Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 10-27-2011, 07:06   #1
catnamedivan
FTFSI

Question Current status of DLAB as a requirement (18X)

My searches on this forum and others suggest that the DLAB has been a requirement for 18X SF candidates. My FutureSoldier obligatory e-mail from a civilian contractor also states that a pre-ship DLAB is a requirement.

My recruiter, on the other hand, insists that the DLAB is no longer a requirement for 18Xrays and will be taken sometime later down the line. I've brought both of the above to his attention, but he continues to insist that this is no longer applicable.

Does anyone have any current information on this?

Greatly appreciated,
CNI
catnamedivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:17   #2
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

IAW AR 614-200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR 614-20
5–5. Special Forces assignments (policy and selection criteria)
a. Initial Accessions Program (IAP). Males desiring to volunteer for SF duty should contact the nearest recruiting
office provided they—
(1) Must be 20 years of age by ship date to CMF 11 One Station Unit Training (OSUT) and have not reached their
30th birthday prior to ship date.
(2) Qualified for, and volunteer for airborne training (must have airborne stamp on physical).
(3) Must be a U.S. citizen (nonwaiverable).
(4) Minimum scores of 107 general technical (GT) and 98 combat operation (CO).
(5) High School Diploma Graduate (Tier 1). (HSSR authorized for DEP-In only. Must have high school diploma prior to ship date).
(6) Must be eligible for a SECRET clearance.
(7) Must volunteer to attend airborne training after the completion of OSUT.
(8) Must successfully complete all pre-basic training tasks required by the United States Army Recruiting Command
(USAREC) prior to ship date. The Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) must be completed within ten days of ship date. Individuals will be enlisted in pay grade E–3 (based on HQDA exception for this option). Those individuals who fail to successfully complete any pre-basic training tasks will have their contract renegotiated and only authorized advanced promotion based on provisions of AR 601–210.
(9) Those individuals already MOS qualified as 11B and airborne qualified, will enlist under option 18 (U.S. Army First Assignment-No Training Enlistment Option) with assignment to Fort Bragg, NC, and once inprocessed will start
training with Special Operations Preparatory & Conditioning (SOPC) Course.
(10) Must complete the Defense Language Aptitude Battery (DLAB) test within 30 days of DEP-In with a minimum score of 70 (waiverable) or a Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) with a minimum of 1/1 reading and listening score, given within the last 6 months.
(11) Must have a physical profile rating of no less than 111221 and meet additional requirements for eyes and vision in accordance with AR 40–501 paragraph 5–3g3, and 5–3g4.

b. 18X Training Path. Individuals who are non prior service (NPS), days of service/prior service (DOS/PS) and require retraining will enlist under Option 3 (U.S. Army Training of Choice Enlistment Option), MOS 18X, will ship to Fort Benning, GA and follow the training path listed below:
(1) Inprocessing through the Reception Battalion.
(2) OSUT for MOS 11X. Soldiers must achieve an APFT score of 229 with a minimum of 60 points in each event
upon completion of OSUT, using the standards for age group 17–21.
(3) Airborne training.
(4) The SOPC Course (Fort Bragg, NC). This course is two weeks in duration, consisting of physical conditioning, land navigation, and small unit team building. Individuals must obtain an electrocardiogram (EKG) prior to their arrival at SOPC Course.
(5) Once Soldiers meet all criteria, they will be scheduled for Special Forces Assessment and Selection (SFAS) (3 weeks 3 days) as outlined in ATRRS course catalog.
Good luck.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:52   #3
catnamedivan
FTFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
IAW AR 614-200

Good luck.
Thank you, sir, for your prompt reply.

To clarify the en-greened sentence: does this mean 30 days after the 18x candidate signs his contract?--or anytime within 30 days of the period before he ships?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:59   #4
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

I have no idea. When my son went to the MEPS station he took the DLAB during his time there.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:09   #5
catnamedivan
FTFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
I have no idea. When my son went to the MEPS station he took the DLAB during his time there.
That's what I was originally scheduled to do, but my recruiter canceled it the week before, due to 'recent changes in requirements' for 18x candidates.

I guess I'll be triple-checking with him on the DLAB, unless any other 18xrays or QPs in-the-know volunteer some info on these 'changes'.
Old 10-27-2011, 13:44   #6
Dive08
Quiet Professional

We had some 18x candidates take the DLAB at SFAS.
Dive08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 14:51   #7
RndTblKnght
Asset

Your recruiter is correct on this one. As of mid-September, you no longer take the DLAB at the MEPS before shipping. You will have the opportunity to take the DLAB at Ft Bragg. I posted the USAREC message in another forum. Go to Special Forces Questions and find the topic Age Requirements. Look at #4 on the USAREC message in my post.
Old 10-27-2011, 17:35   #8
catnamedivan
FTFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RndTblKnght View Post
Your recruiter is correct on this one. As of mid-September, you no longer take the DLAB at the MEPS before shipping. You will have the opportunity to take the DLAB at Ft Bragg. I posted the USAREC message in another forum. Go to Special Forces Questions and find the topic Age Requirements. Look at #4 on the USAREC message in my post.
Thank you, sir!

It really sets my mind at ease that I won't lose my MOS, before I even get to Selection! Now back to rucking for me.
Old 10-27-2011, 18:37   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnamedivan View Post
Thank you, sir!

It really sets my mind at ease that I won't lose my MOS, before I even get to Selection! Now back to rucking for me.
Have you read "A Message to Garcia", or answered the questions you were asked on your other thread yet?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 18:57   #10
catnamedivan
FTFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Have you read "A Message to Garcia", or answered the questions you were asked on your other thread yet?

TR
Yes, sir.