Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 08-14-2010, 19:14   #31
Marbou
Asset

I do a Ruck, Swim, Run. I Ruck 3's and 6's. Swim 500m and run 3miles and 5miles. I perform one event per day. I do them in the morning and powerlift in the afternoon. I do Crossfit WODs on the other days I'm not Rucking, Running, or Swimming. "Running Murph" being one of my favorite. Every other 3day cycle I time the events to track my progress. What do you think about that?
Marbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:16   #32
youknow
Asset

I didnt want to start a new thread for this so here we go

For those of you that soak your feet with alcohol, do you just store the alcohol in a tupperware or something of that nature and reuse it? How long do you let them soak for? I walk barefoot but only so many places make contact with the ground
youknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:53   #33
wet dog

Don't soak your feet in alcohol, maybe a rubdown for deep muscle therapy, but no soaking. Alcohol will dry the skin, split, and cause for infections to penetrate. You toughen the feet by wearing boots under heavy loads for long distances, Period.

After a ruckmarch, you will inspect your feet for rubbing areas, trim the nails, wash, lotion, change your socks. Be disciplined.

Only after time will your feet resemble leather. In SA I wore jungle boots without socks so my feet dried quicker. Not all can do this, but I was lucky. My feet looked liked callused hands and hard as iron, they looked "native", but then again I wasn't sharing a bed with a GF who excepted my hands and feet be soft and gentle.

Stick to "Getting Selected", listen to Warrior Mentor, he's smoother in his approach to training, I, on the other will hit on your helmet with a weapons cleaning rod each time you pass me, while you run large circles in the gravel parking lot barefoot.

WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknow View Post

For those of you that soak your feet with alcohol, do you just store the alcohol in a tupperware or something of that nature and reuse it? How long do you let them soak for? I walk barefoot but only so many places make contact with the ground
Old 09-01-2010, 10:22   #34
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

You will not be required to negotiate any of the graded events at SFAS barefoot.

I would follow the instructions provided for prep.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:46   #35
youknow
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
Don't soak your feet in alcohol, maybe a rubdown for deep muscle therapy, but no soaking. Alcohol will dry the skin, split, and cause for infections to penetrate. You toughen the feet by wearing boots under heavy loads for long distances, Period.

After a ruckmarch, you will inspect your feet for rubbing areas, trim the nails, wash, lotion, change your socks. Be disciplined.

Only after time will your feet resemble leather. In SA I wore jungle boots without socks so my feet dried quicker. Not all can do this, but I was lucky. My feet looked liked callused hands and hard as iron, they looked "native", but then again I wasn't sharing a bed with a GF who excepted my hands and feet be soft and gentle.

Stick to "Getting Selected", listen to Warrior Mentor, he's smoother in his approach to training, I, on the other will hit on your helmet with a weapons cleaning rod each time you pass me, while you run large circles in the gravel parking lot barefoot.

WD

Walking barefoot on asphalt was recommended to me to supplement the feet toughening process. And as for the the alcohol, it is talked about in the book "Get Selected" briefly and not in much detail as another supplement to toughen feet.

I appreciate everyone's advice
youknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 14:00   #36
tetra
SF Candidate

Quote:
...for the the alcohol, it is talked about in the book "Get Selected" briefly and not in much detail as another supplement to toughen feet.
From what I understood from "Get Selected", I put a little bit of alcohol on a cotton ball and rub it all around both feet up to and including around my ankles and since I have the luxury of time, I let them air dry. I only do it after running and rucking along with some of the other post ruck foot care talked about in the chapter on feet.

Any QP's advice/criticisms about that?
tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 14:09   #37
koz
Quiet Professional

Big difference in SOAKING your feet and rubbing them down with a cotton ball and alcohol.

I did the boots with no socks routine.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 14:25   #38
RockSolid
SF Candidate

Broadcasting Live From Burpee Hell

Currently I'm training via crossfit and also strength training and doing cardio at the gym. I'm building a good foundation, to being able to follow Get Selected / NSCA Tactical Athlete Program workout routines without injury.

Cardio: Currently I'm interval training with sprints at goal pace and retesting mile and 2 mile runs, to track progress weekly.

Strength Training: Im focused on muscular endurance (i.e high reps low rest) as I currently have a good platform of strength to do majority of things outlined in books I've read, but absolutely nowhere near the muscular endurance to do so.

Mental: Reading a ton, Ive got Get Selected, Chosen Soldier, In the Company of Heroes, Little Black Book Of Violence, U.S. Army Map Reading & Land Nav and will soon be tackling some of the suggested reading in Get Selected.

One a side note: One utility I've found to be helpful is the NSCA's Tactical Athlete training program. Use your google force to find it, otherwise I can assist you in obtaining a copy. I would value a BTDT program over this one any day but it does have pretty pictures for my simplistic 18X brethren j/j. On serious note I was a member of the NSCA and can attest to the big brains over there when it comes to the human body and structuring strength training programs for specific athletic endeavours and the pictures and write ups of the exercises therein are extremely helpful.

Ill be starting the NSCA program next week and if you care to PM and ill let you know how its going and be able to give mroe details about it.

