Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 12-07-2017, 19:28   #16
HardRoad
Quiet Professional

Location: Georgia, Florida and North Carolina (its complicated)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...t=10561&page=8

I always love when Doc's refer to us sociopaths or psychopathic (but in a good way right?).
As far as I can tell, all that stuff started with Grossman and On Killing. IIRC, he contended that about 2% of the population were sociopaths, which he defined as someone who lacks a deep visceral, psychological inhibition against violence and killing. According to him, sociopaths might be good people, and there actions might be constrained by an ethical framework, but deep down, they don't mind killing and aren't affected by it the way the other 98% are. He also contended that people who lacked an inhibition against violence were disproportionately represented in organizations like SF.

I always thought his analysis was a little one-dimensional, but it was a great book to carry if you wanted some peace and quiet on an airplane. Pull out a copy of a book called On Killing, start ostentatiously reading it, and amazingly, your seatmate would stop trying to engage you in conversation and leave you alone.
HardRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 19:35   #17
k-rub
Quiet Professional

I know real PTSD is a thing, but I've seen way too many people receiving disability and getting free shit for having PTSD. This results in my extremely jaded view of the PTSD situation.

How about the term Post Traumatic Growth? Boom - mind blown. How about not becoming a victim of that nonsense and taking charge of your own life. How about using whatever you experienced as a catalyst for growth and self development? I've seen so many people choose this route despite whatever injury they have. Too many other people become self-inflicted victims of the PTSD epidemic. Fuck that.
k-rub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 21:14   #18
Surf n Turf
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRoad View Post
As far as I can tell, all that stuff started with Grossman and On Killing. IIRC, he contended that about 2% of the population were sociopaths, which he defined as someone who lacks a deep visceral, psychological inhibition against violence and killing. According to him, sociopaths might be good people, and there actions might be constrained by an ethical framework, but deep down, they don't mind killing and aren't affected by it the way the other 98% are. He also contended that people who lacked an inhibition against violence were disproportionately represented in organizations like SF.
HR,
Think the figure has to be > 2%

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. "

H. L. Mencken
US editor (1880 - 1956)

Democrats would burn down this country as long as they get to rule over the ashes

The FBI’s credibility was murdered by a sniper on Ruby Ridge; its corpse was burned to ashes outside Waco; soiled in a Delaware PC repair shop;. and buried in the basement of Mar-a-Lago..
Surf n Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 22:47   #19
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
PTSD is a cottage industry within the SFL - TAP program these days. I can't tell you how many hacks "coached" us to claim PTSD and a host of ailments when I retired. For what reason...?? I don't know. it seems suicidal. It's along the lines of the hacks who coached everyone to claim "Sleep Apnea". If you are a fat-phuc, you may have sleep issues but they aren't "service connected"; it's because you are a fat-phuc. It's all about the snowflakes gaming the system nowadays.
I can confirm the PTSD-coaching scam. I got a call from this pushy Jesse Jackson-sounding a-hole from one of the other companies at Ft Carson's WTU when it was determined I was to be medically retired. I would have actually been appreciative if that ass had called to get me screened for Sleep Apnea. I'd been doing the suffocation in my sleep routine for years with no idea what was going on.

I didn't get diagnosed until a few years after retirement when I could only get 3-5 hours of some kind of sleep and my vitals starting going all over the place. I was being diagnosed for hyper tension, high BP, heart disease and a few other left field ailments that should never have shown up. When I put myself in for testing, the docs were stunned by how bad my condition had progressed. The VA, however, declined my claim saying I waited too long to put the claim in despite having a witness testimony from my junior 18D who served with me in Iraq. I'm 6'2", 210 and was 45 at the time I was diagnosed. Not exactly your candidate for apnea.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:02   #20
JimP
Quiet Professional

TS - spot on. If you talk to any of the psychs they'll tell you that they got into the field to figure out their own jacked-up lives. The folks you quoted are fearful-mouse types; they can't fathom how someone can exhibit dominant or assertive traits so they make excuses and assign labels to it. it makes them uncomfortable to be around men and they have no freaking clue how to deal with a dominant type-A personality...they fear us so they have to make us out to be evil.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:41   #21
EricV
Guerrilla

In one sense, your more spiritually advanced when you find and integrate your "Dark Side."

https://youtu.be/fesSvXKxYd0
Old 12-08-2017, 11:19   #22
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Sometimes it has nothing to do with being over weight. At times it is how your throat is built. I was lucky and had surgery. my brother the same, and he is 5'9" 165 or so.

Not sure how sleep apnia can be a VA related issue but I am far from an expert.
Corrective surgery? No kidding? Interesting. I'd love to find an alternative to the CPAP or any breathing aid. I look and feel like I'm on life support when I go to bed. For some reason, ladies just can't get in the mood with a guy who breathes like Lord Vader. Go figure. (That brings up all kinds of comical images.)