Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Old 12-07-2012, 11:10   #16
2018commo
Quiet Professional

I can think of a couple of SF Medics currently "residing" at Walter Reed, who should be all over this...

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 15:48   #17
MILON
Guerrilla

Eagle5US and Beef:

Thank you for the well wishes! Its quite a process, but very well worth the effort!

I actually submitted applications to 13 programs, including IPAP, and tried to vary it up between types of schools. Some were probably long shots, but I figured I didnt know what "flavor" they are looking for, so why not?

As it stands right now, I accepted a spot at NOVA Southeastern-Fort Myers for the June class. That basically gave me some insurance while I await responses from other programs. I literally just received word today that I am 2nd on the waitlist for the April IPAP class. Also, I have an interview at Emory University next month.

The IPAP result was kind of a bummer, I have to admit. However, I am now awaiting confirmation from the recuriter that I can re-apply next round (maybe someone here would know?) and I'll give it one more shot.

Milon
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 15:53   #18
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

2nd on the wait list is actually very good. With folks deploying, pregnancies, "accepted folks" turning out to be overweight or getting in trouble prior to class starting and other deferrments...it is not unusual for wait listed folks to get in.

Study hard, best of luck.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 16:01   #19
MILON
Guerrilla

Thanks Eagle5US....thats a better perspective than the recruiter gave.
Old 12-07-2012, 19:10   #20
Beef
Quiet Professional

Milon, this is an absolute truth: I was 2nd on the Alternate list at the UAB Nurse Anesthesia Program in May of 1988. Most people applied to multiple sites.( UAB was my first choice. ) Anyway, ONE other person got into another program. They called the first alternate. No answer. They called me. I was at home asleep, since I had worked the night shift the night before, so I answered. It'll work out for you, trust me..... And I'm no recruiter!
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 21:45   #21
MILON
Guerrilla

Beef, VERY encouraging words and also much appreciated! I've planned for this contingency all along and will follow through with the plan until the end. I am still optimistic about my chances at IPAP and regardless of what happens there, I will be well into a program learning medicine by this time next year.

Thanks again!

Milon
Old 08-08-2013, 11:23   #22
LeapingGnome
Quiet Professional

Location: Roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it
Has anyone looked into this, or heard more about it recently?

An Army of sheep, led by a lion is more to be feared than an Army of lions led by a sheep
-Alexander the Great
LeapingGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 18:34   #23
GrumpyMedic
Quiet Professional

Undergrad degree programs

Someone asked about undergraduate and applied credits for 18Ds. Western Carolina University has two Emergency Medical Care programs (Management, B.A. and Pre-Med, B.S). WCU gave me 58 semester hours of credit for being a current (at the time) 18D. About 90% of the coursework can be completed online with the exception of the chemistry and physics courses which most Medical Schools require be taken face to face anyway. The program is only open to Paramedics and current/former SF Medics.
Just thought I'd throw that little tidbit out there....
GrumpyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:22   #24
Aequitas
Quiet Professional

Just Finished

Completed degree requirements for my BS in Emergency Medical Care! I walked across the stage yesterday at Western Carolina University graduating from college after starting WAY back in 2000. It was a long road that took me through three universities and one community college...I'm glad I've finally finished! If anyone needs help with the 18D degree through WCU, I'm here to help you in any way I can.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyMedic View Post
Someone asked about undergraduate and applied credits for 18Ds. Western Carolina University has two Emergency Medical Care programs (Management, B.A. and Pre-Med, B.S). WCU gave me 58 semester hours of credit for being a current (at the time) 18D. About 90% of the coursework can be completed online with the exception of the chemistry and physics courses which most Medical Schools require be taken face to face anyway. The program is only open to Paramedics and current/former SF Medics.
Just thought I'd throw that little tidbit out there....
Old 05-11-2014, 08:37   #25
Guy
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up Aequitas

Congrats mate!!!!

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 14:01   #26
SFgrunt
Asset

This really didn't sound any different than what most PA programs do. The biggest obstacle to my fellow medics on the teams was they didn't have a Bachelor's degree so applying to most PA programs was automatically out of the question. Is this NC program going to be any different?
SFgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 15:07   #27
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFgrunt View Post
This really didn't sound any different than what most PA programs do. The biggest obstacle to my fellow medics on the teams was they didn't have a Bachelor's degree so applying to most PA programs was automatically out of the question. Is this NC program going to be any different?
Most programs remain Bachelor Degree producing programs with the trend in transition to eventually all being Masters programs. So them not already having a Bachelors would not be disqualifying.
You may be thinking of them not having an Associates degree.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 05-23-2014, 15:48   #28
SFgrunt
Asset

It's my understanding that the majority are Master's programs requiring a Bachelor's degree to enter. There are still some remaining Bachelor's or Certificate programs out there, but by 2020 they will all need to be Master's programs or go bye bye. Again, that's my understanding, I may be wrong.

Here's one quick link I found from a quick Google search:

http://mdjourney.com/index-of-all-ph...nized-by-state
SFgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:53   #29
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

By 2020 that is correct...Master's will be the "norm".

With more than 350 programs nationwide, the larger university programs have already made the transition. Many of the smaller, state / community based schools are holding back on the requirement in order to encourage enrollment in their programs.

There was a lecture on this "trend" at a conference I attended in November last year; basically how we were schooling ourselves out of a salary by flooding the market, and how the trend will eventually progress to a doctoral requirement over the next 25years...thus discouraging participation in the career field with a "pay / education disparity".

After being a PA for 15yrs, I can easily see where this could be the case. Stuff to think about....

The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Old 05-24-2014, 15:29   #30
Beef
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
By 2020 that is correct...Master's will be the "norm".

With more than 350 programs nationwide, the larger university programs have already made the transition. Many of the smaller, state / community based schools are holding back on the requirement in order to encourage enrollment in their programs.

There was a lecture on this "trend" at a conference I attended in November last year; basically how we were schooling ourselves out of a salary by flooding the market, and how the trend will eventually progress to a doctoral requirement over the next 25years...thus discouraging participation in the career field with a "pay / education disparity".

After being a PA for 15yrs, I can easily see where this could be the case. Stuff to think about....
Eagle, let me show you the future as I know it. The AANA Council on Accreditation has allowed CRNA programs to be opened on every street corner, particularly in the Southeast. And has allowed existing programs to increase the number of grads that they crank out annually by multiples of 2-4. In my state, the market is so flooded that new grads are working as regular RNs in PACU and ICU just like they did before going to CRNA school. Except they now owe $140-200K in student loans.

As of this past Aug., all the CRNA programs have been mandated by the AANA to become doctoral programs, nine months longer and cost more. Yet the difference between the phD and MS and BS programs strictly lie in... doing research papers. Not clinical requirements. Indeed, the newer grads are even less clinically competent than prior grads due to increased competition for cases in the clinical sites.

Driving down salaries??? I have received a $60,000 a year pay cut in two years and make what a new grad does , because if I won't a new grad will. And I'm off to ICU.

Who benefits from this trend to puppy mills? The AANA, universities and program directors. Who loses? CRNAs across the board and patients, who are getting less competent new grads.

Am I bitter? F**k yeah!
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote