Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

View Poll Results: What is the current status of Bin Ladin?
Dead 218 48.77%
Alive, but Bin Hidin' 165 36.91%
Alive, and actively leading AQ 52 11.63%
Other 12 2.68%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2007, 08:49   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Where's Bin Ladin?

My vote is that first he was hiding, now he is dead.

I believe that the last confirmed contact with him was April of 2003, when an arrested al-Qaeda leader, Tawfiq bin Attash, disclosed having met him in the Khost province of Afghanistan three months earlier. Where is he now? I believe in an unmarked grave.

Anyone have any indication or sign of him that can be confirmed since then? That is a personal live sighting, not a recycled old videotape or statement on his behalf by al-Zawahiri.

Why would he not have made a statement or appearance in over four years if he were still alive? Al-Zawahiri has made plenty.

Thoughts?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:21   #2
rubberneck
Area Commander

I obviously don't know for sure, but I find it very interesting that we never hear from him. It is always number 2's mug on those propaganda video's. Where is the big guy?

IMHO he is dead and neither side waill admit it. AQ would lose a powerful icon that brings them a ton of "street cred", and our government, after being burned at the stake for relying on faulty intel, will not announce that he is dead until they confirm his remains through DNA.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:27   #3
JMI
BANNED USER

I was reading the article of Zawahiri's latest video, and they kept referring to him as the #2 member of AQ. I kept thinking #2? Where's #1? I think he is dead simply because of the silence.
JMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:35   #4
x-factor
Guerrilla

If he were dead, there'd be no way for AQ to contain the news or the infighting. I think he hasn't been on TV because AQ has not had any substantial victories to crow about and they don't want UBL's imaged mired in the day-to-day stuff.

In American electoral politics we have the tradition of "VP as hatchetman" meaning on the campaign trail the Presidential candidate sticks to a rosey positive message while the VP goes hard negative on the other candidate (Eisenhower-Nixon was the quintessential example of this). I think what AQ is doing is kind of the same thing. Most of what Zawahiri does these days is talk trash (and equivocate about the battlefield pastings they're taking) on Iraq and Afghanistan and criticize other Muslims (he loves to scold Hamas) for not carrying out jihad in an "appropriate manner".

They take a longer view of the conflict and they want to preserve UBL as a larger-than-life "unifying symbol of victory for all Muslims" and to do that they can't be trotting him out every month to take out the garbage. If there's a spectacular attack or somekind of battlefield "success" for AQ, then I think you'll see UBL again.

X
x-factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:39   #5
82ndtrooper
BANNED USER

If his kidney's didn't finally give out, expecially without dialysis, then He's been killed and in an unmarked grave as TR mentions.

It's interesting though how "quite" those that are captured, and may know have been about his where abouts or death.

Just when we discontinued "water boarding" ..............or not ?
82ndtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:56   #6
lksteve
Quiet Professional

toes up in a cave somewhere...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:34   #7
HOLLiS
Area Commander

My vote is that he made a rodent family very happy, by providing them with dinner for a while.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:03   #8
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-factor
If he were dead, there'd be no way for AQ to contain the news or the infighting. I think he hasn't been on TV because AQ has not had any substantial victories to crow about and they don't want UBL's imaged mired in the day-to-day stuff.

In American electoral politics we have the tradition of "VP as hatchetman" meaning on the campaign trail the Presidential candidate sticks to a rosey positive message while the VP goes hard negative on the other candidate (Eisenhower-Nixon was the quintessential example of this). I think what AQ is doing is kind of the same thing. Most of what Zawahiri does these days is talk trash (and equivocate about the battlefield pastings they're taking) on Iraq and Afghanistan and criticize other Muslims (he loves to scold Hamas) for not carrying out jihad in an "appropriate manner".

They take a longer view of the conflict and they want to preserve UBL as a larger-than-life "unifying symbol of victory for all Muslims" and to do that they can't be trotting him out every month to take out the garbage. If there's a spectacular attack or somekind of battlefield "success" for AQ, then I think you'll see UBL again.
I tend to agree with your thought train here. I wish the 'SOB ' was dead and buried in a Pig's skin somewhere ... but I doubt he's dead.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:03   #9
JMI
BANNED USER

Quote:
Can you tell me the last time you saw him on Video? And if they do not have any victories to crow about, isn't now the time for OBL to "gather the flock?"
Every month? What has it been, 40+ months?
JMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:05   #10
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

I'm with TR, but if he is still alive.........I think that he has been holed up in China and if dead, was hiding up there also!!! While we can work with the Pakis, we could never get China to allow us in!!
Old 07-07-2007, 12:58   #11
x-factor
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMI
Can you tell me the last time you saw him on Video?
If I'm not mistaken, his last video was June 2006. It was 19 minutes commenting on the death of Zarqawi. "The banner of Islam will be passed to another lion" or something like that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/middle_east/5131818.stm

Quote:
And if they do not have any victories to crow about, isn't now the time for OBL to "gather the flock?"
No battlefield victories, by that I mean no cases where they can say they stood and fought Americans and won (by any measure).

They must certainly view the disunified state of American politics and the general negative impression of Iraq as a strategic victory. He's probably waiting to see how the surge and the American election process play out too.

Quote:
What has it been, 40+ months?
13, see above.

X
Old 07-07-2007, 13:33   #12
Pete
Quiet Professional

No Video

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, his last video was June 2006. It was 19 minutes commenting on the death of Zarqawi....
13, see above.
It was not a video of him, just a recording. The only thing shown of him was a still picture.

He's worm dirt.

You can't prove a negative so "Until he stands up in a video with today's paper he's worm dirt".
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 13:44   #13
x-factor
Guerrilla

The voice in the video was reported as "confirmed." Still, your point is valid. The last time he was seen moving on tape was October 2004 (so 33 months or so). Since then its been all audio messages (none in 2005, 4 in 2006, none since).

Certainly its possible he's dead, but he's gone long periods between statements before so I think Occam's Razor is more on the side of "alive and waiting."

X
Old 07-07-2007, 14:05   #14
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Dead or Alive...

I suspect we will know what happened to Tony Soprano before we know what happened to this yard bird. He did create an Islamic version of the Borg Collective. They seem to be able to procreate themselves without him. A family member who was near Tora-Bora claims he never survived that attack, he walked the walk and I believe him.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 14:18   #15
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:

My .02c,

Understand the above train of thought but I think it is "over thinking" the issue. While the news media does not mention it....we kick the crap out of AQ every bloody day. The American public does not know this but AQ sure as hell does. Given that the The Arab culture is so very patriarchal and so focused on the father figure, it would seem highly unlikely that UBL would not have made an attempt to rally the true believers to the cause and urge on the terrorist cowards. Couple that with a deteriorating renal condition, his inability (assumed) to seek proper medical care and the intense pressure we are putting on him...to me it adds up to UBL is dead. If you have never seen a renal patient...most needing dialysis are extremely sick people.
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote