Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 11-29-2017, 17:39   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Medical Marijuana Cardholders to Surrender Their Firearms

This one I like........ stupid potheads.

Honolulu Police Order Medical Marijuana Cardholders to Surrender Their Firearms

by AWR Hawkins29 Nov 2017

KITV reports that Honolulu police are doing this via letters to cardholders demanding they “surrender weapons, permits, and ammunition to HPD or to transfer ownership.”
On November 28 The Honolulu Star reported that police have been sending letters throughout the year and the one dated November 13 was signed by HPD chief Susan Ballard. It says, “Your medical marijuana use disqualifies you from ownership of firearms and ammunition.”

Ballard points to Hawaii Revised Statutes, Section 134-7 (a), which says, “No person who is a fugitive from justice or is a person prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition under federal law shall own, possess, or control any firearm or ammunition therefor.”

On August 31, 2016, Breitbart News reported that the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled that a ban on gun ownership for medical marijuana users is constitutional. The decision was based on the fact that marijuana use remains illegal on the federal level, whether state-sanctioned or not. This means medical marijuana cardholders cannot pass background check form 4473 and, therefore, cannot legally purchase a firearm.
Form 4473 asks if the would-be firearm purchaser is “an unlawful user of…marijuana.” No one who answers “yes” to that question can purchase a gun.

cont:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...nder-firearms/
Old 11-29-2017, 18:14   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
As long as pot is on the federal nark list,,
you can't sign an ATF E-Form 4473 (5300.9),,, without lying..

https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download

Question 11.e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

A similar problem is "pending" for vets that get the VA to give them service connected PTSD.. When you ask the VA doctors to "adjudicate",, you're screwed..

11.f. Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution? (See Instructions for Question 11.f)

Quote:
Question 11.f. Adjudicated as a Mental Defective: A determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that a person, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease: (1) is a danger to himself or to others; or (2) lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his own affairs. This term shall include: (1) a finding of insanity by a court in a criminal case; and (2) those persons found incompetent to stand trial or found not guilty by reason of lack of mental responsibility.
The pot question can easily be removed.. If I can drink a beer, what's the dif??...

The PTSD should not be altered.

PTSD as defined by NIMH

Quote:
  • Re-experiencing symptoms:
    • Flashbacks—reliving the trauma over and over, including physical symptoms like a racing heart or sweating
    • Bad dreams
    • Frightening thoughts
    Re-experiencing symptoms may cause problems in a person’s everyday routine. They can start from the person’s own thoughts and feelings. Words, objects, or situations that are reminders of the event can also trigger re-experiencing symptoms.
  • Avoidance symptoms:
    • Staying away from places, events, or objects that are reminders of the experience
    • Avoiding thoughts or feelings related to the traumatic event

Things or situations that remind a person of the traumatic event can trigger avoidance symptoms. These symptoms may cause a person to change his or her personal routine. For example, after a bad car accident, a person who usually drives may avoid driving or riding in a car.
  • Arousal and reactivity symptoms:
    • Being easily startled
    • Feeling tense or “on edge”
    • Having difficulty sleeping, and/or having angry outbursts

Arousal symptoms are usually constant, instead of being triggered by something that brings back memories of the traumatic event. They can make the person feel stressed and angry. These symptoms may make it hard to do daily tasks, such as sleeping, eating, or concentrating.
  • Cognition and mood symptoms:
    • Trouble remembering key features of the traumatic event
    • Negative thoughts about oneself or the world
    • Distorted feelings like guilt or blame
    • Loss of interest in enjoyable activities

Cognition and mood symptoms can begin or worsen after the traumatic event. These symptoms can make the person feel alienated or detached from friends or family members.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 21:26   #3
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Interesting Catch-22. They are ok if you smoke marijuana but NOT if you also own a firearm.

F^&* them!

I’m a free man and will do either or both as I decide.
Old 11-30-2017, 21:01   #4
P36
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctom54 View Post
Interesting Catch-22. They are ok if you smoke marijuana but NOT if you also own a firearm.

F^&* them!

I’m a free man and will do either or both as I decide.
But guns and booze are just fine!
Old 12-01-2017, 08:52   #5
Box
Quiet Professional

...booze IS a problem - but no one would try to take guns from an alcoholic without precedent

Now, once they take away a potheads guns - let it simmer for a few weeks to see if there are any court cases filed in protest - they can come after the guns of those with booze.

Liberals aren't going to outlaw guns. Its too hard to get a good enough hold on the rope while you are trying to dig your feet in...

No siree Bob... liberals will outlaw YOU. They CANT outlaw guns because it will keep guns away from ANTIFA and the other violent liberal groups they rely on to instill fear in the populace. They will outlaw lead and pistol grips and bayonet lugs and free speech.

But weed is a victimless crime so lets change the subject and jail these dangerous drugged out gun toting crazy people.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:22   #6
Pete
Quiet Professional

PTSD

PTSD is the next shoe to drop.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:29   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
PTSD is the next shoe to drop.
Is it a mental issue/illness?

How many are PTSD frauds? Say 90%.

And that 90% are keeping a hundred thousand shrinks in BMW's.

Take them.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:08   #8
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
The VA spent 8.5 BILLION for PTSD between 2010 - 2012..

Wonder how much they would hand out if they prefaced the comp with mandatory gun confiscation??

PTSD is real, for some vets,, and they need the help.
For many others,, it's a welfare check..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 13:56   #9
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

The VA is a federal service and as such has to follow federal law which my agency controls. No matter how much they want the DEA has to approve it and as of yesterday they have no intent to do so. This is why medical MJ is a sticker issue and every doctor that jumps on the medical MJband wagon is at risk of losing their license and capability to prescribe medicine. Currently no Pharmacy’s can dispense medical MJ as they to would lose their licenses and thus you have private businesses popping up in the states to do this.

It is funny that Wednesday during a meeting with our local ATF counterparts for a case I asked them if they were the reason the letters being sent in HI to turn in their firearms and ammo. They swore that they have not initiated this and the local PD came up with it in HI. Also the PD has access to the records for the cards because they are under the same state department from what I heard. That seams convenient that HI would put the program under the same arm of the state government.

Kinda blows the conspiracy nuts that the ATF and big Gov are behind this pulling the strings of the local PD.......

SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 14:50   #10
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by P36 View Post
But guns and booze are just fine!
That’s not true. Check your state’s law on possession, discharge or carriage of a firearm while under the influence of alcohol. Not all states do and those that do have different criteria and levels to have committed a violation; either misdemeanor or felony.

There are federal and state clauses banning habitual abusers and clinically diagnosed alcoholics from possessing firearms too but, who’s enforcing those laws?

There are literally thousands of gun laws in the books, so many in fact that none of them will ever prevent even law abiding citizens from breaking several each and every day they grab their gun and leave the house. There are probably laws that are broken while in your house and not in possession of your owned firearms.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 15:28   #11
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
That’s not true. Check your state’s law on possession, discharge or carriage of a firearm while under the influence of alcohol. Not all states do and those that do have different criteria and levels to have committed a violation; either misdemeanor or felony.

There are federal and state clauses banning habitual abusers and clinically diagnosed alcoholics from possessing firearms too but, who’s enforcing those laws?

There are literally thousands of gun laws in the books, so many in fact that none of them will ever prevent even law abiding citizens from breaking several each and every day they grab their gun and leave the house. There are probably laws that are broken while in your house and not in possession of your owned firearms.
In Texas I would lose my License to Carry if I were under the influence while carrying.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 15:43   #12
Chucko
Guerrilla

In Wisconsin you can CC and sit in a bar, but you cannot consume any liquor. I suppose carrying and drinking don't mix.
Old 12-02-2017, 14:37   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
In Wisconsin you can CC and sit in a bar, but you cannot consume any liquor. I suppose carrying and drinking don't mix.

Same in Arizona. Makes sense as most restaurants sell alcohol.
Old 12-02-2017, 18:28   #14
Chucko
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Same in Arizona. Makes sense as most restaurants sell alcohol.
I never drink but I would not go into a bar without a CC.

In the distant past the only time I was going to get my face pushed in was when I was sitting in a bar minding my own business but then out of the blue, someone didn't like the way I looked. It would be hard not to draw down on a drunken boozer even considering the possible outcomes. So I just stay away.
Old 12-02-2017, 19:47   #15
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
In Texas I would lose my License to Carry if I were under the influence while carrying.
Montana is the same. Also it is illegal to go into a bar with concealed weapon regardless of permit to carry or not.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote