Old 02-06-2019, 02:12   #1
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Stick Position

I'm looking over my Dad's jump log and noting his stick positions. Is there a method to the assignment? Curious.

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:13   #2
Joker
Quiet Professional

Copy a page and redact any PII and highlight the areas in question then scan and post a page.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:18   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

Are you asking about a a tactical jump by the 82nd or an SF Team? Big difference.

Somebody from a 82nd S3 shop would have to explain the details but because of the length of the sticks they cross load sections/units on different A/C. So the first troops out of each A/C might be 1st Platoon.

On our team it was usually Team Leader, commo, medic, heavy guys to lightest guys and last was the Team Sergeant - who always got out - maybe on an amber light but never red.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:33   #4
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

In my day, for most of my jumps, the manifest is random....just names of people on the jump. Tactical missions you were placed in an order on the plane generally for mission purposes. I’m not sure the manifests ever reflected the tactical reality of the jump. It may have in some cases but most were just to make sure you got credit for the jump. The only jump I have a manifest for is my Panama combat jump. Manifests were kept at unit level for....2 or 3 years if memory serves me.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 17:19   #5
CSB
Quiet Professional

The only time "stick position" was ever important (at least in training jumps, I've never made a combat jump) was with respect to the load carried.
The man with the heaviest load was positioned closest to the door so he could stand up and waddle to the door, preferably being first out.

When I jumped into ROBIN SAGE I had my ruck and a complete M2 60mm mortar in a CWIE (Red Ball) container, plus my LBE
(web gear, worn "exposed" in the Special Forces style) and an M-16 under my left arm.
All up, I probably weighed 320 lbs (I weighed 155 lbs on the PT scales in my gym shorts).

So it was simply logical to make myself the #1 jumper, left door, so I'd be the first man out of the C-130 Combat Talon.
The rest of the A Team would follow me, but I'd have the easiest time making the trip to the door once fully rigged. Since the Drop Zone was
set up with the desired impact point beginning at the intersection of an inverted "L" of lights, I should land closest to the DZ team
who could help unload my air items (main, reserve, aviator's kit bag, steel helmet) and fit me up for the march
to the assembly point, without having to march a kilometer or more from the center of the DZ to the turn-in/assembly point.

Frankly, I really don't remember where I was in most of my "middle of the stick" jumps. It really didn't matter,
especially when we were jumping both doors.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 17:44   #6
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
...... we were jumping both doors.
Those were the days, no net -1s and jumping a team out both doors.

Then nets - trying to stagger when jumping both doors, no jumping -1s out both doors - Oh to hell with it we'll just jump one door or the ramp as fast as we can.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 20:46   #7
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Thanks for the great information.

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote