Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 01-02-2015, 23:21   #1
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Cell phones and yagis and boosters

Ok, I need some cell phone/echo help:

My cell phone reception at the farm is sketchy at best. I have Verizon service. I Presently have a square, directional antenna hooked up to a zboost booster, which isn't accomplishing anything.

I'm thinking about getting a Yagi antenna, and pairing it with some type of dual-band booster. I'm curious if the Yagi will work with the full range of cell freqs. Also, is there any type of field-expedient antenna that I can set up for cell stuff?

Thanks for the help

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 23:26   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Check out http://wa5vjb.com/. He might have what you're looking for.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:22   #3
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

I use These for work and personal gear from Wilson electronics. I use their mobile solution in a few trucks and have eliminated the dropped calls and data ot getting through.

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/

The mobile one I use does all technologies out right now CDMA and GSM. 2G/3G/4G and LTE. you get a 50db gain on send and receive ....
http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/sto...5/38/mobile-4g

I also use for work the following for a building that has a lot of dead space due to it beaning on the extreme edges of all cell towers.

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/sto...y-ag-pro-quint

Check out some of their other gear and you might find a good fit for your situation.

I have a mobile solution in my house. All I needed was a grower supply to replace the car supply. Just leave the phone near it and answer when it rings.

Hope this helps.

Just getting an antenna does not fix the db problem and you still need an amp.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 18:27   #4
craigepo
Quiet Professional

I'm in. Did you get one of their yagi antennas, or go with the white omnidirectional deals?

Those boosters look like the heat.

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
Old 01-10-2015, 21:06   #5
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
I'm in. Did you get one of their yagi antennas, or go with the white omnidirectional deals?

Those boosters look like the heat.
I have omni usually depending on how far the towers are. I have one setup with a yagi for when we go up in the mountains and it bennifits a lot. Check your telecom providers tower locations and if you are out in the papua patch with only one near use a Yagi. It will all depend on if you are only using a single provider or multiple in your household.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:24   #6
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Thanks a bunch for the help. I wound up purchasing the Wilson system you discussed, after checking signal strength around the house/roof with a free app. They sent me the antenna, which is actually a directional yagi in a plastic cover. That hooked to a booster, which hooks to an antenna inside the house. My reception went from 11% inside the house (not nearly enough to make a call) to a max of 85% (darn fast internet on the smartphone).

Now if I can just figure out a way to use my grandfathered-in unlimited data plan from our phones for Wi-Fi, I'll be in business. However, this is becoming quite an ordeal. Verizon is not very proud of their old unlimited plans.

Josey Wales
Old 01-23-2015, 11:45   #7
PSM
Area Commander

I'm not sure about your total situation, but living totally off-grid here, we have a high speed internet and phone service through a company called Wi-Power. They put a parabolic dish, like sat TV, that's aimed at their dedicated cell tower about 10 miles away. We have unlimited internet access that is much faster than our DSL in L.A., a land line-like phone, plus our own wifi hotspot.

Our DISH TV and Verizon DSL/phone bills, combined, were more than twice what we are paying for this service . I'm not sure if they serve your area, but there are companies like this popping up to serve those of us that live in more rural areas.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 01-23-2015 at 13:21.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:09   #8
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Not 100% clear on your details, but there were some work-arounds out there for hotspot access... Look up ubuntu-linux.....

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote