Old 07-30-2004, 19:10   #46
brownapple

Quote:
Originally posted by TerribleTobyt
Hey Al-

How ya been???????

Toby
1-2, RT California
Doing good. Keeping busy with work and my little girl.
Old 07-30-2004, 19:11   #47
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Totally agreed Air. In reality, all of the teams in my day were STs (heavy). If an RT was preferred the team was split. In two years things probably changed. Our HF's were exploitation forces. The team would (for existance) find and observe an ambush site. They would then call for the HF and lead them to the target. Mr Charles could have taught out present day troops something about convoy movement. They tended to separate the trucks by 50+ meters and an RT could be lucky to kill more than one vehicle. It was more a matter of harrassment.

For the most part our missions were assigned almost on a "duty roster" basis. Unlike what Plaster says, we tried to get one day stand down for each day on the ground. If you were out one day you may as well not bother to unpack. Some missions were planned and others like the one I mentioned above were "spur of the moment". The mission I mentioned above was definitely spur-of-the-moment. The 4th ID had a convoy ambushed and thought they knew where the NVA CP was located. This was sunday morning. They grabbed me on the way to the club for brunch. All I could muster was my 11 and three Yards. As it turned out that was probably life saving. We accomplished the mission but it was a toss of the coin of who located whom..

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 16:09   #48
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Pappy Webb, sheen guns and mission length.

The conversations of yesterday reminded me of Clarence "Pappy" Webb. CRS team name but Pappy was the 1-0. The team consisted of Nungs who were totally loyal to him. Pappy carried an M-60. Our missions were planned for five days. Pappy used to say that he was too old for that and on about the third day would start walking trails looking for trouble. He usually found it.

Pappy's Nungs and most USSF loved him but he also wore out and scared the shit out of several U.S.

He turned down a promotion to MSG saying they just wanted to promote him so they could bust him again.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 22:56   #49
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Toby:

Welcome aboard, glad to see you here:

Terry
Old 08-01-2004, 06:48   #50
Sigi
BANNED USER

RL - Thank you for starting this thread.

Gentlemen - thank you so much for everything you have done. I am reading Plaster 1st book (SOG) now and am learning as much as I can about the RT's and SOG. I simply cannot fathom the odds that the men of Special Forces went up against. You are truly amazing men.

Thank you for your service.

Last edited by Sigi; 08-01-2004 at 06:53.
Sigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 17:49   #51
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by CPTAUSRET
Toby:

Welcome aboard, glad to see you here:

Terry
Terry-

Thanx, great to be here.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California

Joe Walker, 1-0, RT California
TerribleTobyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 18:12   #52
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Air.177
I know this!!

Both were "Heavy" teams with 3 Americans and 9 Indig. Both carried a B-40 rocket launcher, a mortar, and at least one belt fed gun.

Also, I have heard talk that the One Zeros on both teams were considered to be Crazy by many folks, even in the Recon community.
Good going, Air.177.

During my time with RT California, we generally had 4 US and 10 yards.

We carried, at various times, CAR-15s, 2 ea XM-148s (the pre-curser to the M-203), 2 RPG-2s (I carried one, and 1 other yard carried one), and either an RPD, sawed-off, or an M-60. And, of course, the 60mm Mini Mortar.

Terry mentions intell gathering, heavy team vs light team. To a certain degree, he is correct. Let me assure you folks,though, there were very few 1-0s more diligent in gathering intel than Joe Walker. We brought mounds of intel. And if we happened into a fire fight, our very first move was to ATTACK, form a skirmish line, and go toe to toe with the god-less horde.

AND WE KICKED SOME SERIOUS BUTT!!!!!!!!

John Plaster is correct in his assessment that the RT took on the personna. We did, but we had to buy into Joe's way of doing things. The force of his personality was but one factor. But we drilled for hours on IA Drills until we not only knew our own responsibility, but the responsibilities of everyone else.

Martin may want to jump in here to discuss Ed Wolcoff's use of "The Diamond" formation for RT New York.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California

Old 08-04-2004, 08:32   #53
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by lurch
I served with MACVSOG at CCN August 1970-August 1971

Recon Teams Python - Klaus Bingham 10 and Virginia - Keith Messinger 10. Then worked for "No Toes Dover" at the Phu Bai launch site. Lots of stories but don't know what sort you want to hear.
Gents-

I have to admit I was taken aback when I saw your user name.

"lurch" was the code name for David I Mixter, 1-1 RT Colorado. He was SOGs last KIA in Laos, Jan 71.

A good MoFo.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California

Old 08-07-2004, 20:38   #54
lurch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by TerribleTobyt
Gents-

I have to admit I was taken aback when I saw your user name.

"lurch" was the code name for David I Mixter, 1-1 RT Colorado. He was SOGs last KIA in Laos, Jan 71.

A good MoFo.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California
Actual "Lurch" was a name that one of the guys in Recon (John "Hammy" Houser) code name Spearchucker called me. I think my code name was "huckleberry hounddog" or something I really don't remember. I've been called a lot of things "lurch" was just one of them. Hope the use here is OK. I didn't mean to cross over into a fellow soggers code name or cause a problem.

mike
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 17:29   #55
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by lurch
Actual "Lurch" was a name that one of the guys in Recon (John "Hammy" Houser) code name Spearchucker called me. I think my code name was "huckleberry hounddog" or something I really don't remember. I've been called a lot of things "lurch" was just one of them. Hope the use here is OK. I didn't mean to cross over into a fellow soggers code name or cause a problem.

mike
No prob with me, Bro.

Jes struck me kinda funny. Not funny, haha, jes - ya know, jes funny.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT California

Old 12-23-2004, 18:49   #56
Martinez
The Team Sergeants Little Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTobyt
Toby Todd here. Ran on RT California with Joe Walker, 1-0, the same time Martin was doing his RT New York thingy.

I have all of John Plaster's books about SOG. IMHO, no one has done a better job of telling OUR story.

Martin, c'ya at SOAR, I hope.

Later.

Toby
1-2, RT CAlifornia

Hey Toby, how the heck are ya? Speaking of Joe Walker, what's he up to these days?

Jennifer Martinez sends
Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 19:21   #57
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

JEN!!

Great to see you again!

Merry Christmas, little Sis!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 19:28   #58
Martinez
The Team Sergeants Little Sister

Thanks Sir!

Merry Christmas and Happy Hand Grenades to you and yours! How ya been?

Jennifer sends
Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 19:35   #59
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinez
Thanks Sir!

Merry Christmas and Happy Hand Grenades to you and yours! How ya been?

Jennifer sends
Great, thanks!

Hope that the new year brings you enough time to visit here more often.

Be safe, take care.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 18:59   #60
C/S PHOENIX 10
Quiet Professional

Special Thanks

I just want to extend a special thanks to the men of the original ST and RT. As some of you may know my detachment brought back the old RT concept along the Afghan/Pakistan border region(on the Afgan side). As one may guess it was a hard sell to the higher-up's, but it was supported and had great results. We did nothing fancy just stuck the the basic, but it allow a single detachment and a handfull of Indig to disrupt many miles of border and take the fight back to the enemy. Again just want to say thank you and times may change, but somethings just work. Hat off to you all......
C/S PHOENIX 10 is offline   Reply With Quote