Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 03-06-2018, 09:41   #106
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes View Post
Thank you for the reply, Joker. Will commit to memory right away.

Holly
Commit to memory by dry-firing!

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 14:46   #107
Box
Quiet Professional

Shooting is like any other performance activity - it takes practice to get good. Like the old saying goes, "the more I practice, the luckier I get." Practice also provides a better payoff when it is positive.

There is no shame in "starting close" when you are learning to shoot. Shooting at a three inch dot from three yards away sounds easy.
It is easy.
It's easy unless you can't keep all of your rounds well inside of the three inch dot. If you cant keep five rounds in a three inch dot at three yards, hitting the x-ring of a 25 yard slow-fire bull target will be damn near impossible.

Try "warming up" by shooting 5-10 well aimed shots at the 3-5 yard line. Shoot as SLOW as you need to shoot to put a shot group completely inside the black dot. Then move back to the 5-7 yard line and work on keeping a shot group in the black. Shooting at a little target is the best way to tighten your shot groups - "aim small, miss small"

The fundamentals are the same no matter WHAT range you are at. If you practice at a range that is overly taxing your command of the fundamentals, your shot group will look like it came from an old 10-gauge goose gun...
...and you will get frustrated and lose focus.

If your command of the fundamentals only reaches out to the 3 yard line then practice at the three yard line for awhile. Practicing at 15-20-25 yards away wont help much if you aren't hitting anything. A tight shot group at 3-5 yards will boost your confidence and keep you in a positive mood as you start moving back to greater distances.

Just don't fall into the trap of training "too close" - you still need to stretch it out or you will ever get any better than a 3-inch group at 5 yards.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 17:25   #108
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Shooting is like any other performance activity - it takes practice to get good. Like the old saying goes, "the more I practice, the luckier I get." Practice also provides a better payoff when it is positive.

There is no shame in "starting close" when you are learning to shoot. Shooting at a three inch dot from three yards away sounds easy.
It is easy.
It's easy unless you can't keep all of your rounds well inside of the three inch dot. If you cant keep five rounds in a three inch dot at three yards, hitting the x-ring of a 25 yard slow-fire bull target will be damn near impossible.

Try "warming up" by shooting 5-10 well aimed shots at the 3-5 yard line. Shoot as SLOW as you need to shoot to put a shot group completely inside the black dot. Then move back to the 5-7 yard line and work on keeping a shot group in the black. Shooting at a little target is the best way to tighten your shot groups - "aim small, miss small"

The fundamentals are the same no matter WHAT range you are at. If you practice at a range that is overly taxing your command of the fundamentals, your shot group will look like it came from an old 10-gauge goose gun...
...and you will get frustrated and lose focus.

If your command of the fundamentals only reaches out to the 3 yard line then practice at the three yard line for awhile. Practicing at 15-20-25 yards away wont help much if you aren't hitting anything. A tight shot group at 3-5 yards will boost your confidence and keep you in a positive mood as you start moving back to greater distances.

Just don't fall into the trap of training "too close" - you still need to stretch it out or you will ever get any better than a 3-inch group at 5 yards.

Thanks so much for the reply. Very good points to apply!!!

Just checked with my friend, and it was only 7 yards.

(((shrug)))

Will be reading, and re-reading all of the great advice in this thread...after all, ya'll QP's are the Best. And the goal is to only to get better and better, so if god forbid, that time comes when I have to defend myself, Sis, home etc..., I can...long road ahead!

Holly

Last edited by echoes; 03-06-2018 at 17:30.
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:43   #109
rsdengler
Area Commander

OK, as you know, I am in the mist of purchasing a holster for my Glock 19 (Don't say it, Don't say it) Someone suggested a Safariland ALS (Single Thumb activated button), any thoughts? I am going to continue training with a NEW Instructor in April, and his course teaches drawing and shooting from a holster so I need to find one soon. I do have a guy in PA that makes holsters, so I may try him as well since he is local to me, and I am going to look at guns next week so I will look at holsters too.

So, any help is gladly appreciated. I may even buy you a pound of a nice, dark roast coffee, bottle of Wine, or Liquor (whatever you fancy Ha) if you are the winner of my selection. LOL

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:16   #110
Box
Quiet Professional

How do you plan on carrying that pistol?

A simple kydex paddle holster can cover a lot of different applications without having to give away a day or two worth of your paycheck.

Good leather is awesome, but it comes with a price and a break in period.

If it is an everyday concealment holster that you are going to wear inside the waistband, it will need to be sturdy enough that it doesn't collapse on itself after you draw the pistol.

If you are looking for a good holster setup that is mostly for range use, your choices will also need to change.

I personally don't like "buttons" for retention but if you have to have an ALS with a button, I'd look at one of these...
http://www.safariland.com/products/h...1.html#start=1
...I use one at work with the M17 Sig and I don't hate it.

If I am buying it with my own money, I prefer Galco over Safariland.

Again, how and where you want to carry the gun have a lot to do with what type of holster you should be looking for.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:30   #111
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
How do you plan on carrying that pistol?

A simple kydex paddle holster can cover a lot of different applications without having to give away a day or two worth of your paycheck.

Good leather is awesome, but it comes with a price and a break in period.

If it is an everyday concealment holster that you are going to wear inside the waistband, it will need to be sturdy enough that it doesn't collapse on itself after you draw the pistol.

If you are looking for a good holster setup that is mostly for range use, your choices will also need to change.

I personally don't like "buttons" for retention but if you have to have an ALS with a button, I'd look at one of these...
http://www.safariland.com/products/h...1.html#start=1
...I use one at work with the M17 Sig and I don't hate it.

If I am buying it with my own money, I prefer Galco over Safariland.

Again, how and where you want to carry the gun have a lot to do with what type of holster you should be looking for.

Box Man

I don't plan on carrying as a concealed weapon (State of MD sucks with that) Nor do I want to carry one like Wyatt Earp-LOL. Ah, the smell of Leather, I can look (and feel) at something like that. I just want it for Range training purposes only. Does that help? I was looking at Safariland. I will take a gander at Galco, I just wanted insight on what someone suggested to me.

Thanks for the information; I just think you want to "win" the bottle of liquor....LOL

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita

Last edited by rsdengler; 03-14-2018 at 09:46.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:35   #112
Box
Quiet Professional

guns, leather, and alcohol do not mix well - someone always gets injured

Old 03-15-2018, 07:03   #113
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
OK, as you know, I am in the mist of purchasing a holster for my Glock 19 (Don't say it, Don't say it) Someone suggested a Safariland ALS (Single Thumb activated button), any thoughts? I am going to continue training with a NEW Instructor in April, and his course teaches drawing and shooting from a holster so I need to find one soon. I do have a guy in PA that makes holsters, so I may try him as well since he is local to me, and I am going to look at guns next week so I will look at holsters too.

So, any help is gladly appreciated. I may even buy you a pound of a nice, dark roast coffee, bottle of Wine, or Liquor (whatever you fancy Ha) if you are the winner of my selection. LOL
You may want to ask your new instructor what kind of holster he requires for the drawing from holster class. The classes I took required a OWB hip holster for safety purposes.
I have a variety of holsters for concealed and open carry. I use a OWB holster from Comp Tac for training classes. He has a few women's models as well:
http://comp-tac.com/holsters/womens-holsters/
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:28   #114
Box
Quiet Professional

Comp-Tac has some really great gear.

Their 'BeltFeed' ammo pouch is one of my next purchases....

Old 03-15-2018, 09:26   #115
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
You may want to ask your new instructor what kind of holster he requires for the drawing from holster class. The classes I took required a OWB hip holster for safety purposes.
I have a variety of holsters for concealed and open carry. I use a OWB holster from Comp Tac for training classes. He has a few women's models as well:
http://comp-tac.com/holsters/womens-holsters/
Thanks, yes he did say something about training with a plastic molded holster like Safariland at first, and when I get more confident I can switch to another one if I wanted. Like that nice, smooth, Corinthian Leather one...LOL

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 03-15-2018, 13:19   #116
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Thanks, yes he did say something about training with a plastic molded holster like Safariland at first, and when I get more confident I can switch to another one if I wanted. Like that nice, smooth, Corinthian Leather one...LOL
I've begun purchasing leather holsters and mag carriers for my carry pistols. I have to admit I like how they look when I wearing them. Even if they don't match my shoes!
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 14:08   #117
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Kydex, sucks

Don't purchase a kydex holster........... so many reasons why.

Leather or nylon is your friend as far as holsters go.

And there's no such this as "womens" holsters....... as there are holsters for big guns and little guns. Sales gimmick.

Just say "no" to kydex holsters.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:36   #118
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Don't purchase a kydex holster........... so many reasons why.

Leather or nylon is your friend as far as holsters go.

And there's no such this as "womens" holsters....... as there are holsters for big guns and little guns. Sales gimmick.

Just say "no" to kydex holsters.
Gee...so many choices......I will put nylon on my list as well...I most likely will purchase a leather one later; Ahhh Leather.....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 04-20-2018, 16:25   #119
rsdengler
Area Commander

OK, another dilemma question. Since my Glock 19 has the nice plastic factory sights (sarcasm LOL), I was thinking about having them replaced with steel sights. A friend of mine suggested Frank Proctor Y Notch Sights which has a serrated rear/and front fiber optic sight. So, any opinions or other advice on steel replacement sights for my Glock?

Oh, and by the way we did buy a new pistol and I think TS would be so proud. A HK VP 9....sweet...now I need to have some time to shoot that bad boy..... Maybe I will take it to my training May 5th to get some usage out of it.

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita

Last edited by rsdengler; 04-20-2018 at 16:27.
Old 04-20-2018, 20:29   #120
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
OK, another dilemma question. Since my Glock 19 has the nice plastic factory sights (sarcasm LOL), I was thinking about having them replaced with steel sights. A friend of mine suggested Frank Proctor Y Notch Sights which has a serrated rear/and front fiber optic sight. So, any opinions or other advice on steel replacement sights for my Glock?

Oh, and by the way we did buy a new pistol and I think TS would be so proud. A HK VP 9....sweet...now I need to have some time to shoot that bad boy..... Maybe I will take it to my training May 5th to get some usage out of it.
I'd just say, if you've already got the HK, shoot that before you worry about the Glock sights.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote