Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Vital Signs

Old 01-03-2013, 23:49   #1
SMSHCadet
Asset

possible pulhes 18x dq

Hello,
I would like to thank ahead of time for any responses or efforts put forth by anyone who answers to this thread. First off as the sticky asked to state my medical background which is none at all, i am a junior in high school and have had the desire to be an 18bravo weapons sergeant for as long as i remember. I had heard of the PULHES rating system for the military before and while reading "18d but confused" in this forum the asker posted an MOS pdf which stated each MOS required PULHES score. The required score is 111221 . Now heres my question when i was in the womb i had a stroke which left me with minor cerlby paulsy which only effected my right arm. Fortunatly but unfortunatly it only effected me and not my two brothers also in the womb . As fate would have it i am the only one who wishes to join the army which subsequently checks for such things. The effect of the stroke was not as strong a sensation in my right arm which no one could tell me but it alllows me to take alot of pain which is a good thing (a partially torn bicep from skiing and a hockey stick to my arm that broke it from a fight with my brother when i was younger ) . The downside to it was i can not touch my right thumb to my right pinkie finger and thats it , everything else is good to go. As maturity goes i have started to do therapy to my hand to improve the pinkies functionability because being an 18bravo is my life goal i figured why leave it up to chance. So i would like you profesionals to weight in and tell me if it is a futile atempt at an 18x contract or i should just sign with a conventional unit and apply when the opurtunity arises. Plus i have read storys about active duty marines,army soldiers and even rangers including special forces lose extremitys and continue to serve Active Duty. I know i can excel if given the opurtunity at my life goal but i would unconditionaly appreciate any input you profesionals are willing to give.

Last edited by SMSHCadet; 01-03-2013 at 23:54.
SMSHCadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 23:59   #2
Dozer523
BANNED USER

This post is . . . something else, thanks.
Start by learning what all the letters in PULHES stand for and then figure out which one(s) would be adversely impacted by a high tolerance to pain and not being able to touch your pinkie with your thumb.

Generally, we advice brand new folks to use the search button before starting a new thread (on their second post) but I'm pretty sure this has not come up before you.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 00:42   #3
SMSHCadet
Asset

Thank you very much, i did my research and my handicap "interesting challenge" would be under U and i figure it would put me as a 2 but i think that exagerates my challenge and undercuts my chance without even getting the oportunity to prove my self and i would appreciate anyone elses opinion very much or else ill be waiting till judgement day (meps) to descide my future to atempt the rite of an 18b weapons sergeant

Last edited by SMSHCadet; 01-04-2013 at 00:51.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:21   #4
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
This post is . . . something else, thanks.
Start by learning...
I don't want to bring back the Grammar Nazi. Wait, yes I do!

Along with learning about PULHES, please (please, please) take a little more time (or a lot, as each case may require) to check your grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Your writing reflects you, and the care you put into something. It is somewhat (okay, hell, very) disrespectful to fail to put forth maximum effort in those areas.

SF is not just about kicking doors, pulling triggers, and looking cool. Even 18Bravos have to communicate. Sometimes that communication will be in written form. Using computers as the platform for this communication makes checking grammar, spelling, and punctuation much more easy to accomplish.

(Posts such as these make me doubt my efficacy in my many years of high school classroom instruction. I do, however, take comfort in knowing I was NOT an English teacher, most of whom now are not even required to teach English, instead teaching students to "feel good" about their writing, and not stifling their creativity by correcting their grammar, punctuation, or spelling. )
Old 01-04-2013, 18:27   #5
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

1. WHAT ZONIE SAID> DEAR LORD

2. The appropriate Army Regulation for you to read is 40-501. You will see in there where you will be disqualified from initial entry into the service under multiple sections of Chapter 2.

3. HOWEVER - it doesn't mean you cannot apply for a waiver. Now - the fact that you require physical therapy NOW means you are not going to be qualified and your waiver will be denied. Your "diminished pain sensation" is actually NOT a good thing when it comes to your entrance physical. Should you desire to pursue entry into the Army, you will most likely need letters from (at a minimum): your neurologist with nerve conduction study testing results, and your physical / occupational therapists both stating that you have no deficiency which would impede your full duty performance. These letters and your waiver request would then go to the USAREC (US Army Recruiting Command) SGN to get blessed off in order to get you into the Army. I can tell you that the chances of the Special Warfare Center SGN giving you a waiver for 18X contract with your deficiencies is slim to none. BUT - should you actually get into the military and demonstrate success at a combat arms training program and assignment - these things would be in your favor for an application after your first assignment.

Good luck - better grammar.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Last edited by Eagle5US; 01-04-2013 at 18:43.
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 18:42   #6
SMSHCadet
Asset

Thank you

Thank you very much for all your inputs which are invaluable to me and I have duly noted my grammer mistakes.
Old 01-04-2013, 20:21   #7
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSHCadet View Post
Thank you very much for all your inputs which are invaluable to me and I have duly noted my grammer mistakes.
Outstanding answer! Hang in there and keep pursuing your dream. You have time, and attitude, on your side.

(Oh, heck! I can't resist. There should probably be a comma before the "and" (Remember FANBOYS: For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So. Also, its "grammar".)

Last edited by ZonieDiver; 01-04-2013 at 20:55. Reason: I haven't done any in a few days.
ZonieDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 23:10   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
SF is not just about kicking doors, pulling triggers, and looking cool. Even 18Bravos have to communicate. Sometimes that communication will be in written form. Using computers as the platform for this communication makes checking grammar, spelling, and punctuation much more easy to accomplish.
Sorry, banging a weapons stock on a hollow tree and grunting does not count as communication.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05   #9
Dozer523
BANNED USER

GRAMMAR NAZIs Post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSHCadet View Post
Valuable means that the object can be valued (notice it is value+able), which has come to have the added conotation of it being worth a relatively large amount of money, but in the original sense, anything that has value set by the market is "valuable."

Invaluable means that it is not able to be valued. This can mean several things, from it is worth so much that assigning a value is meaningless or impossible, or that it is literally beyond value, such as people or some would say great works of art. Because valuable has come to mean that it is worth a substantial amount, invaluable has been used in the opposite meaning, that it is worth very little (the instances in the OED are from 1640, 1803, and 1865, so it is not very common today).
Source(s):
Oxford English Dictionary

Point? Just say what you mean clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Sorry, banging a weapons stock on a hollow tree and grunting does not count as communication.
Ran that past an 18B he scoffed. He said, "duz two!"

Last edited by Dozer523; 01-05-2013 at 09:09.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:36   #10
Ghost_Team
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
It could if he was an old school 18E who passed Morse code but got recycled later on for somehting else.
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken"
Ghost_Team is offline   Reply With Quote