

"I love hearing people talk about "thinking outside the box." It seems those who talk the most are those who cant manage to think inside the box, attempting to use it as a defense for poorly thought out ideas/decisions..."
-Surgicalcric

"Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption."
-Hebrews 9:12
HisDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:43   #44
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisDisciple View Post
I have never heard of this, is this popular to pack mags like this on the teams?

This manual is excellent, a lot of it is common sense, lots of excellent info though. Unfortunetly, I'm sure this knowledge was paid in blood, so that we can know.
Gutted 550 cord, looped, exiting the small water drain hole on the bottom of each mag will aid in the removal of a magazine. Also, placing an non-pourus 1/4" cushion at the bottom of the ammo pouch will raise the magazine said height.

Of course none of this really matters, on an ODA there are no individual deviations, one does what the team decides is the SOP. Each new mission may require something different. That's why we rehearse, and rehearse, and rehearse until we get it right.

"Actions on the objective are directly proportionate to the amount of time spent in preperation, factors to the fourth and fifth powers are not uncommon". - An early Mentor
Old 11-17-2010, 12:08   #45
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Gutted 550 cord, looped, exiting the small water drain hole on the bottom of each mag will aid in the removal of a magazine.
"Thumb loops" were a must - especially w/gloves or in colder weather.

Quote:
Also, placing an non-pourus 1/4" cushion at the bottom of the ammo pouch will raise the magazine said height.
We placed a small, OD plastic wrapped combat dressing at the bottom of each magazine pouch to raise the magazines for easier access and so each man carried plenty of dressings.

We also cut about 1/2" off the upper front of the pouch to make it easier to slide the magazines out.

FOG tips - a bit 'dated' now but still good to know and applicable if it becomes necessary to 'borrow' older style gear still found throughout much of the world.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote