Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18B

Old 08-22-2008, 20:10   #31
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Risking the Team Sgt's wrath, as Im neither SF nor work for FN, but I work in an armory full of SCAR's. I would go out on a limb here and say that the odd pinging your hearing is from that craptastick Flash hider/suppressor mount that it seems is simply tighted down with a wrench, without even loctight, let alone rockset which is IMHO the only way to secure something that is holding a supressor on the end of a gun.
Old 01-20-2010, 18:38   #32
MeC86
Guerrilla

Just got this from the boss. He wants me to take it out to the range and give it test or two.

Any new word on this system?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1264031997337.jpg (15.7 KB, 496 views)
MeC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 19:25   #33
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

The word we just got was that the system is on hold and probably scrapped.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 19:47   #34
MeC86
Guerrilla

Wow, Thought they were going forward with it. Is there a different weapon in mind or is it back to the drawing board?
MeC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 14:11   #35
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

I have now heard it is scrapped.

Rick B.

Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 02-26-2010, 18:09   #36
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
I have now heard it is scrapped.
I'll ask around for follow-up/details from our side. In any case - it's about flipping time. Any bets on the next politically motivated solution looking for a problem?
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 18:23   #37
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

They are still training and using it here at MARSOC.
Don't know if they are carrying it on op's overseas thou.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:06   #38
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

K - one of our guys started to take a heavy to the Benning comp and left it behind because it would not perform worth a s**t. He and his partner came in 2d without the boat anchor.

Peregrino - We have been told to prepare to turn all of them in for return to FN.

Rick B.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:05   #39
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Last I saw, procurement money for the SCAR had been deleted from the budget.

Great, we get all the way to the production and fielding phase of yet another SOCOM project before someone puts them in the hands of SF soldiers and gets some feedback from actual end users.

What a huge waste of time and money.

Of course, given the raging success of SOCOM's Mk 23 Offensive Crew-Served Hand Cannon, who could have predicted this?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:18   #40
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I still get a laugh every time I think about the "Walter Mitties" who've spent upwards of $7000.00 (for a rifle projected to cost the gov't +/- $1700.00) to be "the first one on your block with the new SOCOM rifle". "Take advantage of the research and development that is creating the next combat rifle for the new generation of special operations "operator" and get yours now." Etc., etc., ad nauseum.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:04   #41
Sinister
Quiet Professional

You'd think we were taking lessons from Leg Army on how to buy our weapons.

Bad enough we're using Navy systems to do it.

The jack-assery requirement for changing barrels in the ORP was just astounding.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 17:00   #42
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Last I saw, procurement money for the SCAR had been deleted from the budget.

Great, we get all the way to the production and fielding phase of yet another SOCOM project before someone puts them in the hands of SF soldiers and gets some feedback from actual end users.

What a huge waste of time and money.

Of course, given the raging success of SOCOM's Mk 23 Offensive Crew-Served Hand Cannon, who could have predicted this?

TR
Haven't they been in our hands already? Most here have negative opinions of the SCAR. They are the End Users.
Rick?? Has SOCOM officially dropped the SCAR Program? If so, I need to let them know here to drop it from the training.
Old 02-27-2010, 18:03   #43
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

K - Do not know if USSOCOM has dropped it only that is the word at USASOC. You are correct, they did get into some hands. Problem is that the project should have ended long ago and almost did several times. The users were split on the weapon some liked it with some complaints on ergonomics and some hated it. I believe some did make it to the zone but I do not have any first hand knowledge of the results.

I do know that several years ago USASOC had a cow because we had gotten our hands on a couple. Our comments were not appreciated but they did make a few changes based on the complaints of the reciprocating bolt handle and some of the attaching points. Not enough, evidently to save the project.

We had both the light and heavy on the range and again some was OK with it and some hated it. While the heavy was not a sniper rifle and was never intended for anything but a battle rifle, it had accuracy and reliability problems. The sniper rifle never made it past development and initial testing. The guys that tested it said that it did hold well but the ergonomics sucked. There was not enough testing time to check on reliability and repeatability.

Make quick take on the debacle. Had they listened to the shooters early in th game and not tried to save a program without user input, it may have worked. My biggest complaint is this, why change systems if it is not a large step into better then we have, and not just another design of the same old same old? The SCAR was not a technological leap, hell it was not even a baby step.

Hey K, why don't you stop by the old range and see the new that is going on, I think you will like it. I have a new sniper simulator that is 50 meters long but will simulate 800 meters with live ammo, wind, altitude, live action scenarios videos and still in the beta version. Do a stop by if you get a chance. I am assuming you are playing here in NC.

Rick B.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.

Last edited by longrange1947; 02-27-2010 at 18:08.
Old 02-27-2010, 18:37   #44
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
K - Do not know if USSOCOM has dropped it only that is the word at USASOC. You are correct, they did get into some hands. Problem is that the project should have ended long ago and almost did several times. The users were split on the weapon some liked it with some complaints on ergonomics and some hated it. I believe some did make it to the zone but I do not have any first hand knowledge of the results.

I do know that several years ago USASOC had a cow because we had gotten our hands on a couple. Our comments were not appreciated but they did make a few changes based on the complaints of the reciprocating bolt handle and some of the attaching points. Not enough, evidently to save the project.

We had both the light and heavy on the range and again some was OK with it and some hated it. While the heavy was not a sniper rifle and was never intended for anything but a battle rifle, it had accuracy and reliability problems. The sniper rifle never made it past development and initial testing. The guys that tested it said that it did hold well but the ergonomics sucked. There was not enough testing time to check on reliability and repeatability.

Make quick take on the debacle. Had they listened to the shooters early in th game and not tried to save a program without user input, it may have worked. My biggest complaint is this, why change systems if it is not a large step into better then we have, and not just another design of the same old same old? The SCAR was not a technological leap, hell it was not even a baby step.

Hey K, why don't you stop by the old range and see the new that is going on, I think you will like it. I have a new sniper simulator that is 50 meters long but will simulate 800 meters with live ammo, wind, altitude, live action scenarios videos and still in the beta version. Do a stop by if you get a chance. I am assuming you are playing here in NC.
I'm down here at the MARSOC School. I'm running the CMMS this next class. This is their Q-Course. So they don't have a Sniper Program. Some growing pains here. They only graduated their second class two weeks ago. But it's great to be working with these guys. Motivated young warriors in my Book. We are trying to link up with you guys up there
Old 02-27-2010, 18:40   #45
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
I'm down here at the MARSOC School. I'm running the CMMS this next class. This is their Q-Course. So they don't have a Sniper Program. Some growing pains here. They only graduated their second class two weeks ago. But it's great to be working with these guys. Motivated young warriors in my Book. We are trying to link up with you guys up there
They have made several stops on the compound, to answer your question, I do not know if only USASOC is dropping out or if all of USSOCOM is dropping it. I would believe that USSOCOM is though. Maybe Peregrino can give you a better read o that one.

Rick B.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.