Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 07-28-2017, 17:43   #16
echoes
Area Commander

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Damn, there goes my cover again, I get busted all the time..........

Was home visiting family last year and my mother's 80 year old friend carries one of these....... and he's big enough to use it!

http://www.guns.com/2012/09/11/judge...revolver-hype/
TS,

Would seek advice from you at the range, no matter what!...You are , "The Man."

In addition, am printing off all of the advice here, and posting it on my bulletin board. Am going to study each and every sentence, til it is committed to memory...before my purchase.

Thank you all again.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 18:09   #17
PRB
Quiet Professional

Just picked up a Sig Sauer P 290 rs 9mm....this is a double action and one needs tp be comfortable with that.
I'm not sure that would work for you as a double action takes practice but it is a safe carry without any safeties.
It shoots flawlessly, is small (sub compact), and the recoil to me was negligible.
I am going to carry this piece in lieu of a tad smaller .380.
If you can get one to try out see if it fits....the size and weight/caliber are on the nose.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 18:43   #18
Chucko
Guerrilla

22 for me.

Interesting posts. I have a little different twist on this. My wife was looking for a headboard gun and also my sister who is looking for a CC gun. Something they are comfortable shooting and is fairly accurate.

I took my wife out on the back porch to shoot my 1911 45 about 20 years ago. The think kicks like a mule and is not accurate and one of the first few rounds sent a casing back and hit her in the forehead. That was it for her.

Today she is more serious about shooting for defense in the home so I take her out again. I start with my semi auto Buckmark 22. It is big and not much recoil and she was very comfortable with that and could put a dozen rounds in a cool whip cover at 15' right out of the gate. She was to the point where she wanted it dead center and not off 2 inches.

I give her my 9mm semi auto Kahr just to see how she would handle it and it has to much kick and she is afraid of it. Then the 45 again, and again forget it. We could even tell where the bullets were going.

She likes the 22.

Lat week I went to Wisconsin and took my sister out shooting with the same 3 guns. She fell in love with my Buckmark for shootability and ease of reloading etc. Both women had a terrible time loading the clips on the 9mm and the 45 to where they could only put a couple rounds in it at a time. (I know they sell autoloaders).

We went looking for a few days and came across a Rugar PS22 semi auto. They seem like a nice, small, easy to use and cheap to practice with gun and will probably get one for my wife in a couple days. I cannot see a problem with this particular gun for defense.

I would not want to face a competent woman carrying a 22 even though a bigger gun has more stopping power. 10 rounds from a 22 coming at you accurately will change a burglars tune in a hurry.

That is a gun that she will be comfortable with (I hope) and if she runs put of bullets she can reach over and grab my 45 if she pleases.

A few years down the road she can change if she wants more kick from a gun and get something else, but for now a 22 has just the right amount of wallop.
Chucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 19:46   #19
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Shooting the biggest pistol you are comfortable and accurate with is always a good plan. If that means a .22 then thats ok.
Old 07-28-2017, 23:01   #20
PSM
Area Commander

My wife is a an NRA certified RSO and coach at an all-women's shooting club here in Sierra Vista. The first class (required of all new members regardless of previous experience) is free and conducted by an NRA instructor. It includes range time shooting a variety of guns to help them decide what is best for them.

My wife carries several depending on the situation. She has a .22 Ruger LCR for around the property in case of snakes or to scare off coyotes. A .38 LCR in her purse for in the car, and a 9mm XD for CC which she almost never carries because she doesn't want to wear a holster. Therein lies the usual problem, the best tool is not handy because it doesn't fit the outfit. Her XD carries twice the number of rounds as my UPSc .45, yet it is almost always at home when we are out.

Even experience cannot always trump vanity.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 07-28-2017 at 23:08.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:30   #21
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Damn, there goes my cover again, I get busted all the time..........

Was home visiting family last year and my mother's 80 year old friend carries one of these....... and he's big enough to use it!

http://www.guns.com/2012/09/11/judge...revolver-hype/
LOL....it's the "cool guy gear" you are wearing . It makes the women go all "dreamy eyed", that's why they book extra lessons Ha....

That Taurus Judge looks sort of like the weapon my HQL instructor showed us when I first went shooting. That thing felt massive when I picked it up...Heck forget about me shooting that bad boy, I could always just use it to club someone to death

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:20   #22
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
LOL....it's the "cool guy gear" you are wearing . It makes the women go all "dreamy eyed", that's why they book extra lessons Ha....
j/k, I've only been on a "public" range once, and once was enough. The "range safety personnel" on Ben Avery are low IQ idiots dealing with lower IQ idiots.

I'll take a spot in the desert any day. Besides if anyone here has ever watched me teach I stand in front of my students...... yes you read that right, in front.
Old 07-30-2017, 14:41   #23
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
j/k, I've only been on a "public" range once, and once was enough. The "range safety personnel" on Ben Avery are low IQ idiots dealing with lower IQ idiots.

I'll take a spot in the desert any day. Besides if anyone here has ever watched me teach I stand in front of my students...... yes you read that right, in front.
LOL too funny...that's why "You Da Man".....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 07-30-2017, 22:01   #24
JamesIkanov
Asset

Specific to the gun mentioned in the title:
I've heard very mixed things about'em. Several complaints of out of the box failures, but on the plus side they have a fairly generous warranty. For a while they even offered to replace them if they got stolen. To me that's an indicator of how inexpensively made they are. Not necessarily a bad thing, but in general I'd relegate such a gun to a beater. Wouldn't carry it as a first choice, but that's just my 0.02$

I'd personally recommend any 9mm from a well known and reputable manufacturer. The Walther CCP is a good example, but that particular gun has or previously had some drop safety issues that discount it from consideration specifically.... Unless they've been fixed, which I haven't heard of yet. There's also the P2000/VP9 SK models, but those are pricier. Same for single stack SIG. CZ makes a decent compact as well.
JamesIkanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 13:11   #25
rsdengler
Area Commander

Holly:

These guys are spot on with the comments about training, listening, firing different handguns, and asking loads of questions prior to buying a handgun. Over the weekend I had my first lesson with my instructor, one-on-one and I have to say it was amazing. I shot 4-9mm handguns, 3 Glocks, and 1 Springfield XD9. I have to say practice, practice, practice, and pay attention …my thumb now has a nice blister on it, I have a redneck sunburn, and spent cartridge burns on my arms, collarbone, and had one fling down the front of my shirt, and you have to keep in mind to stand still when they hit. But it was worth it; oh wait the first burn made me do the backward jimmy leg dance.

You also need to find a great instructor, someone you feel very confident and comfortable with. I have to say I just love my instructor, he and I meshed right off the bat, like we have known each other for quite some time. (I have this impression that my husband thinks I am about to run off with him…LOL ) Ask questions, after questions and LISTEN, especially when it comes to safety with handling the weapon. So much goes through your head the first time you go through lessons, it can be overwhelming at first. I am still texting questions and asking “when can we train again”. Plus, I need to work on my problem areas.

I have another lesson planned for Sept. 9 and I am psyched and cannot wait until September.

Best of luck to you….Rita

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita

Last edited by rsdengler; 08-22-2017 at 13:15.
Old 08-22-2017, 14:26   #26
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
Holly:

These guys are spot on with the comments about training, listening, firing different handguns, and asking loads of questions prior to buying a handgun. Over the weekend I had my first lesson with my instructor, one-on-one and I have to say it was amazing. I shot 4-9mm handguns, 3 Glocks, and 1 Springfield XD9. I have to say practice, practice, practice, and pay attention …my thumb now has a nice blister on it, I have a redneck sunburn, and spent cartridge burns on my arms, collarbone, and had one fling down the front of my shirt, and you have to keep in mind to stand still when they hit. But it was worth it; oh wait the first burn made me do the backward jimmy leg dance.

You also need to find a great instructor, someone you feel very confident and comfortable with. I have to say I just love my instructor, he and I meshed right off the bat, like we have known each other for quite some time. (I have this impression that my husband thinks I am about to run off with him…LOL ) Ask questions, after questions and LISTEN, especially when it comes to safety with handling the weapon. So much goes through your head the first time you go through lessons, it can be overwhelming at first. I am still texting questions and asking “when can we train again”. Plus, I need to work on my problem areas.

I have another lesson planned for Sept. 9 and I am psyched and cannot wait until September.

Best of luck to you….Rita
Rita, Wow Lady!!! Sounds like you had a helluva first lesson..

Thank you for the detailed Q&A!

Am already ahead of the game, as am going back to CO next week for some real live shooting practice with my friend from my recent visit.

He is qualified, and would...(and am,) trust him with my life as we are going to a very remote AO.

Will check back after completion of this training.

And if ya'll don't hear from me...send out the search party.. LOL

Holly
Old 08-22-2017, 15:09   #27
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

http://pistolpacknmama.com/

Echo! Your former student sends hellos and wishes you the best!

I purchased a purse from the above website for my better half and she uses it daily. She preferred wheel guns to auto loaders, she didn't like the slides on my 380's or 9mms. Started her on a .22 as mentioned earlier in this thread to build confidence and acquire some "fun factor", then progressed to light 38's in a small 5 shot Taurus Mod 85. She now can handle mid ranged .357 from a 6 inch SW M27. The .357 stays in the truck, while the 38 rides in her purse.

For home defense she has the choice between a pump 20 gauge shotgun or a suppressed 9mm AR 15. Both have lights.

1. Practice.

2. Look fashionable.

Hope this helps,,,

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:20   #28
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Last X-mas HH6 told me she wanted a new handgun, with the help of my go to gun shop she held and shot almost everything. We went home with the HK VP9. The grips adjusted to her hands and the slide was the easiest for her to manipulate. She has been a good shot since I've known her, but now it's fun to go to the range together. She heads to the pistol range, while I practice oh the rifle range. CC is not an option in The People's Republic of Maryland, thus the VP9 is set up as a "House Gun" as TR described.
Good luck and have fun with the process.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:43   #29
echoes
Area Commander

Thumbs up

Thank you blue and commo, your advice will be committed to memory...

Practice, look fashionable, and have fun have been added to my list of tips...

In all seriousness though, I have been very inspired by so many folks on PS to practice.

Will update after training commences next week.

Holly

Last edited by echoes; 08-23-2017 at 13:26.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:36   #30
Box
Quiet Professional

...just a thought

If you are going to carry concealed; carry concealed. A carry gun in your purse is just like having extra ammo in your ruck back at the patrol base.
It doesn't do you any good if it isn't on your person. If you fall victim to a purse snatcher, your have just armed your assailant with your only means of defense.

Men and women are built different AND they dress different. If you like to wear a skirt, you still can wear a holster that allows you to carry a small pistol on your inner thigh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNL5pqn3Eng
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ja4mUIO4mw

You also have boobs... that means you can wear looser shirts that help conceal a gun on your belt. A man wearing the same
You can also wear a light jacket in the summer and it will just look like you are a sharp dressed lady in a business jacket.

If I wear a jacket in the summer, it makes me look like I am crazy, or to the more observant, it labels me as a guy that is probably carrying concealed.
You can wear a vest and it just looks like a fashion item
If I wear a vest, it ABSOLUTELY makes it look like I am hiding something. There are a few site (below) that cater to ladies that want to carry concealed.

...for what its worth, I'd have a lot of fun getting my wife to model some of these holsters wearing nothing more than a tiara and some high heels

https://www.cancanconcealment.com/
https://www.gungoddess.com/on-body-holsters/
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote