Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 04-04-2007, 15:53   #1
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

American Taliban seeks reduced sentence

By PAUL ELIAS, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 1 minute ago

SAN FRANCISCO - The lawyer and parents of American-born Taliban soldier John Walker Lindh asked President Bush on Wednesday to commute his 20-year prison term, citing the case of an Australian man who was sentenced to less than a year for aiding terrorism.

Lindh, 26, was captured in Afghanistan in November 2001 by American forces sent to topple the Taliban after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. He was charged with conspiring to kill Americans and support terrorists but pleaded guilty to lesser offenses, including carrying weapons against U.S. forces.

Lindh's lawyer and father said the lighter sentence given to Australian David Hicks should be reflected in Lindh's case.

"It is a question of proportionality. It is a question of fairness, and it is a question of the religious experience John Walker Lindh had," attorney James Brosnahan said. "And it was not in any way directed at the United States."

Lindh converted to Islam and went to Afghanistan to fight for the Taliban against the Northern Alliance, which received U.S. backing.

On Saturday, Hicks pleaded guilty to supporting terrorism and acknowledged aiding al-Qaida during the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan. He was sentenced to nine months in prison. After spending five years at the U.S. naval base in Cuba, the 31-year-old former kangaroo skinner is likely to be transferred to a prison in Australia within weeks.

Brosnahan brokered Lindh's plea deal and said it was the best he could do in the political climate immediately after the 2001 attacks.

"In the atmosphere of the time, the best John could get was a plea bargain and a 20-year sentence," said Lindh's father, Frank Lindh. "We love our son very much. He was wrongly accused when he was found in Afghanistan."

The White House referred telephone calls to the Justice Department, which declined to comment because it had not received Lindh's petition.

"Wrongly accused when he was found in Afghanistan" Yeah, my ass!
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 16:50   #2
echoes
Area Commander

Bush had better release the two border guards sent to prison recently...this guy's family may have monetary influence, but right is right. my .02

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 16:58   #3
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon65
He was wrongly accused when he was found in Afghanistan."
Incomplete sentence.

....found in Afghanistan, where he took up with the Taliban in fighting Americans. He was part of a prison uprising which began November 25 in northern Afghanistan. During that uprising, CIA operative Mike Spann was killed.

There.

Commute his sentence? I don't think so.
Old 04-04-2007, 17:32   #4
Sionnach
Guerrilla

This attitude of "my kid can do no wrong" is the root cause of JWL's problem.

I can appreciate a father fighting for his kid, but don't make excuses for conduct that is inexcusable. Your son earned his sentence. Mr. Hicks was not an American, JWL is. Australia was not attacked on September 11, 2001, the US was. JWL is a traitor, and deserves a firing squad. I will always hold my countrymen to higher standards than I hold "foreigners" to. If you're from south of the Mason-Dixon line or (ex)military, I'll hold you to even higher standards.
Sionnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 17:54   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon65
He was wrongly accused when he was found in Afghanistan."
And he was wrongfully parented previously here in the US.

Maybe they should share his cell?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 18:06   #6
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
And he was wrongfully parented previously here in the US.

Maybe they should share his cell?

TR

ABSOLUTELY!

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 18:23   #7
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

Lindh is nothing more than a skid mark in historys underwear. He is lucky to be alive....."F" him and his lawyer.
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 20:09   #8
Beach Bum
Guerrilla

And just what does he think his son will do outside of prison? Be a contributing member of society? No matter where he is (prison or home) I'm sure we, the tax payers, will be supporting him. 7-11 may be hiring, but I doubt they cover medical, dental, and retirement. At least if he is incarcerated he will not be able to reproduce!
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 21:26   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum
And just what does he think his son will do outside of prison? Be a contributing member of society? No matter where he is (prison or home) I'm sure we, the tax payers, will be supporting him. 7-11 may be hiring, but I doubt they cover medical, dental, and retirement. At least if he is incarcerated he will not be able to reproduce!
I think that with real justice he would be forced to be an indentured servant to the family of Mike Spann for the remainder of his days. He could slop bedpans at the VA one day per week for a change of pace. Or he could have his head sawed off by the former comrade of his choice.

Unfortunately, if released, he will likely go on the lecture circuit to wild acclaim, followed by a book and movie deal, winding up with either a tenured job at a famed institution of higher learning or a career in politics.

BB, I think that you are correct. There is no pregnancy possible with his current reproductive partners. And that is just fine by me. For the next 20 years.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 16:25   #10
Pete
Quiet Professional

It's 2019 and look what we have here

Senators ask Trump administration why the ‘American Taliban’ is getting out of prison early

https://www.rollcall.com/news/senato...g-prison-early

"A bipartisan team of senators is asking the Trump administration why the convicted terrorist who became known as the “American Taliban” is about to get early release from federal prison.

And the questions are coming in part from the chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee....."

Just listen to these dip-shits. They want to know why he's getting out early.

Hey dip-shits, he's getting out early because the prison system is following the law. Instead of getting your too tight panties in a wad how about sitting down and passing a new law that will pass muster at the SC.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 13:39   #11
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Senators ask Trump administration why the ‘American Taliban’ is getting out of prison early

https://www.rollcall.com/news/senato...g-prison-early

"A bipartisan team of senators is asking the Trump administration why the convicted terrorist who became known as the “American Taliban” is about to get early release from federal prison.

And the questions are coming in part from the chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee....."

Just listen to these dip-shits. They want to know why he's getting out early.

Hey dip-shits, he's getting out early because the prison system is following the law. Instead of getting your too tight panties in a wad how about sitting down and passing a new law that will pass muster at the SC.
If they were worried about him seeing freedom someday then he should have been given a longer sentence. All these Pos's will eventually be released. His time in prison went far too fast.
Old 05-22-2019, 19:59   #12
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Simple solution: Adjust his sentence to last as long as the war does. Problem solved.
Old 05-22-2019, 20:47   #13
Box
Quiet Professional

that shit stick didnt really need a longer sentence - his sentence was too long to begin with

what was needed was a short length of rope and a good knot
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:48   #14
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Too bad the guys who found him on site didn't utilize western ranchers' 3 S's for dealing with nuisance critters: Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up.

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 05-23-2019 at 08:50.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:11   #15
mojaveman
Area Commander

Is he now going to make a few million by selling his story to someone?
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote