Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18B

Old 09-24-2009, 18:55   #1
commosgt
Asset

Rock Island Arsenal Meduim weight M14 Barrel

OK, I only ask here because I cant find this info anywhere. I got tasked with putting together the design for our Brigades Designated Marksman Rifles, I want to go off the M14. My question is what is the twist rate of the Rock Island Arsenal Medium weight M14 barrel? I believe its 1:11 but I dont want to go in front of the 6 with half assed info. I appreciate the help
commosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 19:01   #2
Richard
Quiet Professional

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/m14typeriflesd.htm

Gutes lesen.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 19:10   #3
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Why are you basing it off the M14?

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 19:29   #4
commosgt
Asset

M14's are currently being used as DMRs in Iraq and A-stan, they want the 7.62mm, yet the unit wont spring for M110's because they feel that makes the "Soldier stand out to much" After they told me that I suggested going off of the AR platform so the Soldier still have a weapon that looks somewhat like an M4, and they denied that.

Richard - I had looked at that site before, and all im getting from it is that barrels are ether 1:10 , 1:11 , or 1:12. Though I could very possibly be reading wrong or over looking something. I do appreciate the help
Old 09-24-2009, 20:19   #5
Novice Snowflake
BANNED USER

Try calling or e-mailing the firearms manufacturer.
Novice Snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 20:22   #6
commosgt
Asset

Ive called the Rock Island Arsenal Armament team, non of them are sure and cant point me in the direction of someone who would know
Old 09-24-2009, 20:41   #7
commosgt
Asset

Ill give that forum a Try, and I cant remember off the top of my head what the M24 rifling is, and my notebook is in my truck.
Old 09-24-2009, 20:41   #8
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Using the present ammunition the 1 in 11 will work fine. The present DMR is M14 because they have a butt load to get rid of. You can get some good ones but there are some real sinkers in the pile as well. What are you looking at for a stock and scope?

Stay away from the M110, several units are now refusing to carry them and are locking them in conex containers and asking for the M24s back.

Rick B.

Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 09-24-2009, 20:49   #9
commosgt
Asset

Ive only used the M110 when I was at school, and I wasn't a fan of the trigger. Im going to propose the McMillin M2A stock, but they seam to only want items they can get through the Army Supply System. I want to do a Leupold MK4 M1 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm for glass. We have an LT who has never deployed and is a target shooter who is telling me we ONLY need 10x optics and if we do get the variable mag. optics that they don't need to be front focal. My concern is ranging, and close (within 300m) moving target engagements. Im quickly learning that this unit will take the opinion of someone who has never done the job but is an officer over that of an NCO who has done the job. But hey thats Army life
Old 09-24-2009, 21:20   #10
commosgt
Asset

I will do that if were going with M14s, my original proposal was for accurized ARs so 10x was plenty.
Old 09-24-2009, 21:24   #11
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Your LT is demonstrating exactly how much he does not know about sniping. The variable is a must for more than just close work, as night work and dusk work requires lower powers. Front focal planes are a definite must as that keeps mil a mil at all powers and not some multiple based on the power you set the scope on. Also all the variable 2d focal planes have a slightly different location where the mils are correct. Stress will cause a screw up when you try to use the mils for ranging, wind holds, range holds, etc.

Keep the gas piston and chamber clean as that is the main reason for failure to feed as the bolt will not come far enough back to feed the round. Keep pressure off the magazine as that will cause failure to feed and change your zero. Hold the trigger to the rear all the way through recoil or you will double tap the weapon and the second round will be tracked on Air Force radar. Keep the weapon clean as it will shift zero as it becomes dirty and the barrel harmonics change.

Teach your guys trophy trigger for multiple target engagement. It will allow them to engage faster with a better trigger pull. Keep your trigger finger towards the bottom of the trigger so that is just about touching the trigger guard. This will give you better sensitivity on the trigger and better used the leverage of the trigger to dis engage the sear.

Hope some of these helped. Good luck with your LT. Invite him onto here and some "real snipers" will attempt to educate him.

I have a couple of years doing this with the M21 before the M24.

Rick B.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 09-24-2009, 21:33   #12
commosgt
Asset

I was our company STL at my last unit, got to this new unit and found out Combined Arms BNs dont have company teams, they offered me a slot on at BN snipers but all they do when deployed is the BCs PSD and I have no desire in doing that. This LT has been to the SEO course and thinks that makes him a Sniper expert.
Old 09-24-2009, 23:02   #13
Razor
Quiet Professional

You know, if you start heading to Butts AAF, then make a sharp right at the tank trail intersection and go up the hill, there's probably one or two guys up there that can give you a hand with all this. Heck, some of them may even visit this board once in a while.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote