Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 04-29-2019, 16:39   #1
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Non addictive pain medicine

Listened to a radio piece on this today. Seems very promising. Discovered by an Entomologist. Going to human trial soon. I would think the VA might be interested in this project.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/he...229700594.html

LHC
Old 05-26-2019, 18:56   #2
VAKEMP
Auxiliary

Coincidentally, I was listening to Ben Shapiro's interview with Newt Gingrich today, and the topic of non-addictive pain medication came up. Very interesting, and hopefully realized sooner rather than later.

Newt Gingrich | The Ben Shapiro Show Sunday Special Ep. 52
VAKEMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:46   #3
Guy
Quiet Professional

Question I agree however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
Listened to a radio piece on this today. Seems very promising. Discovered by an Entomologist. Going to human trial soon. I would think the VA might be interested in this project.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/he...229700594.html

LHC
Quote:
Could his discovery put an end to the devastating death toll caused by opioids such as fentanyl, oxycodone, and hydrocodone, drugs that racked up $24.5 billion in sales in 2018?
The pharmaceutical lobbyist will be out in force...

BTW...The video is dated 2012 and we're now just hearing about this drug?

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:33   #4
rubberneck
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
The pharmaceutical lobbyist will be out in force...

BTW...The video is dated 2012 and we're now just hearing about this drug?

I guess but this guy doesn't have the capacity to manufacture the drug himself. More likely is that there'll be a nasty bidding war to earn the right to mass produce the new drug followed by an army of lobbyists representing the losers looking to kill the drug before it kills their golden cow.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 13:23   #5
cbtengr
Area Commander

The Oxycodone/Oxycontin drug works, it is a very effective and fighting pain. I took it for 4 moths following shoulder surgery, when the doc said to start cutting back and eventually quit I did. For the life of me I cannot understand how people get addicted to it. I refuse to demonize the drug or the companies that manufacture it. Consider the following about alcohol but no one gets there panties in a wad about that.

"Drinking too much can harm your health. Excessive alcohol use led to approximately 88,000 deaths and 2.5 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) each year in the United States from 2006 – 2010, shortening the lives of those who died by an average of 30 years.1,2 Further, excessive drinking was responsible for 1 in 10 deaths among working-age adults aged 20-64 years. The economic costs of excessive alcohol consumption in 2010 were estimated at $249 billion, or $2.05 a drink.

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm
Old 05-31-2019, 14:12   #6
Guy
Quiet Professional

Question I'm confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
The Oxycodone/Oxycontin drug works, it is a very effective and fighting pain. I took it for 4 moths following shoulder surgery, when the doc said to start cutting back and eventually quit I did. For the life of me I cannot understand how people get addicted to it. I refuse to demonize the drug or the companies that manufacture it. Consider the following about alcohol but no one gets there panties in a wad about that.

"Drinking too much can harm your health. Excessive alcohol use led to approximately 88,000 deaths and 2.5 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) each year in the United States from 2006 – 2010, shortening the lives of those who died by an average of 30 years.1,2 Further, excessive drinking was responsible for 1 in 10 deaths among working-age adults aged 20-64 years. The economic costs of excessive alcohol consumption in 2010 were estimated at $249 billion, or $2.05 a drink.

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm
What does ETOH have too do with a possible "non-addictive" pain killer prescribed by a "medical" professional?

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 05-31-2019, 19:15   #7
cbtengr
Area Commander

I guess I am just looking at it as a whole, the big picture. I take this as not just a conversation about non addictive pain killers which I have no issue with. but also as an assault on opioids, the drug industry is being made out to be the bad guys. My point is what makes this addiction front page news when there are plenty of other addictions out there to be upset about.
Old 05-31-2019, 19:46   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Looks to me like the way things are going, the best pharm investment would be NARCAN.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:51   #9
Guy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Looks to me like the way things are going, the best pharm investment would be NARCAN.

TR
That's where the battle begins!

Whoever produces NARCAN their stock would drop too include the companies that make opioids...

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 06-01-2019, 05:14   #10
Guy
Quiet Professional

Question I'm confused again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
I guess I am just looking at it as a whole, the big picture. I take this as not just a conversation about non addictive pain killers which I have no issue with. but also as an assault on opioids, the drug industry is being made out to be the bad guys. My point is what makes this addiction front page news when there are plenty of other addictions out there to be upset about.
Did you even watch the video?

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-