Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18C

Old 12-29-2006, 10:16   #16
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Don"t forget the oils and lubricants for all those tools...if it requires a specific one take it or otherwise WD40 is a good cover-all.

looking through some "old" packing lists...I'll be back

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"

Last edited by Snaquebite; 12-29-2006 at 18:31.
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:33   #17
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite
Don"t forget the oils and lubricants for all those tools...if it requires a specific one take it or other wise WD40 is a good cover-all.

looking through some "old" packing lists...I'll be back
Break Free or some other CLP - WD 40 can get gummy and attracts dust and sand.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 17:11   #18
Abu Jack
Quiet Professional

Great Thread. Thanks Mtn Goat. I guess what used to me institutional knowledge isn't. Thanks again for getting the word out.
Abu Jack
Abu Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 18:33   #19
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Good point about the wd40, however if used correctly dust and sand won't be a problem. Also depends on what part of the world you may be deploying....

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 19:22   #20
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med
Break Free or some other CLP - WD 40 can get gummy and attracts dust and sand.
Not on a saw blade or to lube hinges, or for about 999 other uses.

The CLP collects dust and grit just as badly, as it is heavier.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 20:10   #21
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Or a couple of cans of 3 in 1 would work too.
Scotchbrite, 0000 steelwool, and some good fine grit emery paper were left out of the R&U kit, all have multiple uses (cleaning and finishing).

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 20:26   #22
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med
some good fine grit emery paper were left out of the R&U kit, all have multiple uses (cleaning and finishing).
jeweller's rouge works well as a fine abrasive...if you are patient...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 23:39   #23
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
jeweller's rouge works well as a fine abrasive...if you are patient...
I remember wondering what the dull spots on the glass cover of the Tm Ldr's desk were when I first got to 775 in Panama. Seems the Sr. Eng. needed a perfectly flat surface so he could hand lap the valves off of the dive compressor. Learned a lot on that team. Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:46   #24
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

This seems like a no brainier, but a good Tool bag to hold your Hammers, marking tools, pencils, markers, plumb bob, hand tools (screw driver, ETC) that you use a lot along with all of those items that seem to walk away on there own.

Added Items:
Carpenters square, 2ea
One foot level along with a three foot one
1-2 chalk line with a refill bottle
Miter Saw Protractor, small one, great for trying to find what cut (angle) you need in that special area.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:21   #25
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

This gets away from tool's and demo equipment, but it is still a 18C item. If your conducting mounted op's, you should always have a good recovery kit. Preferable 1 per truck, but at a minimum at least one per convoy.

This is a pretty good basic kit.

http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/eoprecov/

The only thing I would add to it, is an extra length of cable 25 to 50 ft long, that would fit through the pulley.

Plus do regular PMCS on the winch on your vehicle to ensure that it will work properly when needed.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:33   #26
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Tab
This gets away from tool's and demo equipment, but it is still a 18C item. If your conducting mounted op's, you should always have a good recovery kit.
good idea...because i now normally travel paved roads, i quit carrying a come-along in the truck...unless you get really stupid, it can be used to get out of most situations (if used with patience and common sense)...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:50   #27
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

DEMO BOX add on

9 Volt Batts for your CD-450 and RAMS. re-fill your 450s and put 6-8 9 Volts in the top cut out of your RAMS metal box. I would take one full box of 9Vs. They are hard to get here from the SIGDET and Local ones SUX.

Also, for all of you new 18C coming from the Course. Pass the word; we have TDFDs and your istructors need to cover them more!! I use have and use them!! There not GONE and you will or can see them in your future.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”

Last edited by MtnGoat; 01-08-2007 at 08:12.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:47   #28
7624U
Quiet Professional

Ive always been a fan of the 18B and 18C combined tool sets, it cuts down on boxes and space, the only thing the 18B needs in addition is a rubber mallet
punch set and a Hex wrench set. all the rest of the tools the 18C already has in his kit like screwdrivers, pliers,wire cutters, bolt cutters, and heavy hammers,
all teams should have a air compresser now days, they can be used for everything. not a fan of rechargable tools they always run out of juice when you need them the most, Air power is much more dependable, it just makes more noise is all. and of course your little honda portable generator.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:56   #29
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Tab
This gets away from tool's and demo equipment, but it is still a 18C item. If your conducting mounted op's, you should always have a good recovery kit. Preferable 1 per truck, but at a minimum at least one per convoy.

This is a pretty good basic kit.

http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/eoprecov/

The only thing I would add to it, is an extra length of cable 25 to 50 ft long, that would fit through the pulley.

Plus do regular PMCS on the winch on your vehicle to ensure that it will work properly when needed.
Agree with that also you can carry a army issue grounding rod in your truck if you get stuck pound that grounding rod in the ground all the way then attach your pulley to it if you are in a spot with no ancor point or tree's its expendable just leave the rod.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:39   #30
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

I have gone through two different sets of drill bits during this trip. I didn't get them, nor do I know if the got NEW ones for this trip. I would say ensure you get NEW drill sets, maybe two extra of 1/2", 3/4" and any you typically use more of. If you can get a drill sharper machine. There small and portable, great to have. I brought mine over, but it got pluged into a 220V socket. D@mn the bad luck.

Hey this isn't just for an 18C to post his ideas. Like MAX TAB and 7624U posted, its open to all. I would like some one who knows Chain saw to post what they like to use. So if you have some good ideas from when you were deployed and wished you took it and you did pack it out and it helped out. Tell us so we all know. Even if its something you do back here at home station or on your 4x4 rock crawler.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS