Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 07-26-2006, 04:43   #16
POO
SF Candidate

TR,
Thanks for posting this info and your insight. I have been looking for a good ruck, and now I know where to get one. Looking to go with the ZXR w/XTL, or spend the extra eight bucks and get the MMR. Eight bucks for an additional 400ci isn't bad IMO. Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:02   #17
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
I had no idea that we had issued a front loading pack. The Lowe I had was a top-loader. The Kifaru, in my limited experience, has none of those issues and allows you to reposition the weight onto whatever part of your body you want it on. For me, it is usually the hips. The ruck is very easy on your back.

I have not rigged this to jump, but it looks pretty straightforward to me, MFF or static line.TR
You are correct - the Lowe Vector was a top loader, with the lower compartment 'accessible' with the around the middle zipper. and the 'lid' was removable as an assault/E&E pack. They were tough to load, tough to get at gear, hard on the back, and too big(long) for a short guy like me (5'8") - especially for jumping (almost had to rig a line to the lower part of the harness to lift it off the ground to get to the AC). A good number of outside pockets allowed you to get at the stuff you needed pretty often, but yu really had to plan your load - especially as a medic. And it never sat where you wanted it.

I always wondered why they didn't just redesign the frame for the Alice to make it a little more ergonomic/comfortable - it is a well designed ruck, but the frame sucks. Still have mine, sad isn't it?

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 15:22   #18
Para
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAC
TR,
Thanks for posting this info and your insight. I have been looking for a good ruck, and now I know where to get one. Looking to go with the ZXR w/XTL, or spend the extra eight bucks and get the MMR. Eight bucks for an additional 400ci isn't bad IMO. Thanks again.
I ran into this when I first started looking at them thinking the same thing. Although, comparing apples to apples, the ZXR is 3800ci and the XTL adds 600ci for 4400ci total. So it is actually $8 more for 200ci less.
We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land, and air with all our might and all our strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, What is our aim? I answer in one word: Victory Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Winston Churchill
Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 15:32   #19
Mel
Asset

Hey guys, I'm pleased to hear that your Kifaru packs are working out for you. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about our gear. Just for info, our new ZXR is the closest in size to a large ALICE ruck. We get asked that question quite often by guys when trying to decide what ruck to buy. It seems most guys are familiar with the large ALICE, and will use that as a size reference.

If any of you guys are out here on the West coast, I'd like to invite you to the Kifaru Beach Demo & BBQ that I will be hosting on the weekend of Sep 30/Oct 1. It will be on the central coast near Santa Cruz/Monterey. This will be a chance for you to see and handle ALL the Kifaru gear in person. Also, we will be unvieling our new sleeping bags for the first time at the demo. Here's a link from a thread on our message board with all the info:

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimat...c;f=1;t=001512

I hope some of you can make it, and look forward to meeting you.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 16:35   #20
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Great offer Mel, thanks. Wish I could be there. Kifaru throws one hell of a good party.

Appreciate the info, too.

Guys if you have any questions about the Kifarus, Mel is the expert.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 19:39   #21
Cincinnatus
Guerrilla

TR,

Re: the Navigator vs. Marauder differences and applications. My thinking was pretty much the same as you outlined.

There is a fairly active SAR team just across the river, and if I ever get my health issues straightened out, I've thought about joining them. For that type of work, the Marauder is probably a bit on the small side (even adding some pockets.) As it is, I suppose I'll use the Gregory. Or maybe use joining the team as an excuse to get the Navigator, cuz I could use the chair to bring out injured hikers... Yeah, that's the ticket.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 14:02   #22
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para
...I will post pictures for you in the next few days.
Para:

I know you are busy, but was wondering if you could give us a review of the ZXR: your likes, dislikes, and how its holding up.

Thanks,

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:13   #23
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

ZXR review

Well, having just spent 22 days under a Kifaru ZXR on combat patrols and recon missions in the jungles of *** I can tell you that I wouldnt take it back for a second go round if I had an ALICE pack as an option.

