Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fur

Old 02-06-2011, 17:19   #46
badshot
Guerrilla Chief

Bushranger, Haven't seen the video on the Snow Leopard research video, very cool animals though, very rare as well. I'll look it up later. Cats (the loner types) are difficult in the best conditions to see or get on cam. The most results come from cams that are well hidden and point across game trails in remote areas. Researcher's call'em camera traps for a reason. (remote meaning: as few people as possible, no motorized traffic within at least a couple of miles.) A major exception is some places in California and near Tucson.

We have some Lynx here as well but have only seen one in four years. It was brutual getting to the area where it was (&*#@ SNOW). In contrast, I normally see a Mt Lion at least once a year. Best place to find them is at 5000ft or higher with deep snow and cover (at least in CONUS). They mostly only eat snowshoes so look for bunny tracks as well. Important point, they (the Lynx) are known to regulate their numbers based on the snowshoe population. So the more bunny's the better chances.

Would love to see that one...

Still enjoy seeing good ones of fox like you took. Seems pretty relaxed just sniffin' around, those are the best!

take care
Old 02-07-2011, 03:01   #47
badshot
Guerrilla Chief

Here's my lame attempt

I haven't contributed any pics lately (been lazy) but I grabbed this still from one of our security cams today of me dragging a coyote I tagged about 3/4 of mile from the cabin. She was too fluffy to pass up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coyote.JPG (8.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 02-07-2011, 03:53   #48
badshot
Guerrilla Chief

Slightly Better

1) Here's the lookout...almost clear
2) Dinner time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUNP0069.jpg (83.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg SUNP0077.jpg (88.9 KB, 140 views)
Old 02-07-2011, 09:39   #49
craigepo
Quiet Professional

I am getting to the point where I like messing with the game cameras as much as I like the hunting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 does.jpg (59.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 9 turks.jpg (104.9 KB, 139 views)

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 22:42   #50
badshot
Guerrilla Chief

Thumbs up

Hmmm, I like being close to them in person and the wet work. Though, you do sometimes see things on the cams that are difficult, if not unlikely, to see in person.

Looks like a Zoo over there craigepo...

Was finally able to get the wife to hear/see a deer calf talkin' to its mother this past year. Think the live experience is one she'll never forget.

ps. Would of gotten a close up of the coyote the other day but it was an angled head shot. nuff said
Old 02-21-2011, 11:14   #51
Bushranger
Asset

from today´s quick trail cam run:

Bushranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:56   #52
Bushranger
Asset

This is a photo of one duck hunter who and whose companions accidentally encircled wild boar, and it decided to break away:

... found it on Slovakian trail cam forum
Old 02-24-2011, 09:09   #53
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
This is a photo of one duck hunter who and whose companions accidentally encircled wild boar, and it decided to break away:

"Break away"? That looks more like a severe ass-chewing, to me.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16   #54
Bushranger
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
"Break away"? That looks more like a severe ass-chewing, to me.
It just run away, and when found hunter in it´s way, it threw him to the side like a toy, and kept running.

Last edited by Bushranger; 02-24-2011 at 09:23.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:20   #55
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
It just run away, and when found hunter in it´s way, it threw him to the side like a toy, and kept running.
I'm just saying that the hunter's ass was in the way. In other words, he was the one who was trying to "break away", according to the evidence. You don't need Callie Dusquesne to figure that one out.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:24   #56
Bushranger
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I'm just saying that the hunter's ass was in the way. In other words, he was the one who was trying to "break away", according to the evidence. You don't need Callie Dusquesne to figure that one out.
The hunter was fast enough only to turn around, so the boar tore his ass instead of stomach. Who the hell is Callie Dusquesne.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:25   #57
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:

Just looking at that makes my ass hurt.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:28   #58
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
The hunter was fast enough only to turn around, so the boar tore his ass instead of stomach. Who the hell is Callie Dusquesne.
Glenn Beck fan? 'Cause you must be boycotting GOOGLE.

CSI Miami. I watch everyday for the Horatio Cain "buttondowns".
Old 03-07-2011, 10:19   #59
Bushranger
Asset

my new Ltl Acorn, nice details:
Old 03-16-2011, 06:30   #60
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...5&viewall=true

Wired just publish a series of game pictures and videos collected from around the World. There is one video of a ridge in China that looks like it was shot in a zoo. It's got one of each..

Quote:
Catching images of wild animals, especially rare ones, can be exceedingly difficult for photographers. But the Smithsonian Institution recently released more than 200,000 wildlife images captured by automated cameras hidden in forests, mountains and savannas across the globe.

Called Smithsonian Wild, the project harbors five years’ worth of photographs collected in seven countries by dozens of camera traps that take photos when animals wander nearby. Some are equipped with night vision, strobe flashes and other gizmos, and some can record video.

“Each camera-trap image is a record of an animal in space and time, a record of life on Earth. To my knowledge, this is the largest database of such photos in existence,” said the Smithsonian’s Robert Costello, co-leader of the project. “If you create a research-grade repository that’s safe and secure, it’s going to be useful to researchers for a long, long time.”

The scent of one person can spook shy creatures for miles around, which is when camera traps come in handy. The devices take pictures only when an animal’s heat signature is detected by sensors inside a weatherproof housing. Hunters have popularized camera traps to better track and map game, but scientists use them to observe secretive animal behaviors, estimate at-risk wildlife populations and even rediscover species once thought to be extinct.

“Many animals leave virtually no sign of their existence, so camera traps are just a godsend for people like me,” said wildlife ecologist William McShea of the Smithsonian Institution, co-leader of the project. “It’s much better than looking at a handful of feces and wondering what dropped it. These images are like museum-quality specimens with collection dates, locations, species names and other veracious metadata.”

The $29,000 pilot project used only a portion of more than a million camera-trap photos available to the Smithsonian. Costello, McShea and others hope to launch a new version that incorporates older camera-trap images and has features hat will make it easier for scientists to use and upload data. The team also wants to enlist the public’s help in deploying camera traps, which cost anywhere between $200 and $600 each.

“These cameras aren’t rocket science. I can train anyone to use them in under two hours, even kids,” McShea said. “I’d love to have school systems deploying these in Montana, Indiana and other regions, then uploading that stuff to our database.”

Aside from bolstering future research, McShea said the database is an engrossing way to learn about animals in their natural environments.

“Pictures of wild animals are usually very majestic, showing them regally, off in the distance. But camera traps bring out the good, the bad and the ugly,” he said. “You can see them scratching their privates, being bit by vampire bats and even mating. It’s not what you’d expect, and it makes their existence more real to me.”

The gallery above shows off some of the collection’s best images and videos.

Images: Smithsonian Wild/Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...-trap-gallery/

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote