Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 10-14-2014, 06:14   #1
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Current election

Okay so I live in DC, Northern Virginia area, but still go back to NC monthly. So I get to see two of the States that the GOP needs to win and the campaign ads that are being ran in each state.

I can say, IMO the GOP once again isn't doing a good job and trying to win key states. The DemocRat opponent ads are running the airwaves every commercial break. Also the DemocRat back PACs and Super PAC originations are running their own ads against the GOP candidates.

For me this is not going to get people to change their votes and I will even say, it won't get people out and vote for the GOP.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:57   #2
Richard
Quiet Professional

Out here the Congressional race is nothing but über-negative, ugly attack ads for both sides and people are tired of it. As in NC, I doubt they'll sway any voters from voting their traditional party ticket of choice.

For the governor's race, the Dem incumbent has a strong record and is generally well liked; the Rep candidate has struggled the entire campaign to overcome the 54% incumbent 19% challenger poll numbers.

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:35   #3
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

"There is not a dimes worth of difference between the Democrats and Republicans." George Corlely Wallace, former governor of the state of Alabama
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:19   #4
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperFrank View Post
"There is not a dimes worth of difference between the Democrats and Republicans." George Corlely Wallace, former governor of the state of Alabama
I'm in full agreement on this statement!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:15   #5
tim180a
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperFrank View Post
Agreed. If the Republicans take the Senate, you won't see anyting different than what you get from the Democrats. Both parties are useless to the majority of the American people...
tim180a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 14:30   #6
Trappertod
Asset

Seems like to me we are being taxed again without fair representation, are you all sure we broke from the monarchy?
Trappertod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 14:31   #7
Lan
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Out here the Congressional race is nothing but über-negative, ugly attack ads for both sides and people are tired of it.
I would have made myself available had I known about this mornings debate between Art Moore and Tom McClintock. According to the news, it got personal.

I despise career politicians but I do like the way things are in my county so it'll be tough for me to vote in new blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
For the governor's race, the Dem incumbent has a strong record and is generally well liked; the Rep candidate has struggled the entire campaign to overcome the 54% incumbent 19% challenger poll numbers.
Now that I know Jerry Brown drowns children, Kashkari's got my vote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEZFdmwqG3Q
Old 10-15-2014, 05:22   #8
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Here is an article on a Colorado race I have been watching: http://news.yahoo.com/is-cory-gardne...230141864.html

It covers some interesting ground about where the future of the Republican party might be heading, it also exposes some of the values of the right that make it challenging for the center to agree with.

Udalls adds are perplexing, they say things like " Women are front and center in our ( his) campaign" but fails to cover any issues or say why From my view time for professional politicians to be replaced by others that are concerned about the issues and interested in doing the peoples work. Udall has apparently been absent for most of the votes on the Armed Forces and Intelligence committees, busy I suppose.
A little on Udalls world views...how the heck was he placed on those committees?
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/09/0...oreign-policy/

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:39   #9
Pete
Quiet Professional

Libertarians

Libertarians here in NC (two in my family circle) are ecstatic that they might get 7% this election.

That's their big issue. Getting more than 2%.

Hagan will win reelection by far less votes than the Libertarian candidate got.

To be fair, Tillis was the GOP-e candidate and the conservatives split their vote """again""" letting the GOP-e candidate float to the top. So now some "conservatives" are all butt hurt and are running to the Libertarian candidate.

Hey, dudes, how about winning for a change!!??
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:48   #10
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Libertarians here in NC (two in my family circle) are ecstatic that they might get 7% this election.

That's their big issue. Getting more than 2%.

Hagan will win reelection by far less votes than the Libertarian candidate got.

To be fair, Tillis was the GOP-e candidate and the conservatives split their vote """again""" letting the GOP-e candidate float to the top. So now some "conservatives" are all butt hurt and are running to the Libertarian candidate.

Hey, dudes, how about winning for a change!!??
I used to be like that, voted by my principles... voting along party lines this time is the best message I can send these next few terms ( rejection votes for the current administration and the infill of that ilk into our government). Seems important to be working within the party I align with the closest to make changes to the quality of candidates they field too. Voting for a libertarian or independent is like throwing your vote away, maybe even two votes.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 18:36   #11
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan View Post

I despise career politicians but I do like the way things are in my county so it'll be tough for me to vote in new blood.
Aahhh, the ol' Congress is all f'ed up! Except for MY congressman.

News flash! They are all f'ed up, even mine. Fire the whole lot.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 18:56   #12
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

If you want to be a conservative, vote your principles in the primaries. Hold your nose and vote party line in the general elections (that does not include Libertarian lunacies). Otherwise you're contributing to the downfall. If you disagree, you're either uneducated (probable given the lack of civics education in the modern curriculum), naive, or nihilist. In any event, doing otherwise guarantees that your vote will support the least favorable outcome.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 19:48   #13
Pete
Quiet Professional

Tillis

I'm looking forward to voting for Tillis.

How often do you get a chance to vote for a motherless son of Satan who rips puppies and kittens apart with his teeth, who drags old people out of their homes and pours burning water from fracturing wells down their throats as he kicks them into the street, burns women alive at the stake - and doing it all with a smile.

See, I did learn something from the hour I watched TV tonight.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 19:54   #14
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I'm looking forward to voting for Tillis.

How often do you get a chance to vote for a motherless son of Satan who rips puppies and kittens apart with his teeth, who drags old people out of their homes and pours burning water from fracturing wells down their throats as he kicks them into the street, burns women alive at the stake - and doing it all with a smile.

See, I did learn something from the hour I watched TV tonight.
Me too. Sad commentary WRT the "lesser of the available evils".
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 20:38   #15
PSM
Area Commander

I get to vote for the woman who sued the DoD about having to wear an abaya off base in Saudi Arabia. (Saying her name in the A-10 community is a $5 fine.) From those that served with her, the complaints from the Saudi's was that she ran around the perimeter fence in a sports bra. She also claimed to be the first woman to fly in combat and command a combat squadron. She's since amended it to say the first AF woman to fly in combat and command an AF squadron. Pat Schroeder closely followed her training and career by calling her commanders. Also, as in Instructor Pilot at DM, in Tucson, she took off with a student in tow and had to declare an emergency when she discovered that she took off with only reserve fuel.

There 'ya go. Just another outstanding conservative Republican.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 10-15-2014 at 21:03.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote