Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 07-25-2014, 11:21   #1
oz10
Asset

Suunto Ambit2 Vs Garmin Tacix

Im in need of a new watch and finally willing to get a GPS watch. I currently have Suunto Core and love it. Ive looked all over the internet and cant seem to find a good review comparing the two. I hoping someone on here has experience with the two watches and give an honest opinion of them. Im a full time LEO and in the military so it will be worn for work. Thanks
oz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:23   #2
oz10
Asset

I guess what Im looking for is to be able to put to points into the watch and it give the direction to get there. Ive never had a GPS watch before, can these watches do that?
oz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:16   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz10 View Post
I guess what Im looking for is to be able to put to points into the watch and it give the direction to get there. Ive never had a GPS watch before, can these watches do that?
OZ

As you joined in 2005 and this is your 1st & 2nd post, Do the crowd a favor and post an introduction and fill out you profile.

If you did an intro in 2005, it's gone so re-post one.

I think, by the way you formed your question, that you can do your self a favor by reading the manufactures web sites to see if the products can do what you want?

Here is a start. A comparison of watch/GPS': http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/g...ix-review.html

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 15:40   #4
Flagg
Area Commander

I've got a Suunto Ambit2R.

The Ambit2R is basically an Ambit2 with about half the battery life and a couple fewer features for a far cheaper price(at time of purchase).

I use it regularly for accurate measurement of RFL(required fitness level) run times(not just distance/time, but speed second by second thru run).

I find it useful for interval training and working towards run time targets/goals.

It also spits out 10 figure GRs with MGRS mode. The only problem with this is unless the GPS is running(and burning thru the battery) it takes 7 button clicks to get to the GR and about 5 seconds for GPS sat lock. Sat lock is VERY fast outdoors, even down at the bottom of the planet, under heavy canopy, and in very steep re-entrants. Indoors or in a plane the GPS is very slow to lock.

I don't mind TOO much as I'm a big advocate of not getting complacent with over reliance on GPS and just using it as a spot check backup to map/compass/protractor.

There is a pretty good website with embedded Google maps associated with the watch for plugging the watch in via USB cable to a computer to plot in routes/waypoints/POIs.

It's easy to upload existing routes in multiple formats into the watch. I just did a 26km route last weekend thru some heavy canopy and very steep terrain doqn here at the bottom of the planet without a hitch and it worked as advertised.

But the battery burn was a good bit higher than advertised after only 5 hours. If it was operational I would have had to keep it to spot checks rather than running continuous the entire time or use something like a Foretrex 401.

It's not perfect, but suits my needs(tells time, is robust, good for fitness management, it has a good magnetic compass, provides 10 figure GRs easy enough, routes/waypoints/POIs can be easily created/uploaded, and it's cheap)...but the battery burn is high when GPS is in use and 10 figure GRs take 7 button pushes, so best for spot checking existing manual nav halts while in the field for an extended period.

The Suunto Ambit2R doesn't have the fancy Jumpmaster modes and such like on the Garmin Tactix, but I'm not a Jumpmaster. I wonder if it's of real value to a JM, or just gimmicky(like how mountaineers typically don't rely on a watch for baro/altimeter)

I did have the GPS going from takeoff to DZ a few times and downloaded the data into Google Maps to see SL jumps from a different perspective.

Pretty cool to see after the fact things like exit speed, exit point, landing point.

I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10 "bang for buck" for my personal needs and I'd give it a 7 out of 10 for functionality/usability due to high battery burn rate with GPS running and the excessive button clicks(7) to get 10 figure GR.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote