Old 07-30-2015, 07:36   #151
abc_123
Quiet Professional

In the oft chance that it could, I think you should stop even thinking about trying out for SF.

All this major stuff to worry about is not good for your health. Seriously. It's not worth it.

But if you insist, i recommend that you spend the next few years reading the good stuff on this board and worrying most about getting in the best physical shape of your life.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:35   #152
Kemical
Asset

On a less serious note, selection cadre snagged a few social media photos of some candidates that were using "#selection" and the likes. The class had a great laugh. Funny how I don't see those guys around anymore.
Kemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 14:50   #153
UofA4161
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakedeep View Post
S,

It very well could be just the area that I live in too.

Maybe some of the other recruits on the board who have just received 18X contracts can chip in their 2 cents so we can get a better picture from multiple districts in the country.

Jake
I'm in California, 18x, shipping 20160321. My told me it was "hard" and that the drop out rate of the last class was around 91%, but he didn't bust my balls about it beyond that.

Last edited by UofA4161; 12-10-2015 at 15:11.
UofA4161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 21:59   #154
WhiskeyClown91
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofA4161 View Post
I'm in California, 18x, shipping 20160321. My told me it was "hard" and that the drop out rate of the last class was around 91%, but he didn't bust my balls about it beyond that.
Same here, all of the recruiters tell me so long as I bust my ass I'll be fine. I'm guessing they're being nice. Either way, in training we need to work together and push each other. From my past military experience team work and motivation will take us far. We can beat that 91%.
"The problem that I set here is not what shall replace mankind in the order of living creatures (--man is an end--): but what type of man must be bred, must be willed, as being the most valuable, the most worthy of life, the most secure guarantee of the future." -Friedrich Nietzsche
WhiskeyClown91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:26   #155
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyClown91 View Post
Same here, all of the recruiters tell me so long as I bust my ass I'll be fine. I'm guessing they're being nice. Either way, in training we need to work together and push each other. From my past military experience team work and motivation will take us far. We can beat that 91%.
"all of the recruiters"

And not one of them a member or former member of the United States Army Special Forces, giving advice about a subject they know absolutely nothing about.

Sounds like a brilliant idea....

Here's some advice, if you're not an animal don't try out.
Old 01-12-2016, 16:05   #156
UofA4161
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
"all of the recruiters"

And not one of them a member or former member of the United States Army Special Forces, giving advice about a subject they know absolutely nothing about.

Sounds like a brilliant idea....

Here's some advice, if you're not an animal don't try out.
Team Sergeant, agreed.

The disconnect between the MOS and the recruiter is pretty massive. I've learned everything I know about 18x and what I'm getting into from this site and the people I've met through it, but very little from my recruiter. Maybe Army should redirect some Special Forces recruiting budget to the owners/operators/mediators of this site for that reason!

Building on your last comment, I'm curious- if you were to look at an 18x and think/say, "Damn son, you're an absolute animal!" What's that guy like?
UofA4161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 16:50   #157
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofA4161 View Post
Team Sergeant, agreed.

The disconnect between the MOS and the recruiter is pretty massive. I've learned everything I know about 18x and what I'm getting into from this site and the people I've met through it, but very little from my recruiter. Maybe Army should redirect some Special Forces recruiting budget to the owners/operators/mediators of this site for that reason!

Building on your last comment, I'm curious- if you were to look at an 18x and think/say, "Damn son, you're an absolute animal!" What's that guy like?
Discussed years ago. Here's a brilliant idea, why not "hire" retired SF to speak with possible recruits?
Old 01-13-2016, 16:10   #158
CAARNG 68W
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemical View Post
On a less serious note, selection cadre snagged a few social media photos of some candidates that were using "#selection" and the likes. The class had a great laugh. Funny how I don't see those guys around anymore.
Was this at an SFRE or at the SFAS? How the hell did the 'students' have access to their cell phones?
CAARNG 68W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 13:39   #159
C4B
Asset

Dead Thread Revival

The content in this thread is very interesting especially when it comes down to user privacy.

So I'll throw in some additional information in the mix.

Whatsapp, Snapchat, Facetime, Skype, etc. Be very careful with text/video messaging services especially if they can link to a social media account (See Facebook acquisition of Whatsapp). Your basic texting app that comes with mainly all cellphones should do the trick. Expect more scrutiny of social media platforms and text/video app services because of lone wolf terrorist attacks that have happened this year.

https://www.rt.com/news/359388-lone-...ks-messengers/

There is no such thing as 100% security when it comes to technology, it all depends on how much of the features you want to disable to keep yourself secure.

Disclaimer: I've done some research of IT and Cyber Security related topics over the years, but I don't have the credentials to claim myself as an expert. I encourage everyone to verify information I divulge here with appropriate search engine usage or local expert.

-C4B
C4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:47   #160
WildCatFootball
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4B View Post
The content in this thread is very interesting especially when it comes down to user privacy.

So I'll throw in some additional information in the mix.

Whatsapp, Snapchat, Facetime, Skype, etc. Be very careful with text/video messaging services especially if they can link to a social media account (See Facebook acquisition of Whatsapp). Your basic texting app that comes with mainly all cellphones should do the trick. Expect more scrutiny of social media platforms and text/video app services because of lone wolf terrorist attacks that have happened this year.

https://www.rt.com/news/359388-lone-...ks-messengers/

There is no such thing as 100% security when it comes to technology, it all depends on how much of the features you want to disable to keep yourself secure.

Disclaimer: I've done some research of IT and Cyber Security related topics over the years, but I don't have the credentials to claim myself as an expert. I encourage everyone to verify information I divulge here with appropriate search engine usage or local expert.

-C4B
I have three SF friends, all of them have Facebooks, SnapChats, etc. I used to get Instagram photos from when they were in the Q. Just today one of them posted a workout selfie from their gym in Afghanistan. I think this info is very dramatic. I'm not saying there aren't social media drops, but obviously 18x candidates and tabbed SF soldiers can maintain an active social media presence.
WildCatFootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:22   #161
Pete
Quiet Professional

Giving advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCatFootball View Post
....... I'm not saying there aren't social media drops, but obviously 18x candidates and tabbed SF soldiers can maintain an active social media presence.
Giving advice on some place you ain't got to yet? Interesting.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:50   #162
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Giving advice on some place you ain't got to yet? Interesting.
He will not get there (not waiverable).
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:07   #163
Windandrain
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCatFootball View Post
I have three SF friends, all of them have Facebooks, SnapChats, etc. I used to get Instagram photos from when they were in the Q. Just today one of them posted a workout selfie from their gym in Afghanistan. I think this info is very dramatic. I'm not saying there aren't social media drops, but obviously 18x candidates and tabbed SF soldiers can maintain an active social media presence.
This may be true (neither of us really have the experience to say right?), but the original post addressed the fact that social media presence would lower your chance of being assigned to specific units and missions. That intuitively makes sense to me. If you're captured think of the extreme risk to your family, not to mention the leverage the captors have if they can identify you. As an aside, why do we feel the need to update social media in the middle of a time when our focus should be on the task at hand (training for SFAS/Q course)? I trust the QP's who have been there done that and gone back for more.
Windandrain is offline   Reply With Quote