Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Old 07-17-2007, 01:00   #61
Fiercely Loyal
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Hostage rescue is not a mission of the Marine Corps.

For future reference, consider that anyone who would tell you about it is not going to be participating in a mission like that.

The people who do conduct hostage rescues do not talk about it.

There is an entire thread here about how the family of a hostage in a similar situation may have compromised his safety and prevented a rescue attempt by talking with the media about them.

'Nuff said.

TR

Roger Sir. It did not sound like it added up.

However do you think that more rescues are being made or attempted because of our countries prior actions in Vietnam?

Last edited by Fiercely Loyal; 07-17-2007 at 01:12.
Fiercely Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:11   #62
Fiercely Loyal
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
This OPSEC hazard should have been stripped bare, covered in honey, and placed on an ant hill so he could ponder his stupidity with every ant bite. Even if he was spinning a yarn, the fact that something like this may have been in the wind would have been placed in jeopardy. Do you think you are the only person with whom this loud mouthed idiot shared his "secret"?
No sir, I am positive he told other folks the same story. It was really suprising to hear someone say something like that.
Old 07-26-2007, 20:44   #63
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz
Calling it an Enormous crime is being nice. .

Much too nice.

I finished this book the other evening, I don't even know how to begin to express my emotions. The disgust, contempt and anger I feel for the administrations, politicians and the DIA...beyond words. How hundreds of reports of live sightings can be ridiculed and dismissed has me reeling. May God forgive them, because I do not know how the families or the POWs/MIAs ever could.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:48   #64
sf11b_p
Guerrilla

I wonder does the book mention the POW/MIA issues of wars prior to VN?

I understand the focus of VN as it's more recent history and deals with men who's names are known here, but VN isn't the first time the U.S. knowingly left men behind.

As early as WWI Soviet Bolshevik forces captured and held allied and American prisoners. The Soviets wanted recognition of their government.

In WWII a large number of allied soldiers “disappeared” at the end of the war. These were men still in or returned to German POW camps in territories that fell under Russian control. It happened partly as a result over, IIRC, the Yalta agreement dealing with POW exchange and the returning of Russian political prisoners to Russia. A number of those Russian POWs being men who fought with the Germans against Russia. Last the Russians wanted money.

To a lesser degree it’s claimed POWs were lost during the Korean War.
cnn.com/US/9609/17/korea.pows/index.html

I’d read a book some years ago that had researched the earlier POW/MIA issues, unfortunately I can’t remember the name. The following websites have some of what I remember from the book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yalta_Conference
taskforceomegainc.org/freedom.htm
nationalalliance.org/vietnam/ovrvw03.htm
geocities.com/pentagon/2527/jhww2.html
sf11b_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 13:44   #65
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf11b_p
I wonder does the book mention the POW/MIA issues of wars prior to VN?

I understand the focus of VN as it's more recent history and deals with men who's names are known here, but VN isn't the first time the U.S. knowingly left men behind.

As early as WWI Soviet Bolshevik forces captured and held allied and American prisoners. The Soviets wanted recognition of their government.

In WWII a large number of allied soldiers “disappeared” at the end of the war. These were men still in or returned to German POW camps in territories that fell under Russian control. It happened partly as a result over, IIRC, the Yalta agreement dealing with POW exchange and the returning of Russian political prisoners to Russia. A number of those Russian POWs being men who fought with the Germans against Russia. Last the Russians wanted money.

To a lesser degree it’s claimed POWs were lost during the Korean War.
cnn.com/US/9609/17/korea.pows/index.html

I’d read a book some years ago that had researched the earlier POW/MIA issues, unfortunately I can’t remember the name. The following websites have some of what I remember from the book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yalta_Conference
taskforceomegainc.org/freedom.htm
nationalalliance.org/vietnam/ovrvw03.htm
geocities.com/pentagon/2527/jhww2.html
Yes it do's go a little into the history of POW'S. Just to show there is no comparison. Wonder why the swift boat episode was used to debunk Kerry during his run for president but not his involvement in the POW issue. Maybe the intel wasn't declassified yet? No wonder those VN Vets went after him. How someone like that came close to being our president is just scary.
My take was Kerry got involved in the POW investigation for his own advancement. He wanted to use it to boost his political career. When he realized he would never be able to prove they were still there. Not because there wasn't proof. But because it would be to much work, take to long.....etc.
He decided to convince everyone that there weren't any live Americans in VN. It was easier to say no then yes there are Americans being held.
Being caught on tape lying about the unannounced visit to a prison camp says it all. He tipped off the Vietnamese about his next days visit. A reporter taped him talking about what prison he wanted to visit the next day. Representatives from the VN Government were present.
Then he had a press conference at said prison saying "they wouldn't of let us do these unannounced visits if they were holding Americans" Then thanked the VN Government for their cooperation.
Thats where I would hide foreign prisoners in my country. In one of the largest prisons thats located in the capital
No matter what the consequences he wanted to be the hero. Just my take on his involvement.
Old 09-05-2008, 13:02   #66
Defender968
SF Candidate

Just ordered a copy, I saw that it's being re-released, and haven't read it yet. I'm curious, does anyone who's read it know if the authors reference KGB Maj. Gen. Oleg Kalugins testimony to the Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs in 1992 at all, I've been looking for transcripts or video of the testimony on Google and have had no luck thus far, I'm starting to suspect it may not have been declassified.
Defender968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 18:49   #67
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender968 View Post
I'm curious, does anyone who's read it know if the authors reference KGB Maj. Gen. Oleg Kalugins testimony to the Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs in 1992 at all, .
He is mentioned, but there is not an actual transcript in the book.