Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 08-23-2013, 07:50   #151
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Well, I officially gave up my HD loyalty...I was strapped for cash a few years back and bought a used Honda...and you can't break the friggin' thing. It just keeps running, no matter what. I am kinda sold, provided I have the tools to do some custom work (which I do.) Now, all I need to do is get my bidness set up to make non-HD parts.

For those asking about Group parts, etc...if you're in the market, feel free to contact me, and IF the leadership here gives it the OK, I'll make you a good deal on aesthetic parts. I'm about 1500 miles away from my shop right now, in Phoenix, so I'm not doing any performance work...but I can send in a design and have pretty parts in the mail in a couple of days...

...and yes...I realize it's blasphemy that I no longer ride Harley, but haven't managed switched my shop over to produce parts for anything except Harley...I'm actually getting measurements together and drawing up plans for parts for Honda cruisers right now, but it may be a while before they hit production.

Last edited by Irishsquid; 08-23-2013 at 07:59.
Irishsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:03   #152
69harley
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-munich View Post
I know what you mean about keeping it original, I would just like to have a little more power to it. Any ideas? I ride with big twins every once in awhile and it's hard to keep up on the interstate.
The 1200 cylinders will bolt in without any machining. Harley makes a kit, but there is much better in the aftermarket from companies like Axtell and S&S.

A good set of bolt-in cams will liven up that engine weather it stays an 883 or gets the big-bore cylinders. Cams are needed regardless.

Look at Zippers Performance for a better flowing aircleaner, cams, mufflers and maybe even some cylinders and headwork. 85 Horse at the rear wheel on a 1200 cc sporty is common.

If it's an '03 it is ten years old, no need to keep it original as it came from Harley. OEM bikes are way too restricted, they run hot and leave allot of power on the table.

Allow that bike to breath and it'll run circles around the big twins. The hot rods of harley have always been the sportsters.
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 17:02   #153
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Took it for a short ride last night.
Hadn't ridden a motorcycle in more than a decade.

Forgot how much different these things are from sport bikes.
Much louder, too.

Was going to go for a long ride today to finish off the vacation week, but the rain isn't going to stop anytime soon.
Maybe next weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.6 KB, 42 views)
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 18:45   #154
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulCitizen View Post
Took it for a short ride last night.
Hadn't ridden a motorcycle in more than a decade.

Forgot how much different these things are from sport bikes.
Much louder, too.

Was going to go for a long ride today to finish off the vacation week, but the rain isn't going to stop anytime soon.
Maybe next weekend.
Just remember that there are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders, be safe and enjoy! And please do us a favor and send some of that rain our way .
cbtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 13:53   #155
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Time to reserect this thread.....

Who is riding and what is it? What are you doing on your rides? Bike tour photos!

I’ve been riding off and on since I was 12. Since being back in the states and in a state you can ride year round I started riding again to relax and get out of the house. Got a good deal on a V Star 950 and have been enjoying it a lot. Might have to go bigger as the long hauls to other places I want to see need more power and a little more comfort. Until then I will ge adding miles to this bike.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 17:27   #156
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

I LITERALLY never rode a bike until April of this year when I took the BRC.

I have since picked up a BMW G650GS for me, and a Honda CB500X for my wife, both used, low mileage and couldn't pass up deals.

She loves the Honda, I am not enamored with the Thumper. We'll see how long she lasts, but I had no frame of reference before buying except the BRC bike and a few short test rides.

We have gotten up to hour, hour and a half rides to nearby state parks and day hikes before riding back.

The goal has always been to be ready to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway for a couple of days by mid-Nov for the fall color. I have an FTX through the 2nd, then it is most likely going to happen.
Old 10-21-2018, 17:47   #157
CW3SF
Quiet Professional

I love my Harley’s. I have a 2016 Low Rider and my son has a 2006 Night Train. I taught him to ride, got him in a riders course and picked up a second bike when he was 16. We have spent many, many days exploring the back roads and hills of Tennessee. It gave us a common hobby at a critical time in his development.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 17:58   #158
CW3SF
Quiet Professional

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...ea6be4de7b.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...d731d1cf49.jpg
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 19:04   #159
cbtengr
Area Commander

I have two bikes a 1967 FLH and a 2013 Ultra Classic, guess which one I prefer? I have had Harleys since 1974 and until 2005 the 67 FLH was the newest HD I had ever owned.

[ATTACH]DSCN3109.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Small FLH.jpg (76.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 10-21-2018, 20:51   #160
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
I LITERALLY never rode a bike until April of this year when I took the BRC.

I have since picked up a BMW G650GS for me, and a Honda CB500X for my wife, both used, low mileage and couldn't pass up deals.

She loves the Honda, I am not enamored with the Thumper. We'll see how long she lasts, but I had no frame of reference before buying except the BRC bike and a few short test rides.

We have gotten up to hour, hour and a half rides to nearby state parks and day hikes before riding back.

The goal has always been to be ready to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway for a couple of days by mid-Nov for the fall color. I have an FTX through the 2nd, then it is most likely going to happen.
For planning your trips check out Butler Motorcycle Maps. They have different ones by state and special areas. They are prepared for motorcycle riding and all of the routes are ridden and rated by riders. They are a great tool for picking routes.

Check out the link as they have great ones for your area.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s...otorcycle+Maps

I am trying to ride all of the top ones here in NM.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 00:27   #161
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Finally got rid of the R1200GS and got a '16 Softail Slim S. I have an adjustable exhaust system, so comply with German emission laws, a S&S stealth filter and a Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3. Added some custom covers and lettering to commemorate the WW2 Harley WLA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23783765_540881026246178_8787223269973576791_o.jpg (103.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00834.jpg (86.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1550.jpg (90.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 10-22-2018, 05:22   #162
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
I have two bikes a 1967 FLH and a 2013 Ultra Classic, guess which one I prefer? I have had Harleys since 1974 and until 2005 the 67 FLH was the newest HD I had ever owned.
I was always a dirt-bike guy since a kid, although had a Bonneville for awhile as a young troop. I don't know shinola about Harleys but I like the one parked in front of your tractor. That's purty.

Some of the newer things I've seen these days appear to be:
IF actual Utility
THEN ugly unsculpted lines
ELSE beauty without rudimentary actual off-road function

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:22   #163
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Time to reserect this thread.....

Who is riding and what is it? What are you doing on your rides? Bike tour photos!

I’ve been riding off and on since I was 12. Since being back in the states and in a state you can ride year round I started riding again to relax and get out of the house. Got a good deal on a V Star 950 and have been enjoying it a lot. Might have to go bigger as the long hauls to other places I want to see need more power and a little more comfort. Until then I will ge adding miles to this bike.
Spring and daylight savings recently arrived way down south here, so lots of riding lately.

3 rides this past week and 3 more planned for this upcoming week.

As an HD dealer, I’m lucky to be able to demo whatever is in the stable.

Most recently an FXDR.

But my favourite is the new Heritage. It’s a real sleeper.

Did a fair bit of riding back in August with a few Team guys while visiting San Diego.

The Heritage was hands down the best choice compared with the Fatboy swapping back and forth.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:24   #164
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
I was always a dirt-bike guy since a kid, although had a Bonneville for awhile as a young troop. I don't know shinola about Harleys but I like the one parked in front of your tractor. That's purty.

Some of the newer things I've seen these days appear to be:
IF actual Utility
THEN ugly unsculpted lines
ELSE beauty without rudimentary actual off-road function
Sounds like Harley-Davidson’s upcoming Pan America to a T:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...n-america.html

Haven’t seen it up close and personal yet, but should see it next year.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:32   #165
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
For planning your trips check out Butler Motorcycle Maps. They have different ones by state and special areas. They are prepared for motorcycle riding and all of the routes are ridden and rated by riders. They are a great tool for picking routes.

Check out the link as they have great ones for your area.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s...otorcycle+Maps

I am trying to ride all of the top ones here in NM.
My team and I have been building out a progressive web app called Porky.

https://porky.co

Not turn by turn navigation, more like a mashup of Tinder and Airbnb for Harley-Davidson Riders to “Find.Meet.Ride.”

Testing in NZ now(Ride mapping autofills only for NZ at moment)
If it scales, then Australia.
If it works in Oz, then US in 2019.

Met with H-D leadership in August. They are focused on turn by turn nav. We are focused exclusively on community to supplement/replace obsolete hub and spoke club systems like HOG.