Old 06-16-2017, 17:58   #1
MH60
Asset

Languages?

I'm currently in the qualification course and would like to get some clarification on what languages Soldiers in 5th Special Forces group have.
MH60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 20:37   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Honestly that's not something you need to worry about. Assuming you haven't gotten far enough along to be assigned a language, it'll be whichever one we tell you you're getting. Primarily Arabic (if you have the aptitude). No - I'm not fucking with you. You don't get to pick your language. I know these things because the guys that figure out the language assignments work with me. They tell SWCS what the Regiment needs and SWCS produces it.

And whichever language you wind up with - do your best. It would really suck to deliberately flunk out of Arabic thinking they'll just recycle you into French and suddenly find yourself dropped with a NTR for a LOM and reassigned for the needs of the Army. LOM is a character flaw we can't afford to tolerate (and the standards are pretty rigid at the moment).
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 17:36   #3
MH60
Asset

You are 100% right, thanks for the help.
MH60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 20:03   #4
Mack015x
Asset

At the risk of high-jacking your thread, I think the greater risk would be creating a redundant one.

I definitely understand the lack of choice on your language, but my question for anyone that knows, what if you already display a degree of proficiency? For example, someone testing in Arabic as a 2/2 on the DLPT and/or a 3 on the OPI. Is there still a chance SWC would assign them to 1st Group to study Korean? I've also heard a rumor that SWC Arabic students only take the OPI now and no longer the DLPT. I know the general advice given would be to wait until I get to that point, but depending on the answer, I want to shape my study habits sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

-Roger
Mack015x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 21:30   #5
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack015x View Post
At the risk of high-jacking your thread, I think the greater risk would be creating a redundant one.

I definitely understand the lack of choice on your language, but my question for anyone that knows, what if you already display a degree of proficiency? For example, someone testing in Arabic as a 2/2 on the DLPT and/or a 3 on the OPI. Is there still a chance SWC would assign them to 1st Group to study Korean? I've also heard a rumor that SWC Arabic students only take the OPI now and no longer the DLPT. I know the general advice given would be to wait until I get to that point, but depending on the answer, I want to shape my study habits sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

-Roger
See your statement above in bold lime. You are a long way (in some cases a career) away from worrying about language. Concentrate on the 3-meter target before the 5-meter target before you get dropped from worrying about the 1,000-meter target.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 21:31   #6
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Thanks,

-Roger
I saw this happen several times when I went through, particularly to Spanish speakers. But I also saw a guy with a 3/3 in Mandarin get Tagalog.... This could vary greatly year to year, but it happens.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 17:04   #7
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
my question for anyone that knows, what if you already display a degree of proficiency? For example, someone testing in Arabic as a 2/2 on the DLPT and/or a 3 on the OPI. Is there still a chance SWC would assign them to 1st Group to study Korean? I've also heard a rumor that SWC Arabic students only take the OPI now and no longer the DLPT. I know the general advice given would be to wait until I get to that point, but depending on the answer, I want to shape my study habits sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

-Roger
You can make a formal request to skip the language portion of the Q-course with a minimum of a 2/2 in one of the following languages.

Arabic MSA
Arabic/Egyptian Dialect
Arabic/Levantine
Chinese
French
Korean
Indonesian
Russian
Persian/Farsi
Spanish
Portuguese
Tagalog

Still not a sure thing that the request will be granted, It's all based on needs of the force (MOS). Also the listed Languages are current as of today that does not mean they will be the same months from now again needs of the Force.

"Me"

Last edited by 7624U; 03-01-2018 at 17:07.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:23   #8
Mack015x
Asset

I appreciate the input!
Mack015x is offline   Reply With Quote