Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 08-21-2014, 15:56   #16
JimP
Quiet Professional

Worst place for overeating was Chason's in Lumber Bridge, NC.

That place rocked!! Well, at least the Lumber Bridge location did. I used to ride my scooter out there all the time and eat till i couldn't stand it.

After it burned down....not so much. the newer place sucked.

Concur on berns however. Great - pricey...but great.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 17:00   #17
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Interstate BBQ outside of Memphis is owned by the Neely family. If you are ever in the lovely city of Gardena, California, relatives of the Neely family have a restaurant called, "JB's House of Fine Barbecue". It is right off the Harbor (110) Fwy at the Redondo Blvd off-ramp where San Pedro St merges into Avalon Blvd. Well worth the visit.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 17:53   #18
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

If you're ever in Decatur, AL or (as I just discovered recently) Monroe, NC, you have to try Big Bob Gibson's BBQ. I love their white sauce with smoked chicken. That combination is off the chain! Speaking of chicken, if you're ever in Memphis, you've gotta try Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken. They've been featured on the Travel Channel and made GQ's top 25 list a while back for being one of the best unknown places to eat, or something to that effect. As far as ribs go, I think Charles Vergos'Rendezvous is overrated, but the place is always packed and mostly with out of towners just looking to cut their teeth on the historic legend that is Memphis style BBQ. Personally, I prefer Neely's Interstate BBQ. It's in a sketchy part of town, but that pretty much includes all of Memphis. Arcade, at South Main and G.E. Patterson is a famous spot in Memphis. Aside from its cameo appearances in several movies and being used as a backdrop in SI's swimsuit issues, it's a great place to eat breakfast and recover from the many hangovers I've received from partying right across the street at Ernestine and Hazel's - where you're guaranteed plenty of terrible food, cold beer and hot women.

Guthries Chicken in Auburn, AL is some pretty good eatin', too. They definitely know how to pluck and serve up a bird. Moving along, through the South, we loved eating Southern Soul BBQ whenever we visited my family at St. Simon's Island, GA. Some of the best crawfish etouffee I've ever had was at Mother's Restaurant in the garden district of New Orleans. Most people congregate there for breakfast, and that's a great place to eat b'fast, but I loved their etouffee. While you're in the crescent city, if you get a chance to spend a little more time and money with your significant other then I recommend Bayona. It's a great atmosphere and chef Susan Spicer has done a fantastic job with her menu. Her sausage stuffed rabbit roulade and schnitzel w/toasted barley, braised carrot and apple-belgian ale sauce is out of this world.

Whenever we're in Key West, we love eating at El Siboney - a tiny Cuban restaurant that's simply amazing and the family that owns it are sincere, kind and welcoming. They even let my wife and I cook with them, after hours, and learn a few new things while we were there. Seven Fish is another place we enjoy eating. It's small so arrive early because space is definitely limited.

By the way, if anyone is ever in my AO feel free to hit me up. While I'm not from here, I've been here long enough to know where to unfold my napkin or ask for another round.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather

Last edited by DIYPatriot; 08-21-2014 at 17:57.
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 17:54   #19
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Interstate BBQ outside of Memphis is owned by the Neely family. If you are ever in the lovely city of Gardena, California, relatives of the Neely family have a restaurant called, "JB's House of Fine Barbecue". It is right off the Harbor (110) Fwy at the Redondo Blvd off-ramp where San Pedro St merges into Avalon Blvd. Well worth the visit.
I was editing my post when you entered yours - great call on Neely's! They're good people, too.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 18:45   #20
mark46th
Quiet Professional

PSM- Next time you order fries at In'n'Out, order "Wellies", they will make them extra crispy for you...
Old 08-21-2014, 19:01   #21
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
PSM- Next time you order fries at In'n'Out, order "Wellies", they will make them extra crispy for you...
Roger! Anthony Bourdain also said to get the burger "animal style". Is there a secret handshake, too. I only lived there 35 years and now I'm learning all the secrets.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 21:30   #22
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Animal Style is with everything, on the grill. I don't eat mustard on burgers so I don't order that item. Another not on the menu is the "4X4". 4 patties, 4 slices of cheese. If you want to be seen as an In'n'Out regular, order a 4X4, Animal style with Wellies Animal style (covered in cheese, dressing, pickles and grilled onions)...

Last edited by mark46th; 08-22-2014 at 07:29.
Old 08-22-2014, 15:39   #23
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Animal Style is with everything, on the grill. I don't eat mustard on burgers so I don't order that item. Another not on the menu is the "4X4". 4 patties, 4 slices of cheese. If you want to be seen as an In'n'Out regular, order a 4X4, Animal style with Wellies Animal style (covered in cheese, dressing, pickles and grilled onions)...
AND from IN & Out~ Order a Burger with everything, Vegetarian.

It is all of what you want flavor wise, without the Meat! Delicious from the Encinitas, CA In & Out. (IIRC) It has been a while.

As far as real Restaurant reviews...

If a QP ever finds himself in Oklahoma, go for some serious pizza at Joe Mamas in Downtown Tulsa. Incredible handmade crust and sauce, but the best part about the place is the site itself. It is located in an old historic building, has nice dim lights, and is perfect for a late, late night meal.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 20:10   #24
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Roger! Is there a secret handshake, too.

Pat

Shhhh.

Mmmm I loves me an In-N-Out burger, yes...animal style.
Old 08-22-2014, 20:55   #25
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
Shhhh.

Mmmm I loves me an In-N-Out burger, yes...animal style.
Well, I told my life-long LA resident, redheaded, wife about these In-N-Out posts. She'd never heard of this secret menu either. And...she kind of let her red hair, now grey, down! She called it elitism on par with the Sunset Strip clubs*, when she was young and still single, that only let in a select few while everyone else waited outside in the cold, damp, air. I have to cut this short because she is still ranting.

Pat

*For you younger folks, the Sunset Strip is a geographical location on Sunset Blvd., not where girls take off their clothes for money...usually.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 08-23-2014 at 00:28. Reason: Sunset, not Hollywood. How quick we forget. ;)
Old 08-22-2014, 21:51   #26
PSM
Area Commander

To rerail this thread (apologies, Divemaster): La Nueva Casita Cafe, Las Cruces, NM. I like the Tacos Estrellas (From their menu: A combination special seasoned pork and beef, served on 3 soft corn tortillas, guacamole, sour cream, and pico de gallo) with borracho beans. But, I like the corn tortillas to spend a few seconds in hot oil rather than soft. The refried beans are very good, too. They offer fideos as well, but I've never tried them.

I liked their borracho beans so much, that I started making them myself.

Pat

Last edited by PSM; 08-22-2014 at 21:56.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:29   #27
Remington Raidr
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Well, I told my life-long LA resident, redheaded, wife about these In-N-Out posts. She'd never heard of this secret menu either. And...she kind of let her red hair, now grey, down! She called it elitism on par with the Sunset Strip clubs*, when she was young and still single, that only let in a select few while everyone else waited outside in the cold, damp, air. I have to cut this short because she is still ranting.

Pat
You CAN'T let this go. You gotta DISCIPLINE her. Saddle UP!.
Remington Raidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:57   #28
mark46th
Quiet Professional

"You CAN'T let this go. You gotta DISCIPLINE her. Saddle UP!."

Hey! She's a Redhead! Stand off a safe distance until things die down!
Old 08-23-2014, 18:15   #29
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Hey! She's a Redhead! Stand off a safe distance until things die down!
Oh, after 32 years together, I know the drill.

Pat

Old 08-29-2014, 19:42   #30
mangler
Auxiliary

The Cowboy Dinner Tree just outside of Silver Lake, Oregon. Only open on the weekends, chicken or steak, no electricity so no credit cards or soda machines. You have to call to make reservations as they only cook for the folks coming to eat. It's out there a ways, but if you're ever headed through central Oregon it's well worth the stop even if you have to get a hotel room or stay in one of their cabins for the night.

http://www.cowboydinnertree.net

Camp 18, at milepost 18 on HWY26 on the way to Seaside, Oregon. Excellent food all the way around and large portions. Get your fill with whatever you want from the chicken fried steak to pan fried trout. Then get yourself a cinnamon roll to go for later in the day or the next morning.

http://www.camp18restaurant.com
mangler is offline   Reply With Quote