Old 01-24-2007, 19:49   #1
bubba
Quiet Professional

MG3 question??

Simple, but not so simple question, does the MG3 (upgraded german mg 42/43) shoot the same ammo as the M240/M60. I was thinking that it did, but a couple of Bravo's are telling me other wise?? I aint openly questioning their competence, just sounded funny that a NATO country would have a non-NATO round for their GPMG. Thanx, Paul

Last edited by bubba; 01-24-2007 at 20:00.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 19:59   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
Simple, but not so simple question, does the MG3 (upgraded german mg 42/42) shoot the same ammo as the M240/M60. I was thinking that it did, but a couple of Bravo's are telling me other wise?? I aint openly questioning their competence, just sounded funny that a NATO country would have a non-NATO round for their GPMG. Thanx, Paul
7.62 NATO ammo is the same. The ability to use NATO belts when firing linked 7.62 NATO was added to the MG3 in 1968 (e.g. the US M13/German DM13 Link).

The MG42 (as well as the 7.62 NATO MG1 and MG2) used a metal non-disintegrating, linked belt which is incompatible with the M13 links.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 20:24   #3
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

The Germans do use a 50rd. non-disentigrating link belt but it will feed the US belts. IIRC it's "sunny side up" for "auto-getum". Otherwise it's the same as any other 7.62 NATO belt fed. Peregrino

ETA: I may be confused with the HK21 on the "sunny side up" part - it's been years since I screwed with an MG3 and my references are out of reach. You'll have to file a report when you return from the range.
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 21:07   #4
bubba
Quiet Professional

Cool, I will try to get the arms room to sign me one out tomorrow and "have a go at it" on the range, Thanxs, Paul
Old 01-24-2007, 21:20   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
Cool, I will try to get the arms room to sign me one out tomorrow and "have a go at it" on the range, Thanxs, Paul
Bring the spare barrel and change it often.

You won't believe how easy it is.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 21:36   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Bring the spare barrel and change it often.

You won't believe how easy it is.

TR

Very true Boss - just a minor tweak. It's not about "how easy it is". If you're playing hard you have to change it frequently. The cyclic is either 900 or 1200 rpm (flip the rate reducer) and it's a pretty light barrel. It can be somewhat "sporting" off the bipod. There are no provisions for offhand or assault type firing (for good reason). Peregrino

A quickie reference site: http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg08-e.htm

Caliber: 7,62mm NATO (.308 Win)
Weigth: 11,5kg on bipod, plus tripod 25kg
Length: 1225 mm
Length of barrel: 565 mm
Feeding: belt 50 or 250 rounds
Rate of fire: 1200 rounds/min
V0 820 m/s

MG3 is one of the most popular universal MGs in the World. In fact, MG3 is modified version of the MG42, German WW2 era machinegun, adopted to fire 7.62mm NATO rounds instead of the 7.92mm Mauser rounds.
MG42 was worlds first truly "universal" machinegun, designed for use as both light MG on bipods or as heavy MG on tripod or AA or pintle mount. MG3 started as MG42/59 in 1959, and since 1968 MG3 itself is in mass production.
MG3 is exported to Chile, Dennmark, Italy, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Norway, Austria, Portuguese and Turkey. MG3 clones are built in Yugoslavia and other countries.

MG3 is belt-fed, air-cooled machinegun. It has short moving barrel with bolt locking into the barrel extension via two rollers (note that MG3 used roller locking, unlike the HK G3 series of the weapons, that used roller delayed blowback). MG3 has quick change barrel, that could be replaced after every 150 rounds fired with practical rate of fire of 200-250 rounds per minute. Weapon fires from open bolt. It has one of the highest rates of fire in its class and rated as extremely reliable (as one may expect from such a time- and war-proven design).
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:18   #7
Tuukka
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
The Germans do use a 50rd. non-disentigrating link belt but it will feed the US belts. IIRC it's "sunny side up" for "auto-getum". Otherwise it's the same as any other 7.62 NATO belt fed. Peregrino

ETA: I may be confused with the HK21 on the "sunny side up" part - it's been years since I screwed with an MG3 and my references are out of reach. You'll have to file a report when you return from the range.
The German non-disintegrating belt is the DM1, 50 round belts which can be connected together and yes the links are on top.
Old 01-25-2007, 18:13   #8
bubba
Quiet Professional

The HHC guys couldn't confirm if the two they had were gauged or not, so we left them put up. We did how ever shoot 3800 fifty cal, and 3200 7.62mm. Not too mention the several hundred .45 rounds through the UMP's. A good day to say the least, thanx Paul
Old 02-26-2007, 16:59   #9
ABN_FO
Auxiliary

The search button is such an awe inspiring tool.... An Iraqi Army unit I am working with here, just received a number of MG-3's and I had the same question about the ammo and link compatability. I figured I would check here first and SEARCH before I asked. Many thanks gentlemen.

MSG David Hurt
SSG Marvin Trost
SSG Thor Ingraham
SPC Edwin Roodhouse
PFC Nicholas Messmer
ABN_FO is offline   Reply With Quote