Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 10-06-2018, 07:16   #1
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Senators up for re-election 2018

Democrats up for reelection in 2018:
California: Dianne Feinstein (Won by 63% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 83
Connecticut: Chris Murphy (Won by 55% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 43
Delaware: Tom Carper (Won by 66% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 70
Florida: Bill Nelson (Won by 55% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 74
Hawaii: Mazie Hirono (Won by 63% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 69
Indiana: Joe Donnelly (Won by 50% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 61
Maryland: Ben Cardin (Won by 56% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 73
Massachusetts: Elizabeth Warren (Won by 54% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 67
Michigan: Debbie Stabenow (Won by 59% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 66
Minnesota: Amy Klobuchar (Won by 65% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 56
Missouri: Claire McCaskill (Won by 55% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 63
Montana: Jon Tester (Won by 49% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 60
New Jersey: Bob Menendez (Won by 59% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 63
New Mexico: Martin Heinrich (Won by 51% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 45
New York: Kirsten Gillibrand (Won by 72% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 50
North Dakota: Heidi Heitkamp (Won by 50% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 61
Ohio: Sherrod Brown (Won by 51% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 64
Pennsylvania: Bob Casey Jr. (Won by 54% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 56
Rhode Island: Sheldon Whitehouse (Won by 64% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 61
Virginia: Tom Kaine (Won by 53% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 58
Washington: Maria Cantwell (Won by 61% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 58
West Virginia: Joe Manchin (Won by 61% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 69
Wisconsin: Tammy Baldwin (Won by 51% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 54

Independents up for reelection in 2018:
Maine: Angus King (Won by 53% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 72
Vermont: Bernie Sanders (Won by 71% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age:75

Republicans up for reelection in 2018:
Arizona: Jeff Flake (Won by 49% in 2012) (He will not be running in 2018) Current age: 54
Mississippi: Roger Wicker (Won by 57% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 65
Nebraska: Deb Fischer (Won by 56% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 65
Nevada: Dean Heller (Won by 46% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 56
Tennessee: Bob Corker (Won by 65% in 2012) (He will not be running in 2018) Current age: 64
Texas: Ted Cruz (Won by 57% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 46
Utah: Orrin Hatch (Won by 65% in 2012) (He will not be running in 2018) Current age: 82 (Mitt Romney will be running in 2018) Current age: 71
Wyoming: John Barrasso (Won by 76% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 64

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 10-06-2018 at 07:22.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:50   #2
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
Wisconsin: Tammy Baldwin (Won by 51% in 2012) (Running in 2018) Current age: 54
Here's hoping Leah Vukmir (R, current state legislature) can unseat. While Baldwin spun her eventual vote (post nationwide VA uproar), she was the legislator whose office literally sat on a report RE the Tomah WI VA for over Rx of opioids for months. ("It never got to me" and a staffer eventually got thrown under the bus.)

She is an openly LGBTQABCDEFG? darling & a complete Schumer acolyte except on "touchyfeely" bills where she can claim her bi-partisanship.She belongs in those infrastructure improvements called "sewers & gutters."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:14   #3
tonyz
Area Commander

Harvard and Warren...two peas in a pod

"I have a dream, that one day we will all live in a nation where we will not be judged, hired, promoted, accepted or terminated based on the content of our character and based on our individual merit...but...based on the content of our DNA test results."

~Senator Elizabeth Warren

Will Massachusetts reject Warren’s line of thinking?

Will Harvard be found to have wrongly descriminated in their admission process based on race?

What’s old is new.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:33   #4
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Will Massachusetts reject Warren’s line of thinking?

Will Harvard be found to have wrongly discriminated in their admission process based on race?

What’s old is new.
Party lines are thicker than blood.... It will not matter. Nobody sees beyond the giant "D" up there.

Speaking of which and from the list of those up for "reelection". I'd argue that some states that is not actually the case. It's a lifetime appointment and we act like it's not every few years to check the box on that whole annoying democratic process thingy.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 17:38   #5
Airbornelawyer

There are also two special elections due to resignations. One in Mississippi to fill the seat of Thad Chochran, who resigned for health reasons, and one in Minnesota to fill the seat of Al Franken, who resigned because he couldn't keep his hands to himself and got caught.

Mississippi's is an open primary. If none of the candidates receive greater than 50%, there will be a runoff later in November. Currently, there are three main candidates - two Republicans and one Democrat - with none polling near 50%, so a runoff is likely.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 19:34   #6
CSB
Quiet Professional

TENNESSEE SENATE RACE - 2018

This race, that should have been a slam dunk for Marsha Blackburn (R) from a very red state,
has actually turned into a dead heat. Her opponent is former Governor Phil Bredesen (D).

Phil Bredesen campaigns on the:
"I'm not interested in party labels, I'll just do what's right for Tennessee, like I did as governor."

Then he brags of "during two terms, I balanced the budget."

The Tennessee state constitution requires a balanced state budget, so every governor we have ever had
since the ratification of the second constitution has been able to produce a balanced
budget.

What is telling as to his character -- or lack of character -- is how he did it.

You see, in Tennessee there are four subsets of state employees whose salaries are fixed by law:

- The Highway Patrol;
- The District Attorneys who prosecute in the name of the state,
and their counterparts,
- The District Public Defenders;
- The badge wearing gun carrying arrest authority members of the Tennessee Wildlife Agency.

When I say "fixed in law" I mean literally published, like the military pay charts,
"at xx years of service, you will be paid $yy dollars."

Legislative history and early versions of the law even specified:

In order to attract and keep dedicated, full time professionals, experts in their field, we will
pay these amounts for these years of service.

The pay charts weren't in "the Budget" or in an administrative regulation,
they were passed by both houses of the General Assembly, signed by the then Governor, and
published in the bound green volumes of Tennessee state law.

In exchange for accepting this "guaranteed" pay chart, the attorneys were required to give up all
outside practice of law. And we did. I relinquished the lease on my building, gave up my client
list, paid out my yellow pages and other advertising contracts (while unable to accept any new
clients), wrapped up my private practice of law.

After all, my pay schedule, pitifully low at the beginning, was at least guaranteed, on a scale that
carried forward into 26 steps, topping out at a respectable annual compensation.

And when I was hired, I was assured that this compensation schedule was "fixed in law" and the
only way it could be changed was be for both the Tennessee House and the Tennessee Senate to
renege by passing a new law, and it would take an unscrupulous governor to sign that law.

Well,
Bredesen did it.
Twice.

He proposed a budget of the form “notwithstanding any other provision of law, the step increases
that would otherwise be payable to these groups of state employees will not be paid. They will be
paid the same amount as they were paid last year.

And oh, by the way, the year (later two years) is gone forever, with no provision for a “catch-up”
when finances have improved.”

Were the employees permitted to engage in other work to compensate for the freezing of their pay?
No.
Remember, “we want full time professionals who will work solely for the state.”

They have reneged on their half of the bargain, but they demanded that we comply with all the
restrictions placed upon us when hired.

Integrity and honor is not something you can toss overboard in rough seas, and expect to pull it undamaged from the brine when the storm has passed.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote