Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > Mindset

Old 07-04-2012, 20:35   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbrownguy View Post
I believe it was early 2005. I went to Selection not to long after. Back in my day, 1 Panther was still in the WWII style barracks on Ardenness(Old Division).

SBG
I don't think the 82nd barracks between Gruber and Ardennes were the WWII barracks Teddy is referring to. Those cinder block barracks were built in the 60's IIRC.

He means the splinter barracks down off Butner next to Pope. They were built during WWII. I stayed in them in a platoon bay in 1978. SOPC was there back till at least 2005 or so, and 4-3 SFG(A) was in them in 2009.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:54   #17
MK262MOD1
Quiet Professional

That is correct. They were 70s era buildings.
MK262MOD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 15:16   #18
Protivnik
Asset

I earned the EIB last year using the EIB 22 standards, which consisted of marksmanship, APFT, day/night landnav, patrol/TCP/urban lanes, and the ruckmarch.

I didn't feel badge protected but some of my comrades who were physically superior to me didnt pass the APFT which I found odd.

I feel as though the tasks performed during EIB are done to a Hollywood standard, and aren't very realistic, but at the same time you're studying the tasks and doing them to a standard that requires a little intelligence memorize.
Protivnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 16:46   #19
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I don't think the 82nd barracks between Gruber and Ardennes were the WWII barracks Teddy is referring to. Those cinder block barracks were built in the 60's IIRC.

He means the splinter barracks down off Butner next to Pope. They were built during WWII. I stayed in them in a platoon bay in 1978. SOPC was there back till at least 2005 or so, and 4-3 SFG(A) was in them in 2009.

TR
And the 18A Committee runs a FID FTX out of a couple of them today, as well as uses them as an ISOFAC for a UW FTX...if the Army only got as much value out of everything it bought!

I also got my EIB with 2-504 in the fall of 1989, and replaced it with a CIB in December.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:52   #20
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

I earned my EIB in 1987 with 3/9 Manchus (Ft. Ord, 7th ID (L) as an SP4 after failing in '86 as a PFC. Both times I felt the standards on some of the tasks were ridiculous (ok, F'ing stupid as in how you took the Dragon off your shoulder), perhaps reflecting a peace time Army. However, my company CDR did get a no-go on the Claymore lane because he could read Front Towards Enemy as he finished that task. Hey, his degree was in French (no shit).

Once you earned the EIB your reward was to be a lane grader on next year's test. I was NCOIC of land nav in '88 (a few months before the Q). Our CSM came out and was telling stories. He was asked why he went to Vietnam twice. Here, he takes up the story. "I went there to test for my CIB. There was only one station, Move Under Direct Fire. I got a no-go. Six months later I went back to retest."

Unlike the good CSM, earning my EIB was more difficult than my CIB, but the stakes were a bit higher for the latter so I value it more.

I do have to say that a few years later as a lane grader in SF there was peer pressure to let guys slide through. I was not popular that week.
Old 02-18-2013, 18:45   #21
Chairborne64
Quiet Professional

Divemaster,

Now that is a coincidence. I earned my EIB in 1998 with 4/21 IN at Fort Ord after failing in 87. A good chance you were one of the graders for me.

DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER
Chairborne64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:18   #22
sharkmanII
Quiet Professional

Schofield BKS 1983

I arrived to Schofield in Feb 1981, B Co, 1/21 Gimlets. I was to late (and to green) that year to try out for the EIB. But the next year, WATCH OUT, boy was I ready and boy did I get schooled to the ways of the EIB "protectors of the badge" (darn call for fire)! So that next year I worked and studied and made sure I had all of my skills honed and my last station was the call for fire and I blew it out of the water!! Every year after that I ended up on the test committee and swore I would not be a protector. It used to PI$$ me off at the # of officers that would try to push their way through a station and expect some "extra" consideration to their sub-standard performance, especially the guys that wore a Masons ring! I later earned my CIB in Desert Storm.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:14   #23
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Then there is the EFMB.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:21   #24
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Then there is the EFMB.
That deserves its own Thread of lies...

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52   #25
Fonzy
Guerrilla

Earned mine as a SPC back in 2006 while drinking coffee ... err, I mean on deployment to Kosovo.

To be quite honest, I went for it for the wrong reasons. I was plain bored "on mission" in Kosovo and soldiers who went for their EIB were allowed to stay back for the course (that should say a lot about our op tempo).

Afterwards, I'm glad I went out for it. I was the only soldier in my company to go through at the time and managed to earn it. Probably some of the most fun training I had been through and it most certainly set me up for success later on down the road.
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:50   #26
CANOPYx3
Quiet Professional

I think when greenberetTFS says "old Division area" he is talking about the WWII barracks on the other side of Longstreet. You might be too young to remember those. There are still a few around near Pike field. SWCS still uses some of them for running language classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbrownguy View Post
Lets just say the conditions of those barracks were less than ideal. They were knocked down in 2008,and are being replaced with dormitory style housing.

SBG
“To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.”
― Carlos Castaneda
CANOPYx3 is offline   Reply With Quote