Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 07-20-2015, 05:59   #16
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymullins View Post
I don't know the details here, but how does one, as a POW refuse the wishes of your jailers? Surely he would have had no choice if the Vietcong wanted to repatriate him?
I think he did refuse,, but not for the obvious,,

I think his dad told him if he comes home he will be court marshaled for his carrier fu$$-up...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 07-20-2015 at 06:15.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:34   #17
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
And for heroism??

Who was the VN era fighter pilot that single handedly tried to
saved/sink a US Navy Aircraft Carrier??

http://rockcreekfreepress.tumblr.com...ccains-records
I was on Okinawa when ADM McCain became CINCPAC and that was roughly the rumor going around. Another was that the other pilot accidentally launched the missile. I think that the latter became the "truth" since he didn't survive.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 07-20-2015 at 12:36.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 21:05   #18
blacksmoke
Like My Mankini?

John McCain served in Viet Nam
John McCain volunteered to be a fighter jet pilot, risking his life to bring the fight to the VC
John McCain cannot fully raise one of his arms because he was tortured as a POW

In my eyes John Mcain is a hero. Donald Trump is a loudmouth.
blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 21:17   #19
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Trump never served. (along with the big O and Clinton)
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 21:28   #20
Mills
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Trump screws with the left and draws out some issues that occasionally smokes out some Republicans with weaker spines and stomachs to comment instead of hide. His presence in a debate might make for interesting discussion.

Trump was wrong on this and I don't like McCain.

Trump does not appear to be presidential material - if he ever was.

Damn good self-promoter though and that appears necessary for political office.

Agree that a Trump/McCain argument is at best a loser.
I would like to point out regardless of how I fell about what he said.............

The utmost professionalism by Ted Cruz in this whole situation. Not a word in regards to personal feeling or bias. Everyone is bashing Trump because they are scared of him (IMO). Doubt he will be president, however I hope he can at least screw things up for Jeb Bush and the other RINOs.
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:59   #21
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post

1) I interpreted Ted Cruz's actions to be a bit calculated side as opposed to straight up professional, but I could be wrong.

2) he will not support any GOP candidates but instead will run as a third party candidate. This means that he could well hand the election to Hillary Clinton.
1) agreed, When a stupid person opens their mouth, all will recognize,, but when someone keeps their mouth shut, you have a 50-50 chance of guessing their intent..

2) might make an interesting election. I am not sure the USA is ready for a multi party election, but it has proven to be effect in other countries??

McCain has survived much and his time as a POW should be lauded.

but after 45 yrs,, I think it's time to detach the hero of the past from the politician that he has become.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:49   #22
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymullins View Post
I don't know the details here, but how does one, as a POW refuse the wishes of your jailers? Surely he would have had no choice if the Vietcong wanted to repatriate him?

McCain has a few nicknames given to him by fellow POW's one being the Hanoi songbird.

McCain would have had NO authority to accept "special favor nor parole" from the enemy ahead of those who had been there longer. He would have had to have the permission of the Senior Ranking Officer in captivity to accept it. To accept it would have been a violation of our code of conduct and would have been a killer for McCain's future in the military or anything else as well as injured his fathers legacy and position if he didn't hold him accountable with UCMJ actions. No doubt the NVA knew he could not accept but had he accepted it would have been a huge victory for the North in terms of morale and exploitation of those still in captivity. He was a golden egg to their cause.

According to many who were there he received his arm injury from the ejection and the following shoddy medical care and lack of rehab not torture. Many of his fellow POW's say he received better than average treatment BECAUSE of who is father was.

Honorable in the fact he didn't accept release.......yes, Heroic.....No, I reserve heroic in the face of the enemy under those conditions for men like Robby Risner, Jeremiah Denton, James Stockdale, Nick Rowe, James Thompson survivors of the Cuban program

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 07-22-2015 at 06:16.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:16   #23
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post

Honorable in the fact he didn't accept release.......yes, Heroic.....No, I reserve heroic in the face of the enemy under those conditions for men like Robby Risner, Jeremiah Denton, James Stockdale, Nick Rowe, James Thompson sirvivors of the Cuban program
My Take away was that Trump didn't call out McCain for is individual actions as a POW. He questioned the status of all POW's. If McCain wasn't such a political lightning rod this discourse might be different. Replace his name with one of the above. Would Trump's statement still be acceptable?

Would it be OK if Hillary says it?

LHC
Old 07-21-2015, 09:42   #24
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
My Take away was that Trump didn't call out McCain for is individual actions as a POW. He questioned the status of all POW's. If McCain wasn't such a political lightning rod this discourse might be different. Replace his name with one of the above. Would Trump's statement still be acceptable?

LHC
There you go, using common sense again.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:38   #25
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post

LHC
My comments were in reference to the question and some of the comments that his time in captivity alone making him heroic. I did not read into as a dig at all POW's I saw it as dirty politics in reference to McCain the looney toon.

If Hillary said it, it would have been the same simply because I think both are turds.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote