Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Vital Signs

Old 03-03-2004, 14:18   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Lariam

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, March 3, 2004) - The surgeon general of the Army told Congress that there is no correlation between the anti-malaria drug Lariam and a recent spike in suicides in combat zones.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 16:18   #2
Julia Mead
Asset

my intro

Thank you so much for permitting me to join. I'm a graduate student at Columbia University, researching my masters thesis on the history and neurotoxic side effects of an anti-malarial drug, mefloquine hydrochloride. It was marketed under the name Lariam. Mefloquine has been prescribed to military personnel deployed overseas, as well as Peace Corps volunteers and civilian travelers, for decades. I am interested in speaking with active-duty personnel and vets of any overseas conflict who have taken mefloquine and experienced its side effects. These can range from temporary discomforts, such as dizzyiness and nausea, to more severe, including psychosis, hallucinations, depression, and suicidal ideation. It has also been linked to vestibular (balance) problems and seizures.
Through postings on other sites, I've been contacted by dozens of vets and active duty personnel and am amazed at how generous they've been with their time and stories. Those stories are enormously helpful to my research.
Please send e-mail to <jcm2043@columbia.edu> and I'd be happy to tell you more about my thesis. And do include your phone number so I can save you the long-distance call to NY.
Regards to all,
Julia Mead
Julia Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:03   #3
zipgunlead
Quiet Professional

Lariam

The surgeon general can say what he will but I have had some weird boogerman dreams after taking it. Anyone else here have that occur ?
zipgunlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:54   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

zipgunlead,

You might want to send an email to the "graduate student at Columbia University" (see the post above yours).

Team Sergeant

By the way, Welcome aboard!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:47   #5
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipgunlead
The surgeon general can say what he will but I have had some weird boogerman dreams after taking it. Anyone else here have that occur ?
I have been taking it off and on since 1989, and prescribing it about the same amount of time, so my experience with it sould be considered somewhat limited.
So...in my limited experience, I have had lots of folks with side effects off of doxy, and zero folks with reported side effect after Lariam. Personally I have had no ill affects at all. In my limited experience...

I guess the real question should be is the ONLY TIME you have wierd boogerman dreams after taking Lariam, or have you had weird boogerman dreams othertimes as well? CHildhood? Teen years? Bad dream as an adult? Times of stress or worry? After a bad movie? Bad date perhaps?
And yes, by all means...WELCOME ABOARD!

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Last edited by Eagle5US; 01-31-2007 at 07:51.
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:05   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Mead
Thank you so much for permitting me to join. I'm a graduate student at Columbia University, researching my masters thesis on the history and neurotoxic side effects of an anti-malarial drug, mefloquine hydrochloride. It was marketed under the name Lariam. Mefloquine has been prescribed to military personnel deployed overseas, as well as Peace Corps volunteers and civilian travelers, for decades. I am interested in speaking with active-duty personnel and vets of any overseas conflict who have taken mefloquine and experienced its side effects. These can range from temporary discomforts, such as dizzyiness and nausea, to more severe, including psychosis, hallucinations, depression, and suicidal ideation. It has also been linked to vestibular (balance) problems and seizures.
Through postings on other sites, I've been contacted by dozens of vets and active duty personnel and am amazed at how generous they've been with their time and stories. Those stories are enormously helpful to my research.
Please send e-mail to <jcm2043@columbia.edu> and I'd be happy to tell you more about my thesis. And do include your phone number so I can save you the long-distance call to NY.
Regards to all,
Julia Mead
Julia:

Do you want to hear from people who took it for extended periods with no ill-effects as well?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:15   #7
Mav
Guerrilla

When I was in Bagram five years ago, I was the only person who didn't have any obvious side effects from Mefloquine. Everyone dreaded Mefloquine Monday... I really didn't see any side effects, that I can tell.. tho I only took it for about 8 months..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPL Mick Bekowsky, USMC, 6 Sep 2004, Fallujah --- Never Forgotten
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:46   #8
CRad
Guerrilla

Malaria vs Treatment

Malaria -
VA Medical Center, Psychology (116-B), Iowa City, Iowa 52246, USA.

Approximately 250,000 Vietnam veterans suffered cerebral malaria, an illness that often results in damage to subcortical white matter and fronto-temporal areas of neocortex. Case reports dating back 2500 years indicate that survivors of cerebral malaria show depression, poor memory, personality change, and irritability/violence. The purpose of the present study was to compare the neuropsychiatric status of Vietnam veterans who had suffered cerebral malaria in the remote past (i.e., 1966 to 1969) with that of Vietnam veterans wounded in combat who had not suffered malaria or other neurological conditions. Findings indicate that cerebral malaria results in multiple, major, substantially underappreciated neuropsychiatric symptoms in Vietnam veterans, including poor dichotic listening, "personality change," depression, and, in some cases, partial seizure-like symptoms. Findings strongly suggest that history of malaria should be considered in any medical, psychological, or psychiatric workup of a Vietnam War veteran because a positive response could result in substantial changes in diagnosis and treatment.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Treatment -

The most frequently reported adverse events are nausea, vomiting, loose stools or diarrhea, abdominal pain, dizziness or vertigo, loss of balance, and neuropsychiatric events such as headache, somnolence, and sleep disorders (insomnia, abnormal dreams). These are usually mild and may decrease despite continued use.

Occasionally, more severe neuropsychiatric disorders have been reported such as: sensory and motor neuropathies (including paresthesia, tremor and ataxia), convulsions, agitation or restlessness, anxiety, depression, mood changes, panic attacks, forgetfulness, confusion, hallucinations, aggression, psychotic or paranoid reactions and encephalopathy. Rare cases of suicidal ideation and suicide have been reported though no relationship to drug administration has been confirmed.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/mefloq_ad.htm
Old 01-31-2007, 16:13   #9
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipgunlead
x2. And only while I was on it.

Know a TL who did room clearing (without a gun) while sleepwalking on it...
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 16:37   #10
CRad
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor

There are teams guys who did the same thing before the lariam name ever came up. If you want specifics either e-mail or pm
Old 01-31-2007, 18:24   #11
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor

Restoril and some other sleep aids will do that as well.

I wonder how many of these people were on other meds, or were drinking at the same time?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:07   #12
Irish_Army01
Guerrilla

We get it going to Liberia,..Bad dreams being one of the major side effects..
The Doc's will only let you take it up to a maximum of 9 months on any deployment..our deployments are usually 6 months ..and extend for another 6..

when on larium you can only extend for another 3 months.
Irish_Army01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 21:57   #13
rwt_bkk
Quiet Professional

I had an optimoligist working for me in Laos. He took Lariam and developed a bad case of tremors. He thought is was time to quite surgery and was going to retire. Then after returning to the states the tremors ceased. Later he went to a seminar on Lariam and found it was one of the side effects.

Personally I spent 9 years in a area that was 80% malarial without contacting marlaria (only got it once in 1969 on a 7 day trip to the same area). I have relied on doxycycline and artemesia only (never had to take the artemsia). I have also treated more than 10,000 people for malaria in an environment where Lariam is much too expensive. I rely totally on doxy and artemsia and get very low reoccurance rates and no side effects from the artemsia treatment (combined with doxy for adults and non-nursing mothers).

A lot of the people that came over were taking Lariam as perscribed by the stateside doctors, but one of my understandings were that it was very hard on the liver too limiting it's usufulness for those of us that had to live in these areas for years at a time.

Personally I would look for alternatives..

"Fortune Favors the Bold!"
rwt_bkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:34   #14
Irish_Army01
Guerrilla

I know this thread is a little old but just FYI, A member of the Irish Army has started a Facebook page looking for Personal with side effects to come forward.

There has been 9 suicides over the last two years, (last one a Sgt still on his leave from Chad 3 weeks ago) all have been on larium.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...23004011065529
Irish_Army01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 20:41   #15
zauber1
Auxiliary

Use during Desert Storm?

Was this used during Desert Storm? I had been in the big Army for over 10 years and never ever had a bad reaction to anything that was injected, inserted or otherwise administered to my body. Then during the inprocessing phase of recall to active status, SOMETHING that I took or was injected with gave me a severe anaphylactic reaction (tremors, shakes, hypothermia) and I was nonchalantly labelled, "Oh yeah, Charlie. We've got another one over here doing the same thing." I was rushed to the post hospital and given more Benadryl than I have ever seen in injectable form for four days. Then released without explanation...
Could it have been Lariam given as a prophylactic?