- Rock
RockSolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 16:12   #39
Foot Drill
Asset

Ruckin'

x

Last edited by Foot Drill; 01-28-2011 at 11:35.
Foot Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:16   #40
Sapper124
SF Candidate

opinions on conditioning sweat glands as well

Has anyone else been trying this method? It stood out when I was reading Get Selected as well. Before i start spraying down I was curious if anyone else has done this and how its working for them. I am by no means trying to question or contradict the advice in the book, just curious as to whether or not its a good idea in the long run to try and condition the sweat glands of the feet to stop working or should we just swap socks, powder up and CM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Drill View Post
One concern that I’ve tried to address is foot sweat. I’ve gone through almost two cans of Arrid XX and I haven’t notice any change in foot perspiration. After these rucks my feet are soaked, and so are my boots. I need to get this figured out.

Last edited by Sapper124; 09-02-2010 at 08:25.
Sapper124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:46   #41
DWALT2510
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper124 View Post
Has anyone else been trying this method? It stood out when I was reading Get Selected as well. Before i start spraying down I was curious if anyone else has done this and how its working for them. I am by no means trying to question or contradict the advice in the book, just curious as to whether or not its a good idea in the long run to try and condition the sweat glands of the feet to stop working or should we just swap socks, powder up and CM?
The book suggested trying to do it the night previous to your ruck, if I remember correctly (I don't have the book to reference at this time). And also, I thought the Arrid XX was just the tip of the iceberg. I believe it said to do that first, followed by powder, and the other steps as well. There were a number of factors, that hand-in-hand, were supposed to provide a solid solution. But like I said, the book's not right here next to me to reference at the moment, so I can't quote or give page numbers.

I'll be a notified officer candidate by tomorrow if all goes according to plan (USAREC board finishes up today), so I have absolutely no rush like some of you 18X folks do in trying to prep. I probably won't even go to BCT until Februrary or later. But I am going to do the "Get Selected" 30 day workout for kicks as soon as I get USAREC's decision on OCS. As the LTC mentioned in a previous post, it's all about what works for you. At absolute worst, the workout plan is a great opportunity to get your feet wet, and build a solid base to expand on. It will certainly be hard to fit in with my daily schedule, but it's nothing I can't manage. A little less sleep won't kill me.

I don't like crossfit purely because everything's timed. I've watched guys in the gym speeding through workouts, with awful form, doing more damage than good to their body. Not always the case, but I see it ALOT. IMO, if you're going to lift weights, make sure you have proper form and some muscle memory going on before you start throwing plates around. It's a great way to hurt yourself and further delay progress.
DWALT2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:51   #42
Sapper124
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWALT2510 View Post
I don't like crossfit purely because everything's timed. I've watched guys in the gym speeding through workouts, with awful form, doing more damage than good to their body. Not always the case, but I see it ALOT. IMO, if you're going to lift weights, make sure you have proper form and some muscle memory going on before you start throwing plates around. It's a great way to hurt yourself and further delay progress.
Simple solution: dont do what the others do, follow form yourself Youll see that in every workout mod. Half squats dont impress anyone, all the way down on push ups, break the plane and all that has been said before. Thats why at a good CF Affiliate the first few weeks of training you dont touch the Rx'd weight, you work with bare bars (if that; usually its PVC pipe) and light KBs, form is crucial as youve said but just because someone else is cheating themselves doesnt mean you should turn a cold shoulder, get out there and show them the proper form!!!

Sets for time and WODs are there to push you. Youll soon learn that 99% of all Army physical training is done to a set training time or standard.

Last edited by Sapper124; 09-03-2010 at 23:15.
Sapper124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 14:42   #43
DWALT2510
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper124 View Post
Simple solution: dont do what the others do, follow form yourself Youll see that in every workout mod. Half squats dont impress anyone, all the way down on push ups, break the plane and all that has been said before. Thats why at a good CF Affiliate the first few weeks of training you dont touch the Rx'd weight, you work with bare bars (if that; usually its PVC pipe) and light KBs, form is crucial as youve said but just because someone else is cheating themselves doesnt mean you should turn a cold shoulder, get out there and show them the proper form!!!

Sets for time and WODs are there to push you. Youll soon learn that 99% of all Army physically training is done to a set training time or standard.
Concur 110%. Don't get me wrong, I have my certain WOD's I love and throw into my routine relatively often. There is a benefit to doing crossfit, and I think it's pretty impressive how well it helps with not only strength, but run times. And of course I don't turn a cold shoulder...I go to a small gym so we all know each other. For the most part everyone is thick-skin, tough-love, hard-workers. A fair amount are younger than I however, and their primary objective is to throw up heavy weight to impress the maybe one teenage girl that walks by while they're there. OKAY, guilty, I used to do it on occasion too when I was younger I was just lucky as a high school athlete to be trained by an ex-olympic power lifter. So form for me was always priority one when he was around. And it's something I never forgot.

By the way, any of you folks used the "five fingers" shoes at the gym? My cousin's fiance, a USMC Co CDR, is raving about them. He uses them during his crossfit workouts and now swears by them. He also advised not to run in them unless you naturally land on the ball of your foot. Apparently they're not well suited for a heel-to-toe runner.

Another workout I'll do occasionally is a conglomeration of the 100 pushups, 200 situps, 200 squats workouts. I'll also throw in my very own "20 pullups" rendition of the workout. I turn it into an endurance workout by not breaking between sets, Run through all the set 1's, straight through set 2's, etc. It'll get ya. It's pretty good.
DWALT2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 18:59   #44
Foot Drill
Asset

x

Last edited by Foot Drill; 02-28-2011 at 22:17.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:15   #45
Foot Drill
Asset

x

Last edited by Foot Drill; 02-28-2011 at 22:18.