Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 03-08-2009, 19:55   #1
alelks
Quiet Professional

Looking for something (part of a ceremony)

Many years ago I attended a graduation ceremony at Ft. Bragg (around 1985 or so). It was either an O&I or ANCOC but I can't remember which.

The ceremony started with the flag on stage lit by a spot light and over the speakers came something like this:

There once was a time when......

and something like:

I lead every parade
I was displayed......
People removed their hats...
etc
etc
etc

For the life of me I have never been able to find it.

Does anyone have any insight into where it came from or where I can get a copy?

AL
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 20:33   #2
nmap
Area Commander

Sir, perhaps this is what you want?

LINK

Some people call me Old Glory, others call me the star-spangled banner. But, whatever they call me ... I am your flag, of the United States of America. Something has been bothering me, and I thought I might talk it over with you. I remember some time ago, people lined up on both sides of the street to watch the parade, and naturally ... I lead every parade, proudly waving in the breeze. When your daddy saw me coming, he immediately removed his hat and placed it over his heart ... remember?

What happened? I'm still the same old flag. Oh, I have been a few more stars since you were a boy, and a lot more blood has been shed since those parades of long ago.

But now, I don't feel as proud as I used to. When I come down your street, you just stand there with you hands in your pockets, and maybe I will get a small glance ... then you look away. I see the children running around, shouting ... they don't seem to know who I am. I saw one man take off his hat and look around. He didn't see anybody else take off their hats, so he put his back on.

Is it a sin to be patriotic anymore? Have you all forgotten what I stand for and where I have been ... Anzio, Guadalcanal, Korea and Vietnam?

Take a good look at the memorial honor rolls sometime ... at the names of those who never came back ... one national under God. Remember when you salute me, you are actually saluting them.

Well, it won't be long before I'll be coming back down your street again. So, when you see me D stand up straight, place your hand over your heart ... and I'll salute you by waving back. Then, I'll know that you remembered.

Acronym Key:

MOO: My Opinion Only
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary
ETF: Exchange Traded Fund

Oil Chart

30 year Treasury Bond
nmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 20:38   #3
alelks
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmap View Post
Sir, perhaps this is what you want?

LINK

Some people call me Old Glory, others call me the star-spangled banner. But, whatever they call me ... I am your flag, of the United States of America. Something has been bothering me, and I thought I might talk it over with you. I remember some time ago, people lined up on both sides of the street to watch the parade, and naturally ... I lead every parade, proudly waving in the breeze. When your daddy saw me coming, he immediately removed his hat and placed it over his heart ... remember?

What happened? I'm still the same old flag. Oh, I have been a few more stars since you were a boy, and a lot more blood has been shed since those parades of long ago.

But now, I don't feel as proud as I used to. When I come down your street, you just stand there with you hands in your pockets, and maybe I will get a small glance ... then you look away. I see the children running around, shouting ... they don't seem to know who I am. I saw one man take off his hat and look around. He didn't see anybody else take off their hats, so he put his back on.

Is it a sin to be patriotic anymore? Have you all forgotten what I stand for and where I have been ... Anzio, Guadalcanal, Korea and Vietnam?

Take a good look at the memorial honor rolls sometime ... at the names of those who never came back ... one national under God. Remember when you salute me, you are actually saluting them.

Well, it won't be long before I'll be coming back down your street again. So, when you see me D stand up straight, place your hand over your heart ... and I'll salute you by waving back. Then, I'll know that you remembered.
Thank you sir for the reply.

I like that one too but that's not quite it.

There was much more.

There was a time when........

I have yet to come across it again.
Old 03-08-2009, 21:07   #4
alelks
Quiet Professional

If I remember correctly parts of this were in it:

I am the Flag

by Ruth Apperson Rous
I am the flag of the United States of America.

I was born on June 14, 1777, in Philadelphia.

There the Continental Congress adopted my stars and stripes as the national flag.

My thirteen stripes alternating red and white, with a union of thirteen white stars in a field of blue, represented a new constellation, a new nation dedicated to the personal and religious liberty of mankind.

Today fifty stars signal from my union, one for each of the fifty sovereign states in the greatest constitutional republic the world has ever known.

My colors symbolize the patriotic ideals and spiritual qualities of the citizens of my country.

My red stripes proclaim the fearless courage and integrity of American men and boys and the self-sacrifice and devotion of American mothers and daughters.

My white stripes stand for liberty and equality for all.

My blue is the blue of heaven, loyalty, and faith.

I represent these eternal principles: liberty, justice, and humanity.

I embody American freedom: freedom of speech, religion, assembly, the press, and the sanctity of the home.

I typify that indomitable spirit of determination brought to my land by Christopher Columbus and by all my forefathers - the Pilgrims, Puritans, settlers at James town and Plymouth.

I am as old as my nation.

I am a living symbol of my nation's law: the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights.

I voice Abraham Lincoln's philosophy: "A government of the people, by the people,for the people."

I stand guard over my nation's schools, the seedbed of good citizenship and true patriotism.

I am displayed in every schoolroom throughout my nation; every schoolyard has a flag pole for my display.

Daily thousands upon thousands of boys and girls pledge their allegiance to me and my country.

I have my own law�Public Law 829, "The Flag Code" - which definitely states my correct use and display for all occasions and situations.

I have my special day, Flag Day. June 14 is set aside to honor my birth.

Americans, I am the sacred emblem of your country. I symbolize your birthright, your heritage of liberty purchased with blood and sorrow.

I am your title deed of freedom, which is yours to enjoy and hold in trust for posterity.

If you fail to keep this sacred trust inviolate, if I am nullified and destroyed, you and your children will become slaves to dictators and despots.

Eternal vigilance is your price of freedom.

As you see me silhouetted against the peaceful skies of my country, remind yourself that I am the flag of your country, that I stand for what you are - no more, no less.

Guard me well, lest your freedom perish from the earth.

Dedicate your lives to those principles for which I stand: "One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

I was created in freedom. I made my first appearance in a battle for human liberty.

God grant that I may spend eternity in my "land of the free and the home of the brave" and that I shall ever be known as "Old Glory," the flag of the United States of America.