While the ruck is as comfortable to wear as one can hope for bearing 90 lbs of light weight gear it isnt as great a ruck for this environment as for rucking on flat open terrain. I found the small size of the top opening quite annoying when looking for something and would have liked to see that opening maybe another 5 or so inches in diameter. The bottom opening seemed to be a better size. The pack wore well over my Eagle Riverine LBE but use of the waist/hip belt is mandatory if moving more than 50 meters. Use of the belt would be near impossible if utilizing a vest or other LBE which hangs low (infact I had to raise mine to use the belt). I tried using it sans belt but due to the tendency of the back to round when the cinch straps are used; the shape of the back padding; and the lumber pad, it beat me to death (listing side to side) while trying to maneuver thru the thick foliage and vegetation found here.

It also takes a considerable amount of time to don and adjust before moving out. I found this to be a problem when moving out from a halt (The Indig dont wait for you to get your shit on and adjusted before they start moving out, and they will leave you.) The slide locks for the shoulder straps seem to work themselves loose during movement which required constant adjustments to the shoulder straps, lift offs, and sternum strap; this become more than annoying after a short amount of time. I also found the ruck too tall, for me atleast, to use in this environment due to the number of wait-a-minute vines and low hanging trees; my XTL caught on everything it seems. The side slot pockets were useful for holding my hydration bladders until I bumped into a black palm and pierced one of them on the thorns then I started carrying the other one inside the main compartment.

All that being said, the ability to go "slick" was a benefit as I didnt have side pockets catching on things like the guys carrying ALICE's. The XTL was great for get to quickly items and again the pack was pretty comfortable given the 90 lbs of light weight gear I had.

And the worst part about the whole thing... the inability, due to how low it extends past the lumbar pad and lack of a large diameter bottom, to do a rucksack flop and remain in a reclined position... lol

Now if we could get Mel to make a frame for the ALICE we might be in business... The search for the perfect ruck continues.

Crip

Old 03-15-2008, 18:28   #24
eva05

Thumbs up for the Marauder

I've had a Marauder for a little less than a year. I've used it for some hiking and international travel. The pack is versatile and bomb proof. I like the modularity of the Molle webbing. I can quickly convert my pack to have pouches (interior and exterior) for a travel(insert bags with medical, toiletries, etc), work(organizers) or hiking(drink pouches) in minutes. That makes me very happy

I've also been very happy with all my interactions with Kifaru's customer service. They were prompt, helpful and generally great people. I love to see a small American business doing some great work at a high quality.

I almost wish they made jackets and clothing too, but I guess that stuff falls on TAD Gear, Massif and Beyond Fleece :-D

On a side note, I got to try the X-ray and...while I've had my Arcteryx Wire day pack for about 10 years with no complaints. When it comes time to replace it, it will be with a Kifaru X-Ray.

j
Old 03-15-2008, 22:35   #25
Mel
Asset

Hey Crip, thanks for your review on the ZXR performance in the jungle. This is the first real feedback I've gotten from anyone that's been on jungle ops with our packs. Your points are well taken, and in fact, what I expected from that type of use. I will say here that there are absolutely no rucks from anyone out there at this time that can beat an ALICE pack in the jungle, and that includes Kifaru. I've always wanted to build a dedicated jungle ruck, and have many design ideas on file, but we have been putting our R&D into gear more suited to the sandbox. From what I hear, we will start seeing more green side ops in the future, so maybe it's finally time for us to develop a ruck that will work well in those conditions. I think we can come up with a ruck for jungle use, that will out perform the old ALICE in comfort, bag design, features, and materials.

I have taken into consideration all of your notes on the ZXR's performance in the jungle, and will add these to my file, which will continue to grow as this project moves forward. Crip, I will PM you soon to pick your brain some more about this subject. I can give you guys one tip about buckle slippage, and how to prevent it. Check out this thread from our message board, and scroll on down to the photos showing how to install a cam lock buckle on top of the shoulder strap buckles. It's simple, and absolutely prevents any buckle slippage. Here ya go:

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubbthreads....age=56&fpart=1

If this link wouldn't come up, then just type it in as shown.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 23:14   #26
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Mel:

Glad to see you stopped by. I had planned on giving you a call in reference to the ZXR but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have attempted to use the camlocks in the past but due to the layout of my kit, getting to the buckles themselves to secure the camlocks is near impossible for me to do alone. As you can imagine there isn't always someone else there to help me into my ruck. Also there comes the issue of getting out of it in the event I am needing to dump it in a hurry.

I have more notes on its performance and the things I would change about its design for use in this environment. I will put it together for you and shoot you a PM or an E-mail hopefully you can use them.

Crip