Old 08-01-2011, 15:48   #1
Intel Cop
Auxiliary

Graduation Ceremony Question

My cousin comes out of Robin Sage very soon, and will be graduating a few days after that. The problem is, I am trying to surprise him by driving down to Bragg, and do not want to ask him this question directly.

Being that the SFQC is not an entry level graduation, and likely the greatest achievement of many of these men's lives, I am sure lots of family members actually attend, unlike other Army ceremonies. I am worried that planning a 9 hour drive and hotel reservation might backfire and I won't be able to get in.

Does this graduation ceremony require tickets? Anything else I can figure out on the way or get info from his father once he comes out of the field. Unfortunately though, I cannot wait until that point to put in for my time off from work.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Intel Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 16:11   #2
PRB
Quiet Professional

The grad ceremony has changed since I left SWC but any event open to the public, grad ceremony etc, is free..no tickets.
You just need to know where/when...also give yourself time to clear the gate, you may need to pull over and register to be on Post so add another 20/30 minutes to what you plan.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 16:33   #3
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Show up a day or two beforehand and make sure to attend the Regimental First Formation/Donning the Beret Ceremony... Graduation is nice, but this is when the men are welcomed into the SF Brotherhood and a DMOR is the one doing the welcoming.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 18:38   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
The grad ceremony has changed since I left SWC but any event open to the public, grad ceremony etc, is free..no tickets.
You just need to know where/when...also give yourself time to clear the gate, you may need to pull over and register to be on Post so add another 20/30 minutes to what you plan.
Last time I heard, it wasn't held on post anyway, it was down at the Crown Center, near the airport.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 19:22   #5
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Last time I heard, it wasn't held on post anyway, it was down at the Crown Center, near the airport.

TR
Yup, you are right, I was thinking of the Rgmtl Formation/Beret donning
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:30   #6
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

You might inquire as to what exactly transpires at graduation being as it might not live up to your expectations. In my mind, one goes not to see the ceremony as much as to be there for the guy who graduates (hope that makes sense).

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:59   #7
Intel Cop
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
You might inquire as to what exactly transpires at graduation being as it might not live up to your expectations. In my mind, one goes not to see the ceremony as much as to be there for the guy who graduates (hope that makes sense).
Makes total sense, and its exactly why I am going down. We are a very military family, almost every male has served (only one of those not being Army). Two WWII vets, and my cousin's father is a Vietnam Vet. If graduation was a kick in the ass as they hand him his orders, I would still be going

He visited me when I was in 10th Group (2/10 Support) and told me then that he was going to be a Green Beret and move to Colorado. Now he's doing both!

Thanks for the answers. If it's off post, that's even better. I was only worried about "tickets" as in a certain allotment per graduate. His parents, wife, and sister are already going, so I was afraid of being shut out.

Thanks again!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19   #8
Slantwire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel Cop View Post
If it's off post, that's even better. I was only worried about "tickets" as in a certain allotment per graduate. His parents, wife, and sister are already going, so I was afraid of being shut out.
For graduation in October 2010, the usable seating at the Crown Center was maybe 40% full. Plenty of space.
Old 08-03-2011, 14:29   #9
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Special Forces Graduation:

The next Graduation for The SFQC is August 11,2011. See my PM for details on trip & lodging in Fayetteville Area...Regard's, TOM Kelly Hope It is some help?
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 16:27   #10
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Fayetteville travel plans...
If you're coming for a graduation, among other things you should plan for if time allows is the Airborne and Special Ops Museum downtown, the Special Forces Museum and the 82nd's Museum on post.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 17:56   #11
Intel Cop
Auxiliary

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded. Tom, thanks very much for the info about the date. I confirmed that with my uncle.

Unfortunately, I cannot attend on the 11th. Originally I was told it was on the 12th, which was perfect because coincidentally, I had chosen that day as a scheduled day off back in January.

Thanks for all you do, and I am extremely proud and happy that my cousin is joining your ranks. He's taking our family's military tradition to the next level, something I will always respect him for.

Airborne!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:46   #12
hadjiholdblue
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
Yup, you are right, I was thinking of the Rgmtl Formation/Beret donning
Unfortunately there is no RFF on a separate day anymore. Everything is included in the Grad ceremony at the coliseum.

You receive all paper work and your Yarborough knife before the ceremony and receive your Beret the day of grad. Once everyone has crossed the stage, the order is given to don the Green Beret.

But they added bagpipes. Yup, a guy in a kilt playing bagpipes as we marched out. It actually was impressive.
hadjiholdblue is offline   Reply With Quote