Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Old 01-24-2016, 22:48   #271
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Yet to be published translation of a book published (in Polish) in 1963 in Chicago because the (then Communist regime) would not have allowed it published in Poland.

I am assisting a friend I served with in proof-reading of the manuscript which includes some introductory information & photos of his father, who served with the original author's partisan unit as part of the Holy Cross Brigade ('Brygada') during the Second World War.

The author is Wladislaw Kolacinski (aka 'Zbik'). From the introductory info:

The author is a keen observer. As I progress through the proofing, there are some still valid insights to be drawn about the Polish people, fiercely nationalist but pragmatic as well. For instance, while they had their own feelings as well about Jews, Gypsies, Hungarians, etc., it did not keep them from forming mutual bonds in support of a cause larger than immediate prejudices, specifically the occupiers of their land, as well as concern over the communists approaching from the east (who they hated only slightly less than the Germans).

It is pretty compelling stuff and, in his responsibilities as a unit commander, he discusses candidly operational decisions (even the initial yes/no), dealing with co-opted citizenry (when discovered) who've betrayed them, to intra-unit discipline when certain actions in a village by unit members threaten "catastrophic loss of rapport" for lack of a better term, in a particular village. Oh, and the suck of forest life through a northern European winter is not neglected.

The translation approach taken results in somewhat of a stilted read at first, traditional English flow being sacrificed for accuracy; however, context easily supplies the reader with understandiing.

I personally doubt this will be a "scholarly looking" hard-bound version, but is being worked to have potential as an online resource, or ePub, or something of that nature - the latter would facilitate the hyperlinking of add'l maps/resources. Should that goal be achieved I will be back - in whatever time it takes - to provide that link, as it occurred to me that many of the lessons in this particular story may be of some value to Quiet Professionals, particularly those in the pipeline, potential 18A's, etc. And as my buddy says, he gets to help tell the story of his Dad's unit... and keep up his Polish which was the language spoken in his house before he ever learned English in a Chicago suburb. Optimism abides, as I haven't had to pull out the red pencil much.

Hoping this year (finally, argghh) to be able to post a link to my friend's work on this. Now back to work...
Sounds like a great project. I'd be in for buying a kindle copy.

I've got a copy of a Polish book on Grom translated over to English. A little stilted, but comes across as a very accurate translation.

If you come across any Polish publications on the day to day operations of 1970's-1980's era Polish Civil Resistance efforts that may or may not have had external support from the west would also be quite interesting in light of current and future environment.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 23:12   #272
Midas
Asset

Legend by Eric Blehm

American Spartan by Ann Scott Tyson
Midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 23:15   #273
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Just finished "The Sea Wolfs". This is a well written book about the history of the Vikings and their Plundering, Exploring and their effects on developing countries and kingdoms throughout Europe, the Med, Eastern Europe and the new world lands to the west of Ireland. Some very good linkage to how they effected the development of the Middle Ages trade, political change. From a history standpoint it was a very good to fill in many blanks that get overlooked during many classes of that period.

They were very interisting and had long lasting effects on what we now call Europe.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:22   #274
Flagg
Area Commander

Blueprint for Revolution: How to Use Rice Pudding, Lego Men, and Other Nonviolent Techniques to Galvanize Communities, Overthrow Dictators, or Simply Change the World by Srdja Popovic
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:40   #275
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
If you come across any Polish publications on the day to day operations of 1970's-1980's era Polish Civil Resistance efforts that may or may not have had external support from the west would also be quite interesting in light of current and future environment.
Trackin' with you. I'll ask my friend, as he had to acquire some other writings to try to follow the "where are they now" questions. Will see.

Thanks for the wishes. Kindle... yep that's what I was trying to think of, being an old paper FOG myself.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:48   #276
cbtengr
Area Commander

Tom Horn in Life and Legend by Larry Ball.
Old 01-25-2016, 13:03   #277
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command by Edwin Coddington

For the USCW buff, an exhaustive review of the politics of leadership, personalities and movement of forces starting in June of '63 throughout the entire campaign. The best deep-dive into Gettysburg that is out there and the "guide" for the battlefield volunteers at Gettysburg NMP.

Next on the list is the Guide to the Battle of Gettysburg: Second Edition, Revised and Expanded (U.S. Army War College Guides to Civil War Battles)

James Madison

Last edited by Ret10Echo; 01-26-2016 at 05:44. Reason: Updating as I read
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 13:23   #278
akv
Area Commander

" Ronald Reagan; An American Life"

I reread his autobiography every couple of years to remind myself what a great leader is.
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 13:52   #279
cowboykpy
Quiet Professional

It's a two-fer

Left of Bang and Debt of Honor

Left of Bang is a pretty good read, puts some form and definition to what is usually a gut feeling or "spidey" sense and gives some good basic guidelines for tactical decision making and situational awareness. Highly recommend it if you haven't read it.

I re-read all of the original Tom Clancy stuff when I want some good entertainment every few years.

"We are now engaged in a great...War, testing whether this nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure."

Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
cowboykpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 19:09   #280
Penn
Area Commander

LTC David Grossman - On Killing

No comment of mine will add anything to this exhaustive study on agression.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 00:26   #281
Sentone
Asset

Lost Heart of Asia

Lost Heart of Asia by Colin Thubron
The Only Thing Worth Dying For by Eric Blehm
Sentone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:04   #282
Sentone
Asset

Shantaram

Shantaram is a 2003 novel by Gregory David Roberts, in which a convicted Australian bank robber and heroin addict who escaped from Pentridge Prison flees to India. The novel is commended by many for its vivid portrayal of tumultuous life in Bombay.

The audio version is about 43 hours of listening. It's an amazingly well-written tale that begins in Australia and find the main character fighting the Russians alongside the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan 30 hours later.
Sentone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 15:31   #283
Badger52
Area Commander

Organized Crime: The Unvarnished Truth about Gov't

Thomas J. DiLorenzo (via Mises Institute). ~230 pages, incl indices. Most timely.

Free PDF available here.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 20:28   #284
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Reading the battle of the faulklands. Great read so far.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:53   #285
frostfire
Area Commander

Influence Warfare
Edited by James Forest

Communicating with Intelligence
James Major

very dry, but enlightening...and someone have to do it
Help to see why it's not as clear cut as MSM wants to portray from collection all the way to policy making

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote