Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

View Poll Results: Who do you support for President in 2016? (Summer 2015)
Jeb Bush 8 5.93%
Ted Cruz 30 22.22%
Carly Fiorina 4 2.96%
Linsey Graham 0 0%
Mike Huckabee 2 1.48%
Rand Paul 23 17.04%
Rick Perry 5 3.70%
Marco Rubio 6 4.44%
Donald Trump 16 11.85%
Scott Walker 13 9.63%
Someone else 28 20.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2015, 09:48   #106
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
What happens when the "everyone" to whom Trump listens change their thinking. Or the "everyone" changes. Many principled conservatives go to Washington (or NYC or other liberal bastions), and find themselves surrounded by people with derogatory opinions of conservatism. Rather than trying to argue with them that their opinions of conservatism is wrong, they at first tend to claim that they're not like "those" conservatives, but that they are one of the "good" ones. Having then ceded to the left the right to define the Right, they eventually "moderate" their own views so as not to be ostracized by their new peers. McCain is a classic example of that. I first met him at a College Republicans event when he was a relatively junior Senator, and he had strong views on many issues. With time, his desire to fit in led to the McCain whom the media loved to label a "maverick" for criticizing his fellow GOPers. We saw in 2008 just how much good will from the media that actually earned him, which should have been a wake-up call to McCain, but sadly was not.

Trump is even less principled than most Washington politicians, which is really saying a lot. The only thing that matters to Trump is Trump. He may be saying the right things about a handful of issues, but given his history there is no reason to believe he will actually act on them, or furthermore, that he will actually maintain those views once circumstances change. And there is a long list of issues of concern to many, if not most, conservative and Republican voters - from gun control to abortion to state-run health care, among others - where Trump inspires little confidence. The one thing you can count on from Trump is that everything will be about Trump and Trump will never be wrong about Trump, and any failures will be someone else's fault, a trait which reminds me of a certain President from Hawaii.

Regarding the 2016 election, I go back to an observation I made in previous election cycles. The only way you are going to find a candidate who agrees with your views on every issue is to run yourself, and no candidate is going to be right on every issue or even have an expertise in every issue area (most governors tend to be less informed and weaker on foreign and defense policy, for example). Therefore, you should be looking for the candidate whom you feel to be the most principled and who demonstrates the leadership abilities to choose the best advisors and actually heed their advice.
And Zero was? Zero is an idiot that got half this nation to vote for a lazy, drug using, unintelligent, con artist ("foreign exchange student" listed on his college application) liar, muslim and general piece of shit.

Mr. Trump is loud, intelligent and a true American in every way and I've no doubts if elected he will turn this nation upside down for the better.

You can keep your "principled" Boehner's, I'll take Mr. Trump.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:46   #107
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

And.....

I've no doubts you'll ever find Mr Trump "bowing" to a saudi king.....

Both sides hate Trump, that's good enough reason for me to support him.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:56   #108
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
You can keep your "principled" Boehner's, I'll take Mr. Trump.
That crying piece of shit, John Boehner, gets an "F" rating (35%) from Conservative Review. Mitch McConnell isn't much better. He also received an "F" rating (52%).

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:58   #109
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-TX View Post
That crying piece of shit, John Boehner, gets an "F" rating (35%) from Conservative Review. Mitch McConnell isn't much better. He also received an "F" rating (52%).
Yeah, I could just see Mr. Trump "crying", not.

Boehner, McConnell and McCain had their spines removed years ago.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:16   #110
Box
Quiet Professional

Finding a candidate that is the most principled is like finding a cow-patty that smells the most like a rose...
...its just another way of saying the lesser of two evils.

I'm tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.

I am aware of the level of integrity and "principle" that emanates from the campaign trail. I'm ready to give up the 'lesser of two evils' approach and vote for the candidate that is simply offering to do the most amount of damage to the current system on my behalf.

The other side of the aMErican political spectrum have overtly voted in a liberal axe-man to lay waste to as much of the oppositions traditional beliefs...
TWICE
...UNAPOLOGETICALLY, voted in an axe-man - TWICE

I'm not interested in principles anymore. I'm interested in voting for the "thumb-breaking-debt-collector-on-the-docks" version of Rocky Balboa - NOT the "happy-family-guy-with-a robot-butler" Rocky Balboa.

Reflecting on aMErican politics since 2008 and then suddenly making the observation that Donald Trump is a power hungry camera whore with no true patriotic loyalty and even less political experience would make me think someone had spent the last 6 years in a state of cryogenic stasis

Did I mention, I'm no longer interested in principles?
I want to vote for a guy that is going to walk into the white house and treat the place like Led Zepplin treated hotel rooms...
...someone that raises such a fucking tremendous stink from the aMErican people that they finally realize "it ain't all about YOU"

Maybe THEN, aMErica will demand accountability.

...until then, national politics will simply be like waiting to see who is going to be on the next season of dancing with the stars
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 07-29-2015 at 11:19.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:20   #111
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

Conservative Review has an interesting analysis of the Republican presidential candidates. They divide them into three categories:
  1. Change Agents (Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, Mike Huckabee, Bobby Jindal, Rick Santorum, Rand Paul and Donald Trump)
  2. Reformers (Carly Fiorina, Rick Perry, Marco Rubio and Scott Walker)
  3. Progressives (Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Lindsey Graham and John Kasich)

Their definitions of each category and the voters they appeal to:

Quote:
1. Change Agents

Description: These are candidates that represent a paradigm shift in some way. Perhaps they plan on commandeering the bully pulpit to communicate a transformative message? Maybe they represent a paradigm-shifting constituency? Or it could be they have a message/persona that represents a departure from the status quo.

The kind of voters they appeal to:
Those who are more than just frustrated with the current direction of the country, but are looking for someone to communicate a message or advance a policy that is dramatically different. These voters tend to be less party people and more movement-oriented. They also don’t really seem to care what the media thinks, even Fox News, about their candidates. In fact, the collective disdain of the media might even further cement their support for a given candidate. They’re looking for a president who doesn’t just move the needle, but moves the center back to the right after the age of Obama.

2. Reformers

Description: These candidates focus more on good, common sense government than ideology. That isn't to say they’re not ideological, but they believe they can only be ideological up until the point it gets in the way of what they see as responsible governance. Instead of running on issues, these candidates are running on resume. While Change Agents emphasize vision and values, Reformers stress accomplishment and/or policy.

The kind of voters they appeal to: Those who believe the system is still salvageable with the right manager. Or who want to avoid all-out civil war within the Republican Party by finding a candidate who may not be the boldest, but instead the most amenable to all sides (they assume that’s still possible). Reformers also appeal to conservatives who think the American people will not elect a true movement conservative as president

3. Progressives

Description: These are the candidates who believe “you have to lose the primary to win the general election.” They see the issues in the party platform the conservative base cares the most about as needless distractions at best, or impeding the winning of elections at worst. They’re not having an existential debate with the Left, only one of dueling vested interests. Since they accept many of the Left’s worldview premises and are therefore progressives themselves, their big dispute with the Left is whether to empower corporations (their interests) or government (the Left’s interests).

The kind of voters they appeal to: Party loyalists whose credo is “a bad Republican is still better than a good Democrat.” Those who believe the conservative base has gone Colonel Kurtz. Voters that aren’t ideologically driven but driven by celebrity, polls, and “electability.” Progressives who want to see more public-private partnerships on implementing policy as opposed to the pure statism advocated by Obama.

Link
As of today, my choice for president is Ted Cruz, but I would likely vote for any of the other change agents if they are nominated.

If a reformer is the nominee, I am undecided. I think we are past the point in our current state of political discourse where a reformer can be successful.

There is no way in hell I will vote for one of the progressive candidates. Might as well let the democrat nominee win and hasten the slouch towards Gomorah. The sooner we get to the tipping point, the sooner we can start repairing the institutions modern liberalism has destroyed.

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:36   #112
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Conservative Review has an interesting analysis of the Republican presidential candidates. They divide them into three categories:
  1. Change Agents (Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, Mike Huckabee, Bobby Jindal, Rick Santorum, Rand Paul and Donald Trump)
  2. Reformers (Carly Fiorina, Rick Perry, Marco Rubio and Scott Walker)
  3. Progressives (Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Lindsey Graham and John Kasich)

Their definitions of each category and the voters they appeal to:

As of today, my choice for president is Ted Cruz, but I would likely vote for any of the other change agents if they are nominated.

If a reformer is the nominee, I am undecided. I think we are past the point in our current state of political discourse where a reformer can be successful.

There is no way in hell I will vote for one of the progressive candidates. Might as well let the democrat nominee win and hasten the slouch towards Gomorah. The sooner we get to the tipping point, the sooner we can start repairing the institutions modern liberalism has destroyed.
IMHO, Ben Carson, Mike Huckabee, Bobby Jindal, and Rick Santorum are not change agents but are reformers.

I would send a check to the RNC only if one of the remaining change agents is nominated. Personally, I prefer Cruz or Rand Paul. The others are pretenders.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 15:06   #113
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Screw the two of them, I wish that Rep. Mark Meadows' resolution would pass and kick John Bonehead off his seat as the House Speaker. Both Bonehead and McConnell need to be removed.

America didn't vote in the GOP to have these clowns be just like the DemocRats!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:22   #114
craigepo
Quiet Professional

This link is to an interview with a leading, fire-breathing liberal. Kind of interesting as to her take on the GOP candidates.

http://www.salon.com/2015/07/30/ted_...llary_clinton/

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 14:59   #115
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
I could not agree more! Further, he has been papar thin when it come to taking a stand on anything; our weeping, folding Speaker of the House.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 15:38   #116
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
Ted Cruz supporters, please donate using this link: https://donate.tedcruz.org/c/FBCA0007

I encourage everyone to read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Truth-Rei...=ted+cruz+book
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:59   #117
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I rest my case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaZGaJrd3x8#t=33

Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:08   #118
Pete
Quiet Professional

Trump

Trump is tapping into the mistrust of a number Republicans (Conservatives) who are worn out by the same old dance routine of establishment candidates.

The base gets fire up, energized and get "conservatives" elected at the state and national level only to see them go all "establishment" after they get sworn in.

So what happens? The few real conservatives get pushed into a corner while the rest kneel and kiss the boots of the Speaker of the House and the Senate Majority Leader.

The right is feed up with the Republican leadership pulling "Lucy and the Football" time after time.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:38   #119
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Trump is tapping into the mistrust of a number Republicans (Conservatives) who are worn out by the same old dance routine of establishment candidates.
Mr. Trump is tapping into the anger generated by the spineless lying RINO's and lying career pols.

I've gone as far as leaving the GOP and now have a voting ID that say "No Party".

That said I will vote for Mr. Trump for many reasons #1 I believe he's a man of action and he has a spine. Which is why both sides hate him.

Half this "nation" voted for a spineless coward that's never held a job and had zero pol experience and folks are afraid of Mr. Trumps "lack" of experience?

I really do think we are de-evolving and at a very rapid pace. It's no longer about the have's and have not's, its about the low and high IQ folks. And the low is outbreeding the high at 25-1.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:21   #120
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
Well tell him he was not shooting a Machine Gun....... Just plays into the uneducated Anti Gun Idiots
